Preview Rd 11 2018 Sydney vs Carlton @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sydney vs Carlton Preview

This is a game that I am looking forward to and it isn’t for the obvious reasons. I have been impressed with Carlton’s trajectory in 2018 so if we are thinking this will be a walk in the park, think again. We will have to play very well to win; if we are 5% off we will get our pants pulled down.

Sydney

We have been in great form over the last 5 weeks, only dropping a game to North, who has been very good this year. It probably isn’t as bad a loss as it seems on face value. Sydney are coming off a game in the wet against Brisbane so we will need to manage our bodies this week, probably with a lighter training load for some players.

The younger players continually are showing fantastic signs. Florent is turning out to be that elite decision maker we recruited him for, with 3 back-to-back 20-possession games. His hurt factor is massive, he makes every possession count. These players are invaluable. Ronke has been a revelation and has forces the selection committee to drop Rohan, as he has come into the side and given more than Rohan has for quite a while.

The older players in our side are finally finding form. It has been a very patchy season for Josh Kennedy but he’s starting to find his groove. This is important as we head into the business part of the season. We do badly need Hanners playing well though he still looked quite injured against Brisbane.

Carlton

They have shown some good signs this season, with moving the ball quicker and kicking larger scores. They have some extremely good young players in Curnow who is a superstar in waiting. He hasn’t had that 6+ goal game yet but this will come soon. The ability he has to read the ball and position himself is great to watch.

I'll say this straight out but Patrick Cripps is is the best inside mid in the competition- if we are not careful he will give us a bath. Getting this matchup right will be a key thing for us winning. He is so good in the air as he is taller than most, providing a marking target, but his hands in the middle are lightning. The reality is he will get 30ish possessions, we just have to really hope those possessions aren’t hurtful.

Carlton has an advantage in the ruck, with Kruezer. We have to find a way to counter him. He basically plays as an extra midfielder and he works hard up and down the ground, with a huge motor for a ruck. The battle between him and Sinclair will be interesting to watch.

Changes

The following players are chances: Nic Newman, Gary Rohan, and Lewis Melican.

Personally, for this game I expect to go in unchanged.

Prediction: Sydney Swans by 52 points

Last edited:
I'd like to see Cameron get a run instead of McCartin.
McCartin has been adequate, but nothing more, Cameron has been consistently in the bests in the reserves.

We picked Cameron up after a season in the WAFL where he played as a genuine fwd with second ruck responsibility.
IMO that skillset fits a need.
I'm not that keen on a back-up ruck plan that revolves around 189cm Harry Marsh (and the previous week JPK/Parker/Rohan), either structurally or functionally.
We are giving Sinclair a significant workload as basically our sole ruck, particularly for a guy who has previously been a hybrid fwd/ruck.

At this point in time,for me, Cameron makes more sense than McCartin.

I’d be surprised to see Cripps playing this weekend. If he doesn’t, god help Carlton. I know we grind out wins but I can honestly see us opening them up without him. 80+ points without Cripps. 30+ with Cripps. (Yes he is with 50 points a game to Carlton)

I'd have no issue with giving Cameron a game this week for sure. Mccartin has been serviceable even in trying conditions last week- but I think Cameron needs to be given a game soon (in case of disaster with Sinclair) and his form in reserves has apparently deserved it.

Otherwise hard to see many changes, Newman knocking down the door and Robinson continuing to dominate reserves but unable to transfer it to seniors.

If Cripps is out we should seriously be picking up a lot of % this week- Carlton have a lot of talented youngsters but they shouldn't be getting near our list atm.

McCartin has been adequate, but nothing more, Cameron has been consistently in the bests in the reserves.

We picked Cameron up after a season in the WAFL where he played as a genuine fwd with second ruck responsibility.
I'm not that keen on a back-up ruck plan that revolves around 189cm Harry Marsh (and the previous week JPK/Parker/Rohan), either structurally or functionally.
We are giving Sinclair a significant workload as basically our sole ruck, particularly for a guy who has previously been a hybrid fwd/ruck.

It’s great that we have given McCartin a couple of games, I agree that it’s now time to give Cameron a go. McCartin hasn’t done enough to hold down his spot and we should give Cameron a chance to show us what he can do on the big stage.

Let’s not forget that McCartin was the youngest player drafted and has plenty of time to develop. He has had a taste for afl, he surely knows what he needs to do to succeed at the top level. Go back to the NEAFL and work your craft

It’s great that we have given McCartin a couple of games, I agree that it’s now time to give Cameron a go. McCartin hasn’t done enough to hold down his spot and we should give Cameron a chance to show us what he can do on the big stage.

Let’s not forget that McCartin was the youngest player drafted and has plenty of time to develop. He has had a taste for afl, he surely knows what he needs to do to succeed at the top level. Go back to the NEAFL and work your craft

I can see where you are coming from, but what about (with all due respect to Carlton) letting Mccartin play the easier home game fixture whilst he’s in the side, just see what he does for another week at least
plus I think the wet didn’t suit him and his running patterns still seemed quite good to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7 posts to get off topic. Record?! Hahah yes I think he will go. But who cares, he won’t be coming to Sydney

What if he comes cheap? I’d kick the tyres. Hey it’s Carlton we should piss this game in, need to talk about something , can’t all be buddy’s goals and Cripps height

Danger game
Could be ? But its about playing games at home and winning. We have a great record winning away from
home this year. Which is great, but its about time our loyal fans who turn up to our home games week after week get some reward.Swans by 30+

Well now what am I going to say now I've turned up...
I wonder if Stoddart holds his spot? Wouldn't mind seeing him get another go, but there's a fair few guys pressing in the NEAFL and Rohan may get his auto spot back...which to be fair this might be the kind of game to run him into some form.
What's O'riordan's game style? Is he ready for this game?

If there is one team I truly detest it is the Carlton filth.

This Club either stinks it up by being sheer dross or having periods of buying success, usually under the table.

They are now at last estimates, 20 years into a 40 year re-build. But how can you rebuild on the rotten foundations of sheer and utter filth.

Thinking about it, I cannot see the tiniest positive thing to say about this disgrace. If white collar crime was a virtue this mob would be St Carlton.

I really hope Mr Horse will set our blokes to smite these (insert expletives) in the best traditions. No prisoners to be taken. A 100plus shellacking is required. Only the balm of slaughter will ease my eyes of the memories of Round 6 from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back