Preview Rd 15 vs Geelong - Ins & Outs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Geelongs 'ins' compared against our 'outs' does not fill me with confidence.

Ottens scares me when he's up forward. Shoey will have a VERY big task. And then there's also Pods... It's a bit scary really. Let's just hope gibbo and stratton play good 3rd man up games, because we'll need them.

I'm suddenly not as confident as I was a few days ago.

Agree Buddy-Boy - exactly what I thought when I opened this thread.

For what it's worth Liam Pickering reckons that OTTENS won't play; but I don't put much stock in that call...

Ladson would have still been dehydrated by all accounts was pretty badly crook last weekend...that's probably why he wasn't selected.
I think it does make our backline look strong and maybe a little heavy but I think when you look at the two blokes coming in there is no problem with those two names.

I think Ottens will play majority forward and Gilham will get first crack at him, Schoenmakers will take Podsiadly first up. Gibson will alternate with Schoenmakers and will play mostly as a loose defender filling the hole. The rest of their forward line are smalls and we do have some good match ups. Stratton is a guy who can play equally tall and small and I wouldn't mind seeing him take Chapman (if Chapman gets on top then Guerra can take him). I think Guerra should start on Varcoe and use his strong body to intimidate him and hopefully get him off his game.

Gilham->Ottens
Schoenmakers/Gibson->Podsiadly
Stratton->Chapman
Guerra->Varcoe
Murphy->Stokes
Birchall->Byrnes

I think Brown and Skipper will start forward to try and stretch their defense, Burgoyne will start in the middle, Lewis on the wing and Young on the pine

Milburn->Skipper
Taylor->Franklin
Enright->Rioli
Hunt->Osbourne
Scarlett->Brown
Mackie->Peterson
Lonergan->Roughead

As for midfield match-ups I think Bateman will try and exploit Ablett's lack of defensive bones and tag him but run like mad going forward. I wouldn't mind seeing Renoulf getting on his bike with Mark Blake's lack of footballing ability not holding him back. Obviously Ling will take Hodge.

Renoulf->Blake
Skipper->Ottens
Bateman->Ablett
Ling->Hodge
Sewell->Selwood
Lewis and Bartel will be good to watch as well!

Big game for us but I think we have the side to do it in a close 1!!

2008 - present
Ottens has kicked a total of one goal against us.

I know he gives us headaches if he goes forward with matchups but I really am not concerned about him as a forward. As a ruckman he's a damn brute.

But this is with other plodders such as Mooney, Lonergan... etc. No real other forwards that command heavy attention so all our focus can be put onto ottens.

Him + Pods is what worries me.

He is coming back from a lengthy time out, so I'm thinking he'll sit FF all day with the occasional run in the guts if they need it (which is likely given the games between us over the last few years).

Wow. Geelongs 'ins' compared against our 'outs' does not fill me with confidence.

Ottens scares me when he's up forward. Shoey will have a VERY big task. And then there's also Pods... It's a bit scary really. Let's just hope gibbo and stratton play good 3rd man up games, because we'll need them.

I'm suddenly not as confident as I was a few days ago.

I wonder what the opposition think when confronted with Buddy, Roughy and Cyril?

Cyril has always been covered by enright and enright played on his last time and he was faily quiet. I think its time to make a statement and quieten all the doubters since our 2008 premiership. Time to put it to Geelong and see if they respond. I know we will and the best team will win the team that wants it more. The team that has more to gain from this win. US

Cmon Hawks

they can but do we want them to? only Ellis out of that bunch is a legitimate midfielder.

At least as much as we want Muston, Moss, JKT or Tuck to atm I'd reckon, if not more.

I'm just saying we've got plenty of options to rotate through the midfield in the named squad, especially when you consider the forwards as well...

Interesting LP - that other than Mitch we are at about full strength - not yet near full capacity - but a good place to start!

Would love to see Burgoyne have a huge one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really think it doesnt matter thier ins compared to our ins we will still win
Cant see the hawks giving this one to the cats, after all they gave the last 2 games to em, and they know that and it will motivate them to win

I think we look really strong even with Sam the man out of the team. Seems to be such a depth of talent that can rotate through the midfield, additional marking strength up forward with Champ Peterson and the team should have gained tremendously in experience and maturity since the 2008 GF. I really feel that our pace is a big advantage and can see Cyril running amuck.

Go Hawks!

On paper it looks real ugly for us.

As another poster said we look top heavy and I expect the small forwards of the Cats to be far too nimble for us.

Hodge is going to have to put in a big one to beat Ling and give us a chance.

Brown to stay down back for me. Gibson or Birchall can play more of a midfield role. My concern is around the stoppages. The Cats are so good in that area. If Lewis and Sewell struggle I'd be tempted to move Guerra into the middle. He's strong at the contest and generally makes the right decisions. I'm happy with our backline. Would like to see Skipper sent back on to Ottens whenever he goes forward. (A big ask for Shoenmakers to take him.) Gilham on J-Pod and Stratton rebounding out of half back.

I'm looking for Roughy to step up. He showed some good signs last week. He needs to persist with his set shots or play on when possible and kick it on the run ala Buddy. (His "nothing" shot out on the full against the Bulldogs late in the last quarter was such a waste and shows how little confidence he has in his kicking.)

Huge game for us. Win and the Cats will be looking in their rear vision mirror for the rest of the season. Mooney and Johnson are huge outs for them, so on paper, despite Mitchell missing, I think we have a better side. However the Cats just know how to win. If we play like last week we should win by about 3-4 goals...

On paper it looks real ugly for us.

As another poster said we look top heavy and I expect the small forwards of the Cats to be far too nimble for us.

Hodge is going to have to put in a big one to beat Ling and give us a chance.

If there's one area of geelongs team that has never worried me and doubt it has ever worried any team is their forward line. If it wasn't for the drive from their midfield and defence i doubt their forward line would rate in the top 12-14 in the comp. Carlton have much better small forwards and we took them to the cleaners.

I reckon we'd have belted geelong in round 2 if we had support for renouf, and this time round we have it. And no-one should worry about enright or lonergan doing good jobs on cyril and buddy last time, we all know how much they've improved since that game.

If there's one area of geelongs team that has never worried me and doubt it has ever worried any team is their forward line. If it wasn't for the drive from their midfield and defence i doubt their forward line would rate in the top 12-14 in the comp. Carlton have much better small forwards and we took them to the cleaners.

I reckon we'd have belted geelong in round 2 if we had support for renouf, and this time round we have it. And no-one should worry about enright or lonergan doing good jobs on cyril and buddy last time, we all know how much they've improved since that game.

I agree that Geelong's forward line is normally the least of the oppositions worries. In my opinion that's when it's filled with stars such as Gamble, Mooney and Hawkins as the centre pieces.

They'll go small with Chapman & Ablett supporting Byrnes & Stokes though and use the Otten inclusion to scare us.

We are much better shape than in Round 2:
Guys who didn't play Round 2: Burgoyne, Sewell, Skipper, Stratton, Young
Guys who played Round 2, not this week: Mitchell, Hooper, Ladson, Morton, Shiels
Guys who were underdone in Round 2: Franklin, Bateman, Rioli
Guys who are in better form than in Round 2: Franklin, Rioli, Murphy, Ossie, Ellis, Birchall, Hodge.

On the other side of things Geelong have Taylor, Ling, Ottens, Corey all underdone. No Johnson and no Mooney.

If it is wet and Ottens doesn't play I can see Schoey being omitted and Muston or Savage coming in to play in the midfield.

I agree that Geelong's forward line is normally the least of the oppositions worries. In my opinion that's when it's filled with stars such as Gamble, Mooney and Hawkins as the centre pieces.

They'll go small with Chapman & Ablett supporting Byrnes & Stokes though and use the Otten inclusion to scare us.

with respect, we have scored more than any other team, so i wouldn't write off the forward line. Totally agree that we don't have a key forward that will kick 80 plus in a season. but we regularly have more than 10 goal scorers. So if a large number of players are chipping in with 1, 2 or 3 goals then that's much harder to stop than relying on one key forward.

As for Gamble, ... grrr. But I don't think (hope) we'll see much more of him. I won't buy in to the Mooney & Hawkins discussion, leave that on the Bay where it belongs!

Should be a cracker of a game, it usually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back