Preview Rd 15 vs Geelong - Ins & Outs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a bad feeling about this game.
I think we're going to get done by 6 goals +

Even if we had Mitchell I don't think we'd win

Geelong will bully us, Hodge won't be able to break his tag, and Buddy will be well held. Game over

with respect, we have scored more than any other team, so i wouldn't write off the forward line. Totally agree that we don't have a key forward that will kick 80 plus in a season. but we regularly have more than 10 goal scorers. So if a large number of players are chipping in with 1, 2 or 3 goals then that's much harder to stop than relying on one key forward.

As for Gamble, ... grrr. But I don't think (hope) we'll see much more of him. I won't buy in to the Mooney & Hawkins discussion, leave that on the Bay where it belongs!

Should be a cracker of a game, it usually is.

Pretty much what I said except we have differing views on Mooney & Hawkins :thumbsu:.

I just wish the usual cracker of a game didn't keep ending up on your side of the coin :(

Ottens has been named by Geelong, but I don't think he'll play. If he does, he'll be seriously out of match practice, and hasn't been able to do much running training. I reckon he'll blow up pretty quickly if he's on the field for any length of time.

I think that he'll play at FF, with a little time in the ruck. If it's wet that won't help him. Up to the crumbers to get around him. If he doesn't play, West is in.

Will we put a lot of faith in our side and play tom murphy on paul chapman? He's about the right size and chapman struggles under a tag.

Chances are Gibson will get him but on Murphy's form I'd trust him to take any smaller forward. Maybe have a go on Duncan cause he's younger and Murphy seems to be the good bully on small forwards.

If Burgoyne was gonna choose a time to stand up, this is the game. We are all waiting for it. Let it be this one. When you watch him and Sammy in the midfield together, they seem to run into each other as their game styles are markedly similar. Surely with Sammy out Burgers should have less friendly fire to run into.

I think that he'll play at FF, with a little time in the ruck. If it's wet that won't help him. Up to the crumbers to get around him. If he doesn't play, West is in.

Yes, if Ottens plays he'll probably be doing just that. In which case I predict Gilham will have an enormous amount of fun running off him and setting up rebounds from defence. I think playing Ottens will just suck a rotation out of the bench for Geelong. Can't see him being terribly effective. We'll see.

By the way guys - this is the first time we'll see our two big off-season recruits in the same side. You know, the two that are supposed to address our two key weaknesses: pace and defence. I'm really looking forward to this game just to see us with an (except for Mitch) full side.

Settle down LP, Skipper isn't that quick! :D

It's really been our FIVE big off-season recruits. Rhan Hooper is now in our best 22, Stratton (along with Murphy) is the rock holding our defence together while Skipper has certainly been one of the first guys picked over the last 7 weeks. Amazing that we could recruit 5 mature players and they'd all play an important part in our success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's really been our FIVE big off-season recruits. Rhan Hooper is now in our best 22, Stratton (along with Murphy) is the rock holding our defence together while Skipper has certainly been one of the first guys picked over the last 7 weeks. Amazing that we could recruit 5 mature players and they'd all play an important part in our success.

Not sure I can put Hooper in our best 22 yet. He has to be on the field with rather more consistency before I'd make that claim.

'Mature age' recruits were largely forced by the advent of GC and GWS and all their priority selections. Clubs had to look further than the standard syndrome of grabbing young talent coming out of the U18's carnival (a lot of which don't make the grade) or the occasional re-cycling of other AFL players.

With the success of so many (Pods, Barlow, Stratton in particular), there may be a seachange in recruiting policies with clubs looking at (relatively) older players that have proven themselves at a tougher level. Especially with KPP's, they take longer to develop and are more hit or miss than young gun midfielders.

I've got a bad feeling about this game.
I think we're going to get done by 6 goals +

Even if we had Mitchell I don't think we'd win

Geelong will bully us, Hodge won't be able to break his tag, and Buddy will be well held. Game over
If we go in with that mindset we are screwed.

I have had a brainstorm that tells me that gibson will line up on chappy. Yes he is a candidate for Pods and i wouldn't be surprised if he did but chappy i feel is more dangerous and gibson has played through the middle. The only problem will be fitness. Given he is come back from injury but then again so has chappy just back last week. hmm still covered a lot of ground though what do you guys think?

2008 - present
Ottens has kicked a total of one goal against us.

I know he gives us headaches if he goes forward with matchups but I really am not concerned about him as a forward. As a ruckman he's a damn brute.

Forgive the intrusion guys, but you're absolutely spot on LP. He can take the odd strong mark up forward, but his kicking for goal is anything but reliable (despite the commentators drooling over his technique). It's no coincidence that we turned things around since 2007 - precisely when Ottens started playing full-time in the ruck.

I doubt he'd have the fitness to ruck a whole game, just hope he can do enough to compete. If it rains heavily you'd suspect both sides will only play one big guy on the ground anyway.

they can but do we want them to? only Ellis out of that bunch is a legitimate midfielder.

Perhaps. But in relation to the question of whether we are over laden with backmen rather than midfielders, the answer is no when you consider that many of those backmen can also be thrown into the midfield in a pinch and still be a better option than the alternatives suggested (Tuck, JKT, Shiels).

Between Lewis, Sewell, Burgoyne and Hodge we have plenty of grunt midfielders. Throw Bateman, Young, Ellis, Rioli and Birch in the mix and I think our midfield goes OK.

I am for picking the best possible players at this stage. I don't think we have a straight like for like swap for Mitchell so why bring a poor man's version in? (I don't mean that with any disrespect to those players in that position either).

By the way guys - this is the first time we'll see our two big off-season recruits in the same side. You know, the two that are supposed to address our two key weaknesses: pace and defence. I'm really looking forward to this game just to see us with an (except for Mitch) full side.

They were the big name recruits but I still have a lot of love for Hooper. I think he will be very important for us if we get him back out there. Loved what he has shown in his brief appearances.

COME ON LADS, WE CAN BEAT THE PUSSIES!!!!

Roughie kicks straight.

Brownie has a rough as guts fantastic return game

Gibson Holds his Geelong player well and contrinutes to our win

Buddy is on Fire and manages to kick 6 goals, Roughie kicks 4.

We owe the pussies a win, we will beat them, we owe it to ourselves to beat them on this occasion, **** the cats, lets beat them, its LONG OVER DUE.

Crappy st kilda did it without golden pants riewoldt, we can do it.

Whilst Gibson is in the side i've heard a whisper about him and the same gastro bug that got Laddo.

Hoping it's wrong as we'll need him big time.

Umpires in and outs...GOOD NEWS!!!!

In:
FIELD UMPIRES:​
Ray Chamberlain (18) Troy Pannell (28) Shane McInerney (30)

Out:
FIELD UMPIRES:
Michael Vozzo (2) Stephen McBurney (3) Luke Farmer (4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back