Preview Rd 18 Carlton v Sydney Sat 23 July - 1.45pm @ SCG - Team post #166

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely has done enough to indicate he COULD be a very good small forward type player in the future...considering the injury issues he's had.
Has shown glimpses of pace and skill.

Yep, seen enough of Sumner to see there is a lot to work with and a full pre-season will do him wonders.

Disappointing that Jaksch is not getting another run. I think we needed to play him for the rest of the year and see if he is worth persissting with. But by dropping him I think that they have already made up there mind, he won't be ther next year. This really makes a bust of that whole trade, which is a shame as Whiley might be in the same boat.

True, if it is a bust, it is a bust. Not much point trying to put head in sand if they believe they seen enough already. The recruiter is gone that gave away pick 7 as part of that deal. I did not like it at the time but hoped it would work out. Looking very unlikely at this moment.
Although from my standpoint I would like to see Jaksch play a few more games but the guys in charge have seen his VFL games and training efforts so at end of day I will trust their call on him at end of season. At this stage I just see there are 6 or 7 games at VFL or AFL level for Jaksch to make a strong case for his spot on list.

You have to consider SOS was the one who originally drafted him and then let him go after his first contract, so it's fair to say he has a pretty decent understanding of him as a footballer.

Jaksch comes across as an intelligent, well-spoken and well-meaning guy and that coupled with his talent in the Under 18's made him a good prospect for any club. The trouble is, once you enter the AFL system, the parameters change completely. You're surrounded by the most talented players in the country, you're battling for positions, you have to be self-driven and there are a number of challenges you have to overcome in order to succeed.

Contrast him with Patty Cripps, who bolted into first round contention after a strong back half of the season, seeks internal and external advice, always looks to squeeze that little bit extra out of himself, maximises his strengths and continues to work on his weaknesses; these are the mechanics of performance.

Similarly, contrast him with Jack Silvagni. Jack was a late draft pick and was one of the last expected to play senior footy in 2016 but his rate of development propelled him into the team. Over the space of 6 months he went from being the 40th rated player on the list to inside the Top 25 - that sort of upward trajectory is what coaches are looking for and shows the internal drive a player has. KJ has realistically stayed at a similar level.

It's the same reason Bontempelli rose up the draft ranks in the last month, why Fyfe went from being a half-forward flanker with X-Factor to one of the best contested midfielders in the league and why Ablett became the player he did at the Gold Coast - an intrinsic desire to succeed and the ability to extract the very best out of oneself.

Rate of development and personal proactivity are some of the biggest predictors of success.

True, if it is a bust, it is a bust. Not much point trying to put head in sand if they believe they seen enough already. The recruiter is gone that gave away pick 7 as part of that deal.

Unfortunately that recruiter that received that pick 7 so cunningly is now ours.

SOS did his job for GWS a little too well in that trade, if he knew he was coming to Carlton 12 months later.:(

Unfortunately that recruiter that received that pick 7 so cunningly is now ours.

SOS did his job for GWS a little too well in that trade, if he knew he was coming to Carlton 12 months later.:(

If Jaksch gets cut at end of year we will know , just like Menzel, SOS did not rate him at AFL level.
In most circumstances Jaksch would probably get another year but if he is chopped SOS saw something in him that just not up to standard.
Clearly he saw something in Menzel that he was willing to trade him out on. It was a surprise at the time but given not seen Menzel at all this year at AFL level, looking a very switched on trade deal. Will be watching with interest what we do in second off season of SOS in charge. I'm sensing he is in no mood to be hesitant on list management decisions. I am actually looking forward to when Dale Thomas present contract ends how far reduced the next contract offer might be for Thomas. I sense Thomas already knows he has an uphill battle just to get even close to what he is earning right now.

There was definitely nothing suspect about Silvagni been given games.
In the weeks leading up to his debut, his form was terrific and you could tell it was only a matter of time.

Jaksch was to have played before Silvagni, as he was selected but then became ill allowing Gorringe to stay in another week.
Nothing sus about things at all.

Jack has definately earnt his spot in the team and barring injury should be there for the remainder of the year. I'm looking forward to Mckay and Cunningham getting another run under there belts in the twos as well so hopefully we can sneak a senior game in for them as well if they play well enough over the next few weeks.

Jack has definately earnt his spot in the team and barring injury should be there for the remainder of the year. I'm looking forward to Mckay and Cunningham getting another run under there belts in the twos as well so hopefully we can sneak a senior game in for them as well if they play well enough over the next few weeks.

If their fitness holds up and at least some form warrants, you can bet on it.

A lot of objectives will then have been met this year, regardless of how we fare for the next few weeks.

If you compare it to jaksch's run prior to that, he kicked 4,1,4. When Jaksch finally played a senior game, there wasn't a special jumper in his name. Or a special video about his inclusion.

Call me a cynic, but there was more to Jacks selection than just football form.
Jack's attitude might be what separated them. Maybe Jack worked hard to get his goals. Maybe Jaksch was just on the end of some good play. From the highlights thats how it looked to me. Jack gets busy. Jaksch just seems to get on the end of a few. Not saying your right or wrong cas I dont get to the games, but I get that impression.

Addendum - The last 3 games before SOS got the call up he kicked 4, 4 and 3. Jaksch kicked 4, 1 and 4.

Last edited:
Just a terribly ineffectual footballer, the opposition just ignored him. Was at the game, and was amazed at how little presence he has. Absolutely zero threat. Didn't appear to be working too hard to get into it either. I have a feeling that may be the last we see of him.

Yep that's what stood out to me as well. That said, I would much rather give him another year to develop as opposed to keeping Everitt on who has zero upside.

Jack's attitude might be what separated them. Maybe Jack worked hard to get his goals. Maybe Jaksch was just on the end of some good play. From the highlights thats how it looked to me. Jack gets busy. Jaksch just seems to get on the end of a few. Not saying your right or wrong cas I dont get to the games, but I get that impression.

Jack is a player that's presents and is always in the game.
He just bobs up at the right places at the right time and even if he doesn't get the ball, he's not far away from doing so.

Jaksch's efforts just aren't of the same calibre and when they are, they drop off all too quickly.
Said it here many times before but he just doesn't seem to concentrate for the full game, nor give 100% of himself.
I believe he wants to but just hasn't learned how to yet.

Yep that's what stood out to me as well. That said, I would much rather give him another year to develop as opposed to keeping Everitt on who has zero upside.
If SOS does not rate KJ I hope we trade him out this year as he was a high draft pick and despite not coming on yet, still has the potential to do so.
I think he is better in defence than attack unfortunately and we do not really have a spot for him in our defence unless he can bulk up to replace Rowe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack is a player that's presents and is always in the game.
He just bobs up at the right places at the right time and even if he doesn't get the ball, he's not far away from doing so.

Jaksch's efforts just aren't of the same calibre and when they are, they drop off all too quickly.
Said it here many times before but he just doesn't seem to concentrate for the full game, nor give 100% of himself.
I believe he wants to but just hasn't learned how to yet.
Yep and if you look at that The Journey video from the start of the year, and maybe it was unfavourable editing, but you see Neil Craig singling him out and talking about what happens in your head is what affects what happens externally. Like I say, unfortunate editing, or displaying his real problem that its all above the shoulders with him. Whos to say. Jack deserves his spot though and has proven so after 3 games. Jaksch needs to discover what it takes, or continue to perform in the 2's and not drop his head now. The blueprint for his body type is Gusnton and that is what he should be aiming for.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2016-07-22/gallery-open-training-at-the-scg

GibbsJuly22Training.jpg

Lamb travelled with the team.

Hi all, I'm only a 2nd time poster but long time reader/stalker (yes,I know who you are :))

I'm in Sydney these days and am now free to go to the game tomorrow but just found out it's sold out :(
Is there any chance someone is up here with a spare ticket I could buy? (am I allowed to ask that on here, mods?)

Cheers folks. Go Baggers.

Hi all, I'm only a 2nd time poster but long time reader/stalker (yes,I know who you are :))

I'm in Sydney these days and am now free to go to the game tomorrow but just found out it's sold out :(
Is there any chance someone is up here with a spare ticket I could buy? (am I allowed to ask that on here, mods?)

Cheers folks. Go Baggers.
Good news: it's not sold out. :)

Good news: it's not sold out. :)

So you are saying if i catch a 10 am flight out of Melbourne to Sydney I can still get a ticket to the game ?
Only once been to SCG but cannot remember the details of tickets. AFL member and got one through means and Bradley was still playing so it was some time ago now.

So you are saying if i catch a 10 am flight out of Melbourne to Sydney I can still get a ticket to the game ?
Only once been to SCG but cannot remember the details of tickets. AFL member and got one through means and Bradley was still playing so it was some time ago now.
I went to the Ticketek web page and it's not stopping me from trying to purchase any of the GA/non-member sections of the ground at all.

It does however try and force you to pick up the most expensive seating under the guise of 'best available', but the seating map is right there and shows you what each section gets you.

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=SWANS1816

Just select 'v Carlton' from the drop down box. There's also been no press release whatsoever that the game is sold out.

Looking forward to this one. Be a good test to how much we've improved this year as we played them in round 2.
Obviously not expecting to win, but to keep getting games into our kids a game against one of the best will be invaluable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back