Autopsy Rd 22 Blues go down but lots to like

Remove this Banner Ad

See the same ability in Byrne Mal. I remember pre knee and thought we have got something here. Pushed tuohey down the def pecking order a bit IMO.

Always hard to know how they will come back. Have really liked two games back particularly, and I’m excited about 2019 for him.

Not much to get excited about at the moment with all the losses but think he is one to mark down for next year.
I think some people forget where Tuohy was at in the same stage of his career as where Byrne is currently.

Tuohy was so much hit or miss early on. Kicking was his weapon, but his decision making was very ordinary & he didn't have a defensive bone in his body (still doesn't really, just plays a good quarterback role). Opposition coaches used to direct play through Tuohy's opponent & keep him as deep in defence as possible, because he became very nervous. Byrne on the other hand is good 1-on-1 & doesn't mind getting back to the last line of defence.

I'm a believer that Byrne will be a far more complete player than Tuohy, as long as his body doesn't let him down anymore.

burn baby burn...........

Valvedbunsen.jpg

Aaron Francis gets the rising star nomination this week. Just looking at the stats and LOB was better all round (Excluding 2 marks) and has had a really solid season.

Pretty stiff to miss out I reckon.

Lochie O'Brien
Disposals: 20
Marks: 6
Tackles: 2
Disposal Efficency: 85
Fantasy Points: 72

Aaron Francis
Disposals: 13
Marks: 8
Tackles: 1
Disposal Efficency: 84.6
Fantasy Points: 68
Tokenism at play with this choice.

Yes we all know why Francis missed some footy this year & good on him for getting back, but his 4 games this season don't exactly scream "look at me". In fact his stats have been bettered by Harry on a number of occasions this season (including a 4 goal game) & TDK's first up effort wasn't far behind.

As for LOB, yesterday was the 8th time he has had 15 or more disposals & his impact in this game was quite significant. He could consider himself extremely unlucky not to get the nod this week.

Tokenism at play with this choice.

Yes we all know why Francis missed some footy this year & good on him for getting back, but his 4 games this season don't exactly scream "look at me". In fact his stats have been bettered by Harry on a number of occasions this season (including a 4 goal game) & TDK's first up effort wasn't far behind.

As for LOB, yesterday was the 8th time he has had 15 or more disposals & his impact in this game was quite significant. He could consider himself extremely unlucky not to get the nod this week.

Absolutely 100%.

* needed a feel good story after missing the finals and they got it.

Are any of the posters that claimed LOB wasn't a good kick ready to reconsider their previous position? Will be a gun on the outside. Happy with the way he goes when he has to which was the concern at draft time

Really let ourselves down with guarding the 50 and giving away easy kicks inside 50.
I can fess up. Not sure I trashed him, but I did question whether his disposal was "elite" after a few butchered kicks early in the piece. He's certainly getting the feel for the speed of the game, which is great for us. We need his confidence.

I say stick your lousy rising star afl...we are out for premierships....we can control that.
Bloody arbitrary sideshow events are just that
It aint worth the worry about anything else despite how biased and unfair it is

Aaron Francis gets the rising star nomination this week. Just looking at the stats and LOB was better all round (Excluding 2 marks) and has had a really solid season.

Pretty stiff to miss out I reckon.

Lochie O'Brien
Disposals: 20
Marks: 6
Tackles: 2
Disposal Efficency: 85
Fantasy Points: 72

Aaron Francis
Disposals: 13
Marks: 8
Tackles: 1
Disposal Efficency: 84.6
Fantasy Points: 68
It’s a silly system. Basically whoever grabs a bit of media attention after stringing together a few games gets it.

If O’Brien had played that sort of game on Friday night footy he probably would have gotten it I reckon.

AFL as a spectacle is so utterly boring now. I still have a passion for my team but every time I switch on a game and start watching it, I lose interest. Definitely has a lot to do with the rolling maul style game plan every club has been forced to adopt. How can anyone enjoy watching 25 players crowd around a stoppage? Then watch it ping pong around and dump kicked forward only to be turned over?

The stars of the game barely stand out any more either because they can't break away from stoppages nor can they use their elite vision and ball use when they're surrounded by two rings of players swarming the contest. The new stars are scrubbers who tackle and run all day.

Really hoping the AFL can find a way around this so the game finds some semblance of what it used to be. Reduce the interchange and trial the fixed starting positions at the very least. This is not sour grapes either because my team has been garbage for close to two decades now.

Completely agree Toddski

Most games this year have been crap to watch.

Some commentators wet themselves saying "the game is fine" because there were 4 close games on the same weekend?

The only exciting aspect of those games was that they were close - the football itself was still crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely agree Toddski

Most games this year have been crap to watch.

Some commentators wet themselves saying "the game is fine" because there were 4 close games on the same weekend?

The only exciting aspect of those games was that they were close - the football itself was still crap.
Blame the coaches for that.

Once upon a time, you could watch a game at the upper end of the ladder and watch the best football, then watch a game at the bottom and see a free flowing attack fest of a game, as the coaches had the prerogative to throw the game open to bring the fans into the game, so that at least if you weren't winning you had a reason to come and watch. Terry Wallace and his superflood, Mick Malthouse and Paul Roos emphasising defensive zones and flooding space to make you hard to score against even if you weren't winning - and, let's face it, Wallace's Richmond pulled off a win in Adelaide from the bottom of the ladder with it in 2000-2001, I forget which year - and it taught the teams at the upper end of the ladder how effective such things could be. We've seen three different applications of the flood, Brenton Sanderson/Luke Beveridge's U10's genuine 18 players around a stoppage, tackling and dropping the ball where no umpires could see for weight of bodies to extract the ball and to grind sides up, exhaust them by making them play your game,; Sydney's deeeeeep press, keeping the opposition at around 60-70m away from goal - just outside of scoring range - content to wait until they can conjure a mismatch in speed for Jetta to race back, then slingshotting the ball all the way back to forward fifty; Clarkson's cluster, Weagles web, whatever Ross Lyon does to make his team's so god awful to watch.

There is no responsibility to the fans to ensure that, even if you're losing, that at least the game is enjoyable to watch, and all the coaches are complicit in this. It's about teaching the right habits, about playing the football that wins flags and teaching team defense first. It's notable that what Fagan tried in Brisbane was the old school philosophy of making them pretty to watch, turning Hipwood into a household name in the process; by playing attacking football he's bringing brisbane fans back to the game.

Beyond limiting player's options to move around the ground - a reality I cannot countenance - we'd be best off policing incorrect disposal, making it illegal to take possession unless you are standing, and paying HTB in the event that there is no disposal whilst removing restrictions to third man ups and making starting positions from every stoppage around the ground - along the ff, hf, hb, fb lines, with the 6 mids allowed to follow the ball - the legal format. That would a) open up the space around a clearance, allowing the umpires to actually see what they're looking at, b) remove the incorrect disposal/throwing that occurs nearly ubiquitously every game without fail, c) give the best mids opportunity to break the game open without needing to bash themselves against 4-6 blokes to do it (and it brings smaller midfielders back into the game) d) enables the better side to clear the ball without the opposition cluttering up the backline from a stoppage, and means that zoning is only possible from a free kick/mark. This would incentivise playing on at all costs, and would improve ball movement immeasurably, whilst making 3rd man up a viable option against a dominant ruckman as well as a significant risk, as it means you're wasting one of your 6 true mids in the air instead of receiving on the ground.

I don't see this happening, but it'd be nice.

Once upon a time, you could watch a game at the upper end of the ladder and watch the best football, then watch a game at the bottom and see a free flowing attack fest of a game, as the coaches had the prerogative to throw the game open to bring the fans into the game, so that at least if you weren't winning you had a reason to come and watch. Terry Wallace and his superflood, Mick Malthouse and Paul Roos emphasising defensive zones and flooding space to make you hard to score against even if you weren't winning - and, let's face it, Wallace's Richmond pulled off a win in Adelaide from the bottom of the ladder with it in 2000-2001, I forget which year - and it taught the teams at the upper end of the ladder how effective such things could be. We've seen three different applications of the flood, Brenton Sanderson/Luke Beveridge's U10's genuine 18 players around a stoppage, tackling and dropping the ball where no umpires could see for weight of bodies to extract the ball and to grind sides up, exhaust them by making them play your game,; Sydney's deeeeeep press, keeping the opposition at around 60-70m away from goal - just outside of scoring range - content to wait until they can conjure a mismatch in speed for Jetta to race back, then slingshotting the ball all the way back to forward fifty; Clarkson's cluster, Weagles web, whatever Ross Lyon does to make his team's so god awful to watch.

There is no responsibility to the fans to ensure that, even if you're losing, that at least the game is enjoyable to watch, and all the coaches are complicit in this. It's about teaching the right habits, about playing the football that wins flags and teaching team defense first. It's notable that what Fagan tried in Brisbane was the old school philosophy of making them pretty to watch, turning Hipwood into a household name in the process; by playing attacking football he's bringing brisbane fans back to the game.

Beyond limiting player's options to move around the ground - a reality I cannot countenance - we'd be best off policing incorrect disposal, making it illegal to take possession unless you are standing, and paying HTB in the event that there is no disposal whilst removing restrictions to third man ups and making starting positions from every stoppage around the ground - along the ff, hf, hb, fb lines, with the 6 mids allowed to follow the ball - the legal format. That would a) open up the space around a clearance, allowing the umpires to actually see what they're looking at, b) remove the incorrect disposal/throwing that occurs nearly ubiquitously every game without fail, c) give the best mids opportunity to break the game open without needing to bash themselves against 4-6 blokes to do it (and it brings smaller midfielders back into the game) d) enables the better side to clear the ball without the opposition cluttering up the backline from a stoppage, and means that zoning is only possible from a free kick/mark. This would incentivise playing on at all costs, and would improve ball movement immeasurably, whilst making 3rd man up a viable option against a dominant ruckman as well as a significant risk, as it means you're wasting one of your 6 true mids in the air instead of receiving on the ground.

Totally agree. Someone responded to me claiming the AFL rule changes were to blame, this could not be further from the truth. The coaches have engineered it to win games of football. It's going to be a really tough ask for Steve Hocking to fix the product currently on offer.

And, the tv adds to the woes. Screaming for four quarters how great the games are because its close.
Its close with 5 minutes to go, isnt footy great they will claim. Ah well its close because one team is 49 points and the other is 50. The standard is deplorable no-one can score. Even when the players can get free and set up they miss simple shots half the time. The close up tv view which is what the vast majority only ever see as crowds get lower hides the fact that 36 players are standing on each others toes making aussie rules football as we love it impossible. The rugbyfication of the game is a crying shame as far as I am concerned.

And, the tv adds to the woes. Screaming for four quarters how great the games are because its close.
Its close with 5 minutes to go, isnt footy great they will claim. Ah well its close because one team is 49 points and the other is 50. The standard is deplorable no-one can score. Even when the players can get free and set up they miss simple shots half the time. The close up tv view which is what the vast majority only ever see as crowds get lower hides the fact that 36 players are standing on each others toes making aussie rules football as we love it impossible. The rugbyfication of the game is a crying shame as far as I am concerned.
It's called too many teams in the afl has stretched the good players too far

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back