Preview Rd 3. SUNS vs. Blues @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

It's difficult regarding Tommy Nicholls. He was dominated by Luey in round one, destroyed by Sandy in round 2, and was double teamed by Phillips and Kreuzer last night. I can't see him do any better against Martin next round, or Goldy the round after.

That'll be 5 rounds in a row where he will have been beaten comprehensively. So I ask myself, is he going to beat ruckmen like Mumford, Tippett/Sinclair, Jacobs, Naitinui, etc.

The only ruckmen he'll be even remotely even with will be Smith and Lobbe - and that's ******* putrid for a number 1 ruck.

this in spades

Read the Carlton board and a lot of them were unhappy with Kreuzer's effort. Tommy must be doing something right.

Although saying that, more than a few were blaming the umpires and all our draft concessions for the loss.
Free kick count was only 20-15 in our favor and Carlton have more first rounders on their list than we do (arguably 17-18 to our 15-16) lol.

They're one of the weirder boards. Some on there are shocked they lost badly... Total denial. Rebuilding team, need to get their head around it.

They're one of the weirder boards. Some on there are shocked they lost badly... Total denial. Rebuilding team, need to get their head around it.

I'm actually surprised they're so bad
They badly need a key forward
Levi on his best day is Sam Day on his worst, not even qulaified to tie Lynchy's bootlaces and certainly not soemeone you're going to build a fearsome forward line around
And Bryce Gibbs....he's one of those guys that not only looks stupid out on the ground , you get the impression he really is

I'm actually surprised they're so bad
They badly need a key forward
Levi on his best day is Sam Day on his worst, not even qulaified to tie Lynchy's bootlaces and certainly not soemeone you're going to build a fearsome forward line around
And Bryce Gibbs....he's one of those guys that not only looks stupid out on the ground , you get the impression he really is

I don't actually think they are awful but they are what you'd expect from a rebuilding bottom 4 team. I'm not sure what people were expecting?

As you said, they have no forward line. What a mistake it was to cast off Betts.

They'll probably sort the forward line out this off season. Wouldn't surprise me if they took Josh Battle with their first pick then picked up a stop gap to protect him like Brisbane did with Schache and Walker.

Have a look at Trent Mckenzie schnoz wow wee haha also Rory Thompson ankle looks very swollen

I noticed Matera had ice on his groin in the post-game Gaz interview - might not need to drop him if he's already injured ;)

Wasnt Davis' best night but he chases, leads and works so hard in the forward line. One instance a ball got kicked into him terribly..over his head, he ran back and got body on the opposition and made the ball come to ground for a ball up inside our fwd 50. Like the little stuff that he does. Would still leave him in there over Matera at the moment.

Clay Cameron was great. Harbrow got us out of trouble alot which was good and Kade looked solid, should continue to build.

Liked Sam Days game as well. Highlight was kicking the ball into each goal post on a few of his set shots!

AFL Player Ratings chart. Nicholls obviously doing something right! Good to see Day also up there.

CfqXv9jUUAAJf1P.jpg:large

Is it just me or do Gaz's stats overstate his performance v Carlton. I love him but compared to his usual brilliance he wasn't on at all, in fact I couldn't believe how many disposals he collected. He seemed slow (for him), indecisive, fumbly all things we don't normally see from him. Also I noticed sometime he calls for the ball from a team mate now even when its not the best option and most times the players choose a better option. Seems like a hangover from the old game plan which meant get it to Gaz anytime you can. It's a strong nod to the game plan and the team that we can win when Gaz is having an off night by his standards and that the players choose better options now if they have one. Not a knock on him but just quite noticeable he was not the usual jet v Carlton

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me or do Gaz's stats overstate his performance v Carlton. I love him but compared to his usual brilliance he wasn't on at all, in fact I couldn't believe how many disposals he collected. He seemed slow (for him), indecisive, fumbly all things we don't normally see from him. Also ii noticed sometime he calls for the ball from a team mate now even when its not the best option and most times the players choose a better option. Seems like a hangover from the old game plan which meant get it to Gaz anytime you can. It's a strong nod to the game plan and the team that we can win when Gaz is having an off night by his standards and that the platers choose better options now if they have one. Not a knock on him but just quite noticeable he was not the usual jet v Carlton
To be honest I think Gaz played a spur-of-the-moment role against Carlton. Straight off the bat Carlton were savaging us in the centre square. Their mids came out firing and we were getting demolished in the midfield.

Thankfully our defense was solid and kept them from scoring, but it wouldn't surprise me if Rocket told Gaz to get in there instead of roving around the outside like he was in the Essendon and Freo games.

For the first time in a very long time, Gaz was playing a crash and bash Mitch Robinson-style inside mid. I know he's already a ferocious tackler but he was diving into the maul and getting the ball out to others, when usually it's the other way around.

His game style on Saturday was unlike anything we've seen of him as a Sun, imo. It's not his usual silky self, but he was easily top 3 BOG for us. Strange to watch, and yes, he's still not back at 100%, but it was effective nonetheless!

AFL Player Ratings chart. Nicholls obviously doing something right! Good to see Day also up there.

CfqXv9jUUAAJf1P.jpg:large
I have no idea how to interpret that rating system, other to say that if they're saying Tom Nicholls was better than Harbrow Saad Martin and Prestia then they're doing it wrong ;)
I'm well aware I'm not the first person to say it, but they are an odd set of stats
Getting the ball on the wing as a link because you gut ran to get there isn't given the same weighting as getting a ball out of a stoppage?
Too complicated.I know what i saw.

Last edited:
To be honest I think Gaz played a spur-of-the-moment role against Carlton. Straight off the bat Carlton were savaging us in the centre square. Their mids came out firing and we were getting demolished in the midfield.

Thankfully our defense was solid and kept them from scoring, but it wouldn't surprise me if Rocket told Gaz to get in there instead of roving around the outside like he was in the Essendon and Freo games.

For the first time in a very long time, Gaz was playing a crash and bash Mitch Robinson-style inside mid. I know he's already a ferocious tackler but he was diving into the maul and getting the ball out to others, when usually it's the other way around.

His game style on Saturday was unlike anything we've seen of him as a Sun, imo. It's not his usual silky self, but he was easily top 3 BOG for us. Strange to watch, and yes, he's still not back at 100%, but it was effective nonetheless!

I noticed he was at the bottom of the pack more in the second half, maybe because Prestia was sore so they swapped roles.

I have no idea how to interpret that rating system, other to say that if they're saying Tom Nicholls was better than Harbrow Saad Martin and Prestia then they're doing it wrong ;)
I'm well aware I'm not the first person to say it, but they are an odd set of stats
Getting the ball on the wing as a link because you gut ran to get there isn't given the same weighting as getting a ball out of a stoppage?
Too complicated.I know what i saw.
Honestly no clue, as Nicholls looked pretty poor I thought. I imagine these are generated from Champion Data (or something similar), so they measure a whole bunch of stuff that we may not see. Subjective stuff like aesthetic look isn't taken into account.

Easy to forget he's still only a 33 game ruck playing full games as first fiddle. I was a bit disappointed but I'm keen to back him in and get games in to him. When he hits 60-80 games he'll be very solid I think. Great contested, defensive work for a ruck and the taps he does get (although few currently) are usually of good quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back