Preview Rd 4 Geelong V Brisbane Fri April 8 750pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can already see the media post game calling the Cats "arrogant" for resting Joel.
Possibly but I like that we won’t be stuck with the same 22 every week as Scott said. We have a squad of players that need games and can be used. Selwood is not an elite player anymore too.
Proactive squad mentality yeah yeah!

While I'm fully on board with the resting of the senior blokes I'm a little surprised we are telegraphing the out of the likes of Joel Selwood so far out from the game,seem a bit of a free kick for the opponent one at selection and two gameday planning.
I don’t mind. I like the honesty and no BS. They have a plan and they’re sticking to it. Selwood might have known for weeks that this was his ‘rest’ game. It’s fine for mine.

Surely Stewart doesn’t go to Charlie. Touched up last year at the gabbatoir and it destroyed his offensive play.. Bews? Atkins ? Zac Bailey is dangerous too..

Surely Stewart doesn’t go to Charlie. Touched up last year at the gabbatoir and it destroyed his offensive play.. Bews? Atkins ? Zac Bailey is dangerous too..

lol I sure hope not.
We would really need Stewart to be intercepting everything given most teams who travel down our way bomb the ball long into the forward pockets where Stewart loves to feast.

Bews would be my first preference

I think its only a matter of time before they come up with a stat that reflects this. It's a way better indicator of how a team is playing than just the broad stroke of 'clearances'. I remember hearing Jonathon Brown saying it was something Leigh Matthews would pinpoint during training. Quality inside 50s should be another one.
They sort of have a stat for this it is post clearance possession. Now granted we don't get to see that but i bet teams do.

Regarding Cooper once he has the match fitness they are after (guessing around round 6-7)

The easy solution to getting him in is simply Rest a player and keep resting players around him

E.g rest Selwood bring in Cooper, the next week rest Duncan and keep Cooper in, the week after rest Smith keeping Cooper in again etc it isn't hard the question becomes will the MC do it.

Last edited:
Anyone been to the Peroni lounge at GMHBA? Any good? Thinking about doing it for Friday night, should be a great match.

Agree with most points but I don't think we'll see Knevitt this year. Might not even see Stephens/Stevens given CS's recent comments about them missing so much footy, and the need to give them continuity at VFL level.
Knevitt might not debut this year based solely on his frame but the Steph/vens definitely will

I'd like to know how many of North's clearances were uncontested. Those are the clearances that matter and what we've struggled with at the stoppage for a decade against the top sides. We've had our fair share of games where we've won clearances and been beaten comfortably and it's usually because the vast majority of our clearances have been under pressure.
I took a sample of them by looking at the 7 from JHF and his were pretty much all mid-tackle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just out of interest - what is the ground looking like - re the new stands being built

Apparently ( can you believe it ) at the WACA on Saturday 4000 in attendance re the Sheffield Shield final - Vic v WA - and the WACA is undergoing ground renovations like KP - and on Sat - it was in full swing - the Bobcat - the Grader the whole lot - dust flying everywhere - players and spectators were not impressed at all

I think it's Lana who's been on in the past about wanting to see stats on the 'quality' of clearances. Would be really interesting data, for sure. Because there's no way that indiscriminately booting the ball 15 metres forward (and 15 metres up in the air, at the same time) to a contest is anything like moving the ball 40 metres forward with a lace-out drop punt to a leading player. I'm not aware of any easily accessible stats to reflect the difference between these two styles of 'clearance' at this point, though.
I was just thinking about this earlier.

I think the stat score launch is basically a reflection of effective clearances if you separated out just the ones that come from stoppages.
Screenshot_20220407-160528_Chrome.jpg
Basically the Venn diagram overlap of score from stoppage and score launch

Selwood is droppable at anytime. He’s not out best player by far. Although of course still competitive. I like the pro active squad mentality approach. Have done for years. And if we lose it won’t be the reason of dropping selwood!
He isn't unstoppable, but his form doesn't warrant being dropped, and we are playing a team who will be competing with us and a number of other clubs for a top 4 spot.

If we lose because we lacked grunt in midfield, lacked a hard edge or lacked leadership on the field, thats on the MC for dropping someone who provides all of those.

What makes you so certain it will be a home loss?

Haven't been in amazing form, only lifted for the skip in the last quarter last week, and Brisbane have been in phenomenal touch and have much better form heading into this game. Like I said though, will be pleasantly surprised if I'm proved wrong - as it would be a huge win if we did manage to get over the top of them :)

Haven't been in amazing form, only lifted for the skip in the last quarter last week, and Brisbane have been in phenomenal touch and have much better form heading into this game. Like I said though, will be pleasantly surprised if I'm proved wrong - as it would be a huge win if we did manage to get over the top of them :)
Yep but they haven’t faced much opposition yet. They will be seeking revenge for the k.park game they should have won last year but I like us for this.

He isn't unstoppable, but his form doesn't warrant being dropped, and we are playing a team who will be competing with us and a number of other clubs for a top 4 spot.

If we lose because we lacked grunt in midfield, lacked a hard edge or lacked leadership on the field, thats on the MC for dropping someone who provides all of those.
Dropped is a Dirty word we use rested, thank you

For those going tomorrow

AFL Game Details:
Geelong Cats v Brisbane Lions
Friday 8 April
Bounce 7.50pm
GMHBA Stadium

VFL Game Details:
Geelong Cats v Brisbane Lions
Friday 8 April
Bounce 3.35pm
GMHBA Stadium