Autopsy Rd 5 BELTED! Power turns the Blues lights out

Who player well for the Blues vs Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with all the above.
We tried the Ross Lyon game plan with Malthouse. Did not go down well with the members or the players. I suspect Lyon will be coaching the Pies next year. Clarkson will not leave Hawthorn, which leaves Buckley, Pike, Voss or another untried coach. Voss sounds appealing, especially with his midfield experience and knowledge, but is he upto running a coaching program?

People desperately want to start winning after so many years and thats all they can think about - I would bet almost no one in here as re-watched this game. Its entirely different experience the second time around.

We played really well considering our position - we had terrible fumbles (SPS in front of goals, oh my god) that killed us. But it was genuinely our goal kicking that cost us - we out scored them - and totally dominated in the last.

Straight kicking and we would have won.

Sorry what game were you watching?
Fumbles, poor kicking and poor positioning is bad football. Yes we tried no one is questioning our effort. The effort is good but the execution is horrendous.

Effort is non negotiable but our execution unless it dramatically improves will ensure this rebuild delivers a middle of the road battler

If both teams had of kicked straight - so including Port - we would have comfortably won.

Imagine Port without Gray, Rosee, Dickson, Amon Wines, Boak - ok - now you have Carltons team with injuries. I blows my mind that people are unable to see the effect of having 2/3rds of your best forwards out - plus 2-3 of your midfielders out does to the team.

People are seriously expecting Carlton to go from 11th to beating the 2020 and 2021 Premiers - with half their best team out (easily top ten) - with complete melts about it.

We outscored them, totally dominated in 2 quarters and they had some ridiculous lucky plays and decisions go FOR them and against us.

That team on Saturday night would have beaten almost every other team in the league.

Seriously reminding me of the sacking of Ratten - team had 17 of their starting list out injured when he was sacked - absolutely no idea on this forum sometimes.
I can understand your thinking and love your optimism. Just curious - Did you watch the game on TV or were you at the ground?

I was there, and from my eye, it was an absolute thrashing. Forget about the scoring shots and inside 50s for a moment. Think about this - how often did we kick to an outnumbered contest? How often did Port have players in space? The difference was stark.

Our players were caught out of position over and over again. We had to work harder and the pressure resulted in poor decision making and skill errors. In many cases, our players looked confused and made poor decisions because they didn't have any options downfield. Port on the other hand were brimming with confidence. They knew what to do. It was impressive to watch. They had more time and space and didn't have to work as hard. So what you think were lucky plays, I would say were the end result of a good game plan that was working.

That's my take anyway. Sorry to be a Negative Nelly. I just hope Teague and co watch it, learn from it and educate the players. If they are strutting around Princes Park thinking, like you, that we were unlucky and patting themselves on the back because we had more scoring shots and more inside 50s, then we are in big trouble.

Early days, but giving Williams such a big contract that is midfielder money not half back flanker money, largely on the back of one standout midfield game vs Collingwood was always a bit risky and questionable.

He's only 3 games in at a new club and playing mid...he's been ok but not starring...too early to move him to defence. We aren't paying him the big bucks to play defence and we have other players t cover those positions.

Keep him in the middle, our midfield needs him more than our back line and hopefully he grows in the role. 3 games in the cohesion with our other mids and forwards might not quite be there yet.
Take the money out of the argument .
For example we would get a better return from Williams over SPS at HB and SPS imo would be breaking even or better certainly in the long term than Williams in the middle.
Imo Its yet another baffling positional move the club has made with our players .

Disagree entirely - we totally dominated the last quarter and with just a few of the misses going our way we would have won.

They outscored us by one goal in each quarter - we had MORE scoring shots.

On the other side of the coin they had so many freakishly positive things go their way.

It was closer to a 40-50 point loss.
This is honestly not even close to the reality of that game.....
Silly me, what was i thinking. We were the better side Saturday night.....port were just really lucky.....thanks for clearing it up

I'd hate to see us when we don't play well then

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Last quarter was exactly as you describe - locked in our half for 20+ minutes. We would have won in the last quarter but for incredibly poor kicking at goal - this is what is freaking me out about this post match melt down. How many people have re-watched the game.? Very few I suspect.

People desperately want to start winning after so many years and thats all they can think about - I would bet almost no one in here as re-watched this game. Its entirely different experience the second time around.

We played really well considering our position - we had terrible fumbles (SPS in front of goals, oh my god) that killed us. But it was genuinely our goal kicking that cost us - we out scored them - and totally dominated in the last.

Straight kicking and we would have won.

They didn't put their cue in the rack - we completely and utterly dominated them - they couldn't get it out of our 50, if we had of kicked straight we would have won and caused the upset of the season. You haven't watched the game a second time - that is really obvious.

We had a TERRIBLE start, really bad efficiency, it was down at below 60% - shocking. As soon as we turned that around we got back.

Port had some absolutely insane goals that were just insanely freaky and lucky. While we missed close to ten shots on goal.

We outscored them with shots on goal mate - that is a seriously important stat.

Watch the replay.

I saw enough at the game.
No way I am watching the replay.

No need to shove it down everyone's throat.

If they want to watch the replay, they will.

Take the money out of the argument .
For example we would get a better return from Williams over SPS at HB and SPS imo would be breaking even or better certainly in the long term than Williams in the middle.
Imo Its yet another baffling positional move the club has made with our players .
I agree with you but perhaps promises were made to Williams that he wouldn't play half back and would get midfield minutes?

They didn't put their cue in the rack - we completely and utterly dominated them - they couldn't get it out of our 50, if we had of kicked straight we would have won and caused the upset of the season. You haven't watched the game a second time - that is really obvious.

We had a TERRIBLE start, really bad efficiency, it was down at below 60% - shocking. As soon as we turned that around we got back.

Port had some absolutely insane goals that were just insanely freaky and lucky. While we missed close to ten shots on goal.

We outscored them with shots on goal mate - that is a seriously important stat.
ben askren actually threw more punches than the youtube guy, until it was over

The media pile on today in both Hsun & The Age is completely over the top. We were outplayed by one of the premiership contenders and lost by 30 points. Hardly a hangable offence. We rightfully deserved a wack after the Collingwood game, but this is just pure click bait knowing our fans will bite.
Well you did.

Not one Carlton fan is disagreeing, however when Saints lost by 90 points, Suns by 62, Bombers by 57, Hawks 49 & North are 0-5.. For the focus to be on Carlton is ridiculous.
You might discover a theme with your club if you look a little harder than bagging the media.

No, Cripps is a Captain. Of course it's his job to kick a gimme when the team needs it.
And it's not like he was playing well in the guts last night either. He's completely forgotten his role, he's trying to be Dusty. His decision making was abysmal. And that's the standard that the team followed.
Trying to be dusty is exactly my read. He's deviated from the player he was when he was at his best and is not trying to do too much.

I actually think he needs to put his tagger on their ass - even if it costs a free kick, he needs to highlight the holding off the ball to the umpires at the first bounce so theyre watching for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting over Ed Curnow just throwing the ball on his boot kicking it too no-one , he had a few times on Saturday night where he was under no pressure and could have run twenty metres from the centre before kicking it to someone but just gets it and slams it on his foot nearly always to the opposition .

Happens every week, our inability to lock it in for a chance of repeat shots for goal or the ease we allow it to rebound out is bloody awful..
We are 3rd last in inside 50 tackles Harry yes Harry is our leader with 6 .
Our small forwards as a group bar a couple of exceptions are seriously letting us down here .
Murph now a permanent forward in 5 games has a paltry 1 .
2/3 of our total of 41 are from our talls Harry Cas and Jack and mids Crippa Walsh and Ed .
Interestingly West Coast have less but given their tall forwards actually lead up the ground and most likely mark more often and they have real quality crumbers it isnt such an issue for them .
Its a real issue for us imo .

Gone from loving when he gets the ball because he'll do some awesome handball to shaking my head before he has even stuffed up, knowing he will stuff up. Been that way for 18 months.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Think the same these days.

Interestingly all this has highlighted Cripps limitations. His ability to extract had him up on a pedestal by fans, the club, the media and anyone else we could think of (me included) but apparently the current philosophy is that players need to be able to do at least one other position so because it's Cripps the superman we decide he can also play forward. Why? hmmm because he's tall? and the Bont does it well? and Fyfe is ok at it?

He's also started bursting from stoppages (funnily enough something Dow is good at) and attempting to deliver into the F50 by foot when his kicking is average at best.

And as many know he's not alone. Teague preaches to the players bring your strengths but then plays them out of position where their strengths don't come to the fore.

If you're going to use Williams in the middle then he is a receiver delivering inside 50 not Cripps. Your best field kicks in the team should be outside mids, half forwards, wingers and attacking half backs who can run and carry or deliver a long accurate kick (not sideways 20 metre dollys. (73 metres gained in a game from a supposedly go to guy for transitional play .... seriously))

Think TDK returning should give Crippa a lot more service than Pitt can manage but until Teague/coaching group get their heads out of their arses and sort out players playing in their correct positions, stopping other players from trying to do it all and dropping legacy players that don't actually apply the purported game plan we will continue to see the same crap we've dished up so far.

I saw enough at the game.
No way I am watching the replay.

No need to shove it down everyone's throat.

If they want to watch the replay, they will.

Not shoving down anyones throat - I have been asked multiple times if I attended the game - I would take no issue with that, why would anyone.

The point about re-watching the game Aphrodite is not that I have watched it more, or am "one upping" other commentators, the point is that second viewing provides far more objectivity and clarity to assess the performance free of such subjective influencing emotive factors such as "sick of losing" which is clearly driving most of the comments here. And fair enough.

I wanted to sit down and watch a win, was really upset and threw a tanty when we lost - in my mind I also sacked Teague, delisted Docherty, gave Eddie his marching orders, sent McGovern back to WA and gave Cripps two hours of basic kicking instruction.

The cold hard re-watch was an entirely different story - if people want that different story, that reality, that perspective I suggest they re-watch it - not shoving it down anyones throat.

Sorry what game were you watching?
Fumbles, poor kicking and poor positioning is bad football. Yes we tried no one is questioning our effort. The effort is good but the execution is horrendous.

Effort is non negotiable but our execution unless it dramatically improves will ensure this rebuild delivers a middle of the road battler
You obviously went out during the 3rd quarter, because the effort was zero by at least half the team.

Sorry, which 2 quarters did we totally dominate?
I assume you're going to say the last quarter, when we kicked 2 goals to nothing in the final 6 minutes, to reduce the margin from 41 points? But I can't see another quarter where anybody could stretch to say we dominated?

And to think that it was only our poor goal kicking which stopped us from winning suggests you were not at the game.

Mate - last quarter we kicked 3 goals to their single goal, we missed 6 shots on goal. Even if we had of pegged half of those shots we would have lost be 6 points.

We had four more shots on goals than Port - that is statistically important and tells a different story than the melts in this, and other threads, about an injury depleted team that finished bottom half of the table last year against this years flags favorites.

Just providing perspective and a bit of reality on the issue.

I can understand your thinking and love your optimism. Just curious - Did you watch the game on TV or were you at the ground?

I was there, and from my eye, it was an absolute thrashing. Forget about the scoring shots and inside 50s for a moment. Think about this - how often did we kick to an outnumbered contest? How often did Port have players in space? The difference was stark.

Our players were caught out of position over and over again. We had to work harder and the pressure resulted in poor decision making and skill errors. In many cases, our players looked confused and made poor decisions because they didn't have any options downfield. Port on the other hand were brimming with confidence. They knew what to do. It was impressive to watch. They had more time and space and didn't have to work as hard. So what you think were lucky plays, I would say were the end result of a good game plan that was working.

That's my take anyway. Sorry to be a Negative Nelly. I just hope Teague and co watch it, learn from it and educate the players. If they are strutting around Princes Park thinking, like you, that we were unlucky and patting themselves on the back because we had more scoring shots and more inside 50s, then we are in big trouble.

Quick question re the bolded bit (haven't watched any of the game).

Do you believe we kicked to the outnumbered contest primarily due to slow ball movement or poor decision making or both?

Reason I ask is that kicking to an outnumbered contest due to slow ball movement can be for several reasons:

Players up the ground are not pushing to make space (so that's an effort thing), the kicker has no confidence and goes backwards or slows play down by taking his time to move the ball on (concerning if lacking confidence in one's own skills but can also be as a product of the first reason), players have been pushed wide by the opposition guarding the corridor ie around the boundary play (I think opposition teams do this to us a lot because it slows us down and then we seem to be extremely susceptible to turning it over)

Poor decision making is poor decision making and tbh you can lay that at the door of the recruiting guys.

Back