Preview Rd 8 Geelong v Melbourne Sat May 4th 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have no problem with him but it’s a tough ask for him to come in this week or next
He’s been throwing up good VFL numbers but so he should
He’s playing against kids mainly and he’s a mature age
The impressive part of his game (Hardie) is more than the numbers. He is so clean and rarely makes mistakes.

I feel like he would surprise a few if given the chance. And why not against one of the better midfields? At least we would find out where he's really at then.

Anyway, the club seem to manage things like this pretty well. Maybe there is an understanding there that he's back up only.

Re: Rohan

He was playing out of the square a lot last season even when Hawkins was in the team - it would often be Cameron starting at CHF, Rohan in the square and Hawkins somewhere in between

We've seen O. Henry starting from the square a bit this season, in a similar role to what Rohan played last year - if both of them are in the same side, the question may be who between them two play from the square
Good accurate post

I have no problem with Hardie but you do that on weak opposition not arguably the best midfield in the comp when we are already missing a mid

Yes - but does Parfitt hold his position - his numbers were very low against Carlton , and i think the Blues 1st goal in the 3rd qtr - or one of them anyway was a complete miss tackle or very pooor effort to tackle by BF let a Carlton player kick the easiest of goals basically from the goal square

I think the Cats and 7 nil is a tremendous start , however i reckon there are about 7-8 gun players like Cameron and Stengle playing outstanding football and instrumental in the Geel wins , and thus i think there could still be 3-4 changes to it come the finals to get the absolute best Geelong side

My word , may have been mentioned on here already but Conway in the VFL last weekend - 20 disposals, 28 hitouts, three goals.

= Absolutely we should be playing Conway !

Agree. Have Stanley and Conway double team Gawn, with the one not rucking resting forward, and in the 2nd half possibly subbing one of them off and have Blitz as the 2nd ruck.

Rohan could push Dempsey out but this would affect our current flow.

Our gameplan whether by choice or not doesn't require us always winning it at the coal face as our MF isn't very good. Its players like Dempsey, Miers, Close and Stengle who are winning us games through fast and clean transition and efficiency inside 50. Rohan could add some further run and carry to continue to improve our transition. It would be interesting to see him off half back tbh. I just worry he doesn't get enough of the ball though.

Last edited:
Yes - but does Parfitt hold his position - his numbers were very low against Carlton , and i think the Blues 1st goal in the 3rd qtr - or one of them anyway was a complete miss tackle or very pooor effort to tackle by BF let a Carlton player kick the easiest of goals basically from the goal square
If its the incident I think you are referring to the Calton player got around at least 3 Geelong players near the goal square.

Parfitt could not reach him when he stretched out. It was not a poor effort and he did try.

Why do you not point out the other Geelong players instead of singling him out? I think your comment regarding this incident is incorrect.

No doubt he had a quite day but he did finish with 17 disposals. I think he got 14 in the last half. Bruhn had a little more game time and got 2 more disposals for the game. Admittedly he had much more impact than Parfitt.

Think we're underestimating team chemistry a bit here.

This is a group who have more or less played the first 7 rounds together, and have grown confidence and belief while getting to 7-0.

It is so far from what we had last year it's not funny. 2 come back, 4 go out, and it was just rinse and repeat week to week for the whole year.

It's hard to win any games without your best players available, but it's even harder when your role players aren't getting any continuity either by playing week to week.

The much fabled Geelong 'system' that we have right now is based on that belief.

Everything's humming along smoothly, and we can afford to switch a cog or two out for another one.

With a bit of luck this year on the injury front, it's going to take us a long way.

Good audit for our mids against Gawn , Oliver , Viney & co…. And our efficient forwards against the May & Lever led Dees defence…
Can we kick 80+ with limited I50’s and a stern defence?
Good audit….

You wouldn't be a taxation accountant by any chance?

Rohan could push Dempsey out but this would affect our current flow.

Our gameplan whether by choice or not doesn't require us always winning it at the coal face as our MF isn't very good. Its players like Dempsey, Miers, Close and Stengle who are winning us games through fast and clean transition and efficiency inside 50. Rohan could add some further run and carry to continue to improve our transition. It would be interesting to see him off half back tbh. I just worry he doesn't get enough of the ball though.

I thought the same. He's multi position and did play a lot of his Swans career on the wing, but that was early days. Maybe Blicks comes out managed, Conway and Rohan in. It's not unfathomable, and I just have the feeling there is someone who is not 100% that we are unaware of.

Rohan behind/chasing/defending the ball at centre bounce could be valuable, given his speed and perceived pressure, and let's face it, it's now well documented we are depending on defence turnover at centre bounce, due to weak contested ball and Stanley's lack of winning tap. Melbs midfield just as strong as Blues with gun ruckman, so planning is utmost.

Agree in terms of structure. Issue for me is the choice then is between Henry and Rohan as both play out of the square and attack the lead. Frankly I even like Stengle getting a mismatch in the square too.

And then of course there is Neale who I want to get a game. He maybe is more versatile but can’t have him Hawkins Henry and Rohan in the same forward line - just no room.

I am sure the coaches are going to continue to have very very interesting conversations. Managing a player a week will help but at some stage that gets hard too.
That's the conundrum for the MC.
OH has successfully substituted for the Rohan role - has exceeded Rohan's goal output but isn't the pressure player Rohan is. They both can't play out of the square and we aren't about to drop Stenngle , Miers or Close.
OH hasn't got the endurance ( neither has Rohan) to play further up the ground the way we demand so it' seems to be a case of one or the other.

Think we're underestimating team chemistry a bit here.

This is a group who have more or less played the first 7 rounds together, and have grown confidence and belief while getting to 7-0.

It is so far from what we had last year it's not funny. 2 come back, 4 go out, and it was just rinse and repeat week to week for the whole year.

It's hard to win any games without your best players available, but it's even harder when your role players aren't getting any continuity either by playing week to week.

The much fabled Geelong 'system' that we have right now is based on that belief.

Everything's humming along smoothly, and we can afford to switch a cog or two out for another one.

With a bit of luck this year on the injury front, it's going to take us a long way.
Are you disagreeing with someone here? You say we're underestimating team chemistry. But who do you mean exactly?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW I was watching the replay yesterday (because of the :mad: FTA coverage live ffs) and I thought Hawkins had put on weight. I may be wrong of course.

If this is the case though it is very unusual to put on weight when you play and train every game, quite the opposite is the norm. You will see most players get leaner as the year progresses.

Has anyone else seen this in Hawk and/or thought about what this might mean? Injury = can't train??

Last edited:
FWIW I was watching the replay yesterday (because of the :mad: FTA coverage live ffs) and I thought Hawkins had put on weight. I may be wrong of course.

If this is the case though it is very unusual to put on weight when you play and train every game, quite the opposite is the norm. You will see most players get leaner as the year progresses.

Has anyone else seen this in Hawk and/or thought about what this might mean? Injury = can't train??
He did look a bit heavy.

I think he is "carrying" his back again.

Drop in form is usual, and likely injury related, is my best guess.

If he is dealing with back problems he should be rested. At 7-0 Geelong can afford to elevate a couple of players who have been impressive in the surging VFL team.

If he is dealing with back problems he should be rested. At 7-0 Geelong can afford to elevate a couple of players who have been impressive in the surging VFL team.

He can deal with it when his contract expires at the end of this year. Meanwhile he continues to be in the AFL top ten for goal assists and has Doug Wade's record in his sights, as well as a premiership tilt. Let him roll.

This week so far we are going to ditch Stanley, Parfitt, Dempsey, Hawk, Ollie, Blics and any other BF outcasts- but Touhey is back in favour. Funny that.

Going to simple Meatray entry this week

Out Danger
In Stewart
Sub Parfait

No mucking around this week with managing players or changes for the sake of it. 7-0 and playing a top 4 team who we can put a 3 game gap on

Lovely. If I had a light bulb emoji I'd apply it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back