Preview Rd 8 Geelong v Melbourne Sat May 4th 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All out for a win tomorrow and resting a troop or two against Port makes more sense to me. Give Hawkins one last chance at the very least. He may have just hit a dry spell.
Yeah certainly an interesting one with paddy out. Let’s back ‘‘em in!

Haven’t read the discussion about the teams, so sorry if I’m repeating, but the management of Parfit is an interesting one since Paddy will be out. Scotty really backing in the young bulls in bruhn, Bowes and Clark…against their mids…… I’m backing them in!
Rohan for Danger, Clark for Parf, Atkins in for MOC, Dempsey sub?

Good team to take on the Dees.
With no MOC, I expect Blics to go to Petracca at stoppages like that 2022 game.
Maybe Hawk plays on May like he did Weitering while Rohan sticks close to Lever to negate their intercept game.
Stanley follows Gawn all day.
Then that’s it, their 4 match winners taken care of. Let Cameron, Guthrie, Holmes, Stewart et al do the rest.
I’m more confident this week than the Carlton game.
Should not forget that Melbourne had a rough journey, winning both matches away in Adelaide over that week, and beating Tigers. They are formidable at best. Hoping we don't see that this week, but they are a definite top 4 contender.

i think Kingy said it effects their pay structure for match payments etc.
Being dropped is treated differently to managed and rested.

GO Catters
That is more relevant for players in first 4-5 years. Who are on match payments (managed counts as a game). Obviously can’t play vfl that week. Usually on 3rd contract a player is just on fixed contract regardless of games.

For those players it might be relevant for incentives (ie. how many games played) and triggers

Given no injuries Dempsey for Rohan halfway through the third sounds right.
Could work out that way. But if Dempsey having impact I reckon they leave him on full game and Rohan takes someone else off. I reckon they rest Dempsey for a full game (which is why I don’t think he will be sub this week) against port or Gold Coast. Probably hasn’t played 8 weeks in a row ever so must be getting sore

Thinking about management in May.

Will be 1 or 2 a game. No more. But if we keep winning maybe they keep managing two each week (I was suprised they did two this week)

Round 8. MOC and Parf
Round 9. Dempsey and Bruhn (not sure I will watch that week 😀)
Round 10. Stanley and Hawkins (it could be they rest Stanley in round 9 and Bruhn in round 10)
Round 11. O Henry and 2E

That rotates the 26 (including emergencies) plus Toby over the month of May (noting danger out for whole month)

The only people left to manage after that are the small forwards and Jezza (against a poorer team) and a couple of the backs (Holmes, cam guthrie, j Henry) and Bowes. Mindful that we have a bye in June.

As you can see with no injuries they can manage 2 a week easily with a squad of 26. Hard for those vfl boys to get a look in. Next week for example we have 2 automatic “ins” with Toby a likely. Are they going to do more than 3 volunteer changes a week?

The Club manage development game time and expectations of players splendidly, are now famous for it.

I can't remember someone with so much potential leaving, Kelly who had personal issues maybe. Lincoln Mc Carthy (as it turns out) who had mad injury issues we were patient with. A few premature exits debatable, maybe Menzel, Motlop, Chapman, Johnson. Historically one or two, going back to Wade, All who had plenty of game time.
A few that didn't proceed from the VFL, maybe Aarron Black, you can name others.

Neale would have been given every reassurance he'll get his moments in the sun.

I'm gagging to see Hawk do well against Melbourne, the team who came seriously sniffing around Hawk when contract talks appeared to have stalled last year. Hope he Sticks it up em for another time in 12 months.
Hamling left because he wasn't getting games IIRC

100%

I don't know why you can't say 'he's not in great form currently' AND that 'he's been a great of the competition and will likely play a large part in any premiership push we have this year'. The idea that he's playing decoy seems very strange. You wouldn't get Danger to tag someone.

It's not dire straits. The Brisbane game was particularly hard for key forwards, and he has struggled against Carlton previously. But I think everyone would be hoping he lifts his output in the weeks ahead.

Perfectly summed up IMO, can't go along with the arguments that he's taking a good defender or playing a decoy role, he's simply out of form, and badly so (temporarily hopefully) just watching him is enough to realise that, and his stats back it up.
His career disposal average is 12.26, marks 5.41 and goals 2.24, the last three weeks he's averaging seven disposals, a touch over one mark and zero goals, plus his goal assists have dropped from three to less then one.

As you say, it's not dire straits (yet) but it certainly is cause for concern.

Just a few views on the game

I did listen to a bit of Rodney Eades and Rohan Connolys weekly podcast - and discussing the ages of teams and players particularly Coll and Geel - rattled off all the ages of the blokes over 30 - like Pendles 36 and Danger 34 etc , and Rocket said some blokes at 28 are finished and some at 33 are still going great guns . But he did say the 1 he was concerned with at Geel is Rhys , he reckons he has nearly hit the wall and i agree with that , and i have been a big fan of Rhys over his career

Thus given that and he is up against Gawn ( and i know he did play that great game against him at KP ) but i would have made 1 structural change for this week , i would have brought in Conway so you have 2 rucks against Gawn . Atkins and Clark have done very little this year , so 1 of them could have made way for Conway , and you could swing other blokes like Guthrie or Tuohy in the midfield to cover for them

Geel got smashed in the midfield last week and i thought Blicavs game got devalued because he had to do too much ruck work . If Conway was brought in this week , Blicavs could play purely as a midfielder , like he did 1 night against Coll , opposed to Pendlebury and Blicavs got 2 Brownlow votes

Id have Bowes who is going good opposed to Petracca , he did actually play against him for about a qtr in a game at KP - and Bowes went allright didnt look out of place

Geelongs 7 wins are largely on the back of some outstanding individual performances like Cameron and Stengle , however i think both the Full Forward and Full Back have been pretty average , thus hopefully both of them improve a fair bit Sat night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I am a little suprised that we are managing two in this game. I thought they might manage 1 to get Rohan in (although my meat tray was no managed player) but to do two midfielders and bring back Clark surprised me. I don’t know whether there is anything to read into it or just good management of players ahead of two 6 day breaks?

Clark wasn’t really managed given he played VFL but maybe they figured two subs in a row before that was enough?

I do think that Rohan will be sub rather than Dempsey or Duncan and they can then manage one or both of those fully against Port to bring MOC and parfait back in. In some ways better for Rohan as he will dominate when he comes on given fresh legs and his pace. He could be a difference maker and then build confidence and be back in 22 against Port.

No double in my mind they manage Dempsey, Duncan, Henry over next few weeks as well as Hawk against suns. May also manage a defender and another small forward. 1 or 2 managed a week over next month? Plus Toby and Stanley swapping. That still doesn’t really help in my view people like Hardie, Knevitt and Mannagh without injuries (ie. they can manage 2 a week within the 26 Sqaud plus Neale and Toby for specific roles
I think Rohan will be sub and Ollie Henry will come off.

Not sure if this is the correct thread but I have 3 tickets available in the medallion club section (p26, row A) - if anyone is interested, pm me and we can negotiate price. Thanks

i think Kingy said it effects their pay structure for match payments etc.
Being dropped is treated differently to managed and rested.

GO Catters
I'm not sure if they can count as 'injured' if they are names as emergencies though?

I assumed it was as simple as they are fit to play if needed, and will come in if there's a late out. But otherwise they'll have the week off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back