Opinion Realising full potential of NMFC in AFL Expansion ? North V Giants Albury / Wodonga Yearly "Border Clash".

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah we don’t wanna become the Leyland brothers . Not a good look . But in I saying that I’m popular in Albury. So why the hell not!
Gumble Frankieton - nice history lesson for the younger crew. Good job 👍

I don't think that the idea is without merit.

But we would absolutely be slapped with "the travelling kangaroos" as soon as we did it.

But we would absolutely be slapped with "the travelling kangaroos" as soon as we did it.

Yes we would so it would want to be a very long-term deal which would include not just selling our home games but involve some away games. There is plenty of clubs not turning a profit out of the Dome deal for example, so leaning on them might prove beneficial.

It would require some serious ground work and that exercise itself wouldn't be cheap. We can't afford to be seen trying to pillage but offering a genuine partnership where all parties benefit.

I doubt we have the people to sell such a vision.

Yes we would so it would want to be a very long-term deal which would include not just selling our home games but involve some away games. There is plenty of clubs not turning a profit out of the Dome deal for example, so leaning on them might prove beneficial.

It would require some serious ground work and that exercise itself wouldn't be cheap. We can't afford to be seen trying to pillage but offering a genuine partnership where all parties benefit.

I doubt we have the people to sell such a vision.

As of right now it would be solving a solved problem.

If it is a plan post Hobart then it would require more thinking. A shipload of planning and ground work.

To that end it probably does have merit, however Hobart is how long is a piece of string. It is also not without precedent that we go in do a tonne of work laying a foundation only for the AFL to swoop in day that’s a great idea and give it to another club. Which would be the Saints. This is called Bulldogging.

We pretty much already are after Sydney-Canberra-GC-then almost Ballarat-Hobart. Next stop, the all-important market that is Uzbekistan! Good watermelons in Uzbekistan apparently.
Another drawback is how poor we are as a team, it’s not really a big draw card to pay to see a team get flogged. You’d assume we play in Hobart for another year or so and by then we should hopefully have a much more competitive team.
Then we have the Battle of The Border (or whatever the hell they want to call it). Push the angle of North’s shared history with the area, all the old players from there. Getting someone to stump up the cash could be a problem. It’s worth looking at though.

Well if all North supporters got of they Fu:king b:ms and starting attending games we wouldn’t need to travel like the Laylend brothers but with the BS mind set of the supporters who probably think Keith Greig and Wayne Carey still play.
So supporters just turn up to games that all you need to do starting tomorrow if we get over 30k with Melbourne supporters coming out of the woodwork so get it get to the game.

I'm from Wang. Latent support for North in the region is significant. Given a fixture with GWS would draw between 10-20k depending on time slot and team fortunes at the time (in Melbourne or Sydney), relocating it away from an expensive stadium and into a clean one would presumably be financially beneficial. Not $500-$1m better off like Hobart, but still beneficial. It would absolutely stimulate the local economy and attract local government support as well.

1 game per year at Lavington I could really get behind. It's a good idea and would bring life to an otherwise low key fixture.
We’re all from Wang mate.

Not trying to s**t on the idea because I don’t hate it but… it does make me laugh that the AFL put a second team in the biggest city in the country and here we are talking about how we can use good old North to help them build a fan base nowhere near said city.
Agree, but the Giants are really marketed as the alternate NSW club....ie everything outside central Sydney...and particularly southern NSW /Canberra. Like the Swans, but even more so the Giants are heavily dependant on regularly playing the traditional established AFL clubs.

The AFL want to get the large supporter base clubs like Collingwood , Carlton , Essendon, Geelong etc playing in Sydney twice a year....... those clubs have significant support base here in NSW.

North whilst not with the same size supporter base still has significant profile as it is a traditional established AFL club and has had premiership success in the AFL era.

Fortuitiously North also has a profile which lends itself to representing Northern Victoria. All I'm saying is North could use this to leverage a better deal with the AFL because the AFL in turn needs the Giants to get traction in NSW. You could get a win-win .

Yes I like it a lot.

If we found another home away from home I think they might just call it dogging. I put into the google machine where has North played home games around Aus and it wasn't very helpful.

It did though have this...

View attachment 1404287

Goodness me- lost for words.
Should have put dogging into the Google machine instead, would have been far more interesting.

Inviting considered discussion here. This is not about relocating North or re branding North, just about raising the profile of both NMFC and GWS.

Firstly if Tassie is paying off for North ...stay there... Reality is though that Hawthorn and North may get shafted when Tassie comes in.

Ironically, in contrast to popular opinion, I think North could be in a potentially strong negotiating position with the AFL going forward. The AFL has banked just about everything on expansion succeeding in NSW and Qld. Its slow progress and anything that helps it has to be considered.

Southern NSW is traditional AFL territory, yet there are no AFL fixtured matches in this region despite a sizeable population in Southern NSW and Northern Vic. The NMFC Kangaroos brand clearly lends itself to a Northern Victoria profile and playing GWS at the border would be pretty easy to market.

Both the Giants and North are looking for a higher profile .A successful Vic/NSW Border Clash would be massive for both clubs and beneficial for AFL getting better leverage in NSW. If it worked North could play 2 home games there a year V Giants and V Sydney.... both Border Clashes. All other North homes games in Melbourne. Effectively North plays a more direct role in AFL expansion and becomes a more critical club for the AFL to support.

I put a similar post on the GIANTS board "Future of the Footy Club" and received a positive response. Wanting to get a perspective from the true North supporters.
Don’t mind the idea, its a development side of the AFL growing the game in NSW. HOWEVER, I say * that and bring games back to Arden St, especially a game VS the Giants, get the quad bike out with the esky selling grog and a bloke with a barby at each end flogging snags and bacon and egg sangas for a couple of bucks.

Joint would be packed to the ah, rafters

Being as s**t as we are and being a middle team for 2 decades doesn't help.

But there are other factors that point to why our attendance numbers are bad. Whilst yes the tassie money is good for the club...it's a short term solution that hinders us in the now and long term. To put it simply.....having a 3rd of our Home Games in another state has a negative impact on membership and attendance numbers in Melbourne.
Playing a minimal no. of home games outside Melbourne can only work if you have a realistic relevance to the location and and therefore a potential for growth in that location. There are simply too many teams in Melbourne. Selectively playing some matches out of Melbourne (eg Albury -Wodonga) broadens the clubs base, gives the club a point of difference and will be supported financially by the AFL if it can be seen to effectively grow the game.
Hawthorns base in Launceston equates to 10% of their membership. Not sure re North in Tassie.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back