Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

We have a lot of short kicks and close handballs. Would love to see the disposal efficiency going i50

I haven't got the numbers, but last I looked our marks inside 50 number was stacking up very well.

I can't wait for the game this week! PUMPED!

A great challenge for us and we get to enjoy the continued development of our young guns!

How bloody good is it to be a Freo supporter!!

Best ball movement team (from D50 to F50) in the league over the last 6 weeks!

I know there are a lot of people who want us to be perfect now. However, this is a sign of a big leap forward for the team. Shots on goal proves we are now an attacking team. We start to finish well and we have a huge year.

And, we will be better next year!

Best ball movement team (from D50 to F50) in the league over the last 6 weeks!

I know there are a lot of people who want us to be perfect now. However, this is a sign of a big leap forward for the team. Shots on goal proves we are now an attacking team. We start to finish well and we have a huge year.

I feel like the stability of things is helping EVERYONE grow in confidence. When J-Lo hasn't been doing too favourably - like 2023, the immediate emotional reaction - even from myself - is to jump on the "we'll never be good enough" bandwagon and not see a process unfolding. All the stats are handy guidelines to show what's transpiring and how it's a net positive (overall). The main thing missing is us nailing our shots and scoring, otherwise we'd be right in the thick of it, and I'm talking top 4. We've shown that although we at times lack the firepower of like a Carlton (Curnow and McKay are pretty handy..) to just blow people off the park, we have enough structure and defensive-accountability to withstand most team's arsenal and be in the thick of games for most of them - even the ones we lose. If we take the McCarthy tragedy aside, the Sydney game being more an anomaly than not and the West Coast just a terrible performance possibly with fatigue a little bit of the reasoning (certainly not using it as an excuse..), we've never really not been in games. We could have, probably should have won at least 1 in Adelaide, if not both.

Poor old Darcy's injuries this year haven't helped in terms of being able to maximise the Triple J structure and see how it collaborates overall. See what cohesion it brings, although Treacy is bucking the trend and just having a great year to date...

And we're still THAT young team!! How long is a decade again, is it long enough..?!?! :p :whistle:

Best b in the league over the last 6 weeks!

Chapman has made a huge difference in our ball movement team (from D50 to F50)

Chapman has made a huge difference in our ball movement team (from D50 to F50)

His speed of decision making plus the penetration and trajectory on his kicks allows the next receiver more time.

Makes a huge difference to the team.

I am more bullish by the week on Chapman and what he means to the side long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woke up pretty chirpy this morning 😁

I’ll take that win and controversial umpiring be damned , we’ve been on the wrong side of it too many times

Pies are a solid outfit ( they had some big outs but we had a couple ourselves)

I want to shout out to JL and the club and give them a Big wrap .
Their drafting and development are now showing fruit .
I honestly don’t think anyone can deny that JL doesn’t know what he’s doing .
He has each one of those players working hard , staying fit and playing their role to the best of their ability
The team spirit is alive and they are playing for each other .

I couldn’t find the Heath Chapman thread but found this one instead .
Man I love how that kid has worked himself back into being what we thought he could , absolute jet

Damn , I love this team right now .

Give us a couple of decent forwards and god forbid Warner to replace Fyfe end of season and look the f*k out AFL

Last edited:
Woke up pretty chirpy this morning 😁

I’ll take that win and controversial umpiring be damned , we’ve been on the wrong side of it too many times

Pies are a solid outfit ( they had some big outs but we had a couple ourselves)

I want to shout out to the JL and the club and give them a Big wrap .
Their drafting and development are now showing fruit .
I honestly don’t think anyone can deny that JL doesn’t know what he’s doing .
He has each one of those players working hard , staying fit and playing their role to the best of their ability
The team spirit is alive and they are playing for each other .

I couldn’t find the Heath Chapman thread but found this one instead .
Man I love how that kid has worked himself back into being what we thought he could , absolute jet

Damn , I love this team right now .

Give us a couple of decent forwards and god forbid Warner to replace Fyfe end of season and look the f*k out AFL

The great thing is Chappy has yet to hit 50 games and in his current patch of form is verging on A grade. His marking in contest and intercept is starting to improve and both he and Clark are damaging with the ball in hand. Becoming an absolute weapon!

Yes only 15 premiership players and older and more experienced than us... we came back hard and fast in the last and almost stole it. All good signs.

If Warner comes we will have an all time team.

As it is, with what we can add to our forward line at the end of the year I can't wait to see how we develop!

I actually enjoyed the game, less the outcome - the real tussle and grind and arm-wrestle. We looked decent early doors, kicked a few; missed a few (groan!). Got flogged in the 3rd which was weirdly encapsulated by us try to pass the ball to EVERYONE in the forward line right off the bat for a goal and then Magpies went downfield and kicked a goal, it felt like in that moment our heads dropped because of how exhaustive it is to get someone in a position to score - like some kind of weird football cabin fever when we're lining up for an open play shot in the forward 50 - and we had to claw back - which took the last 5 mins or so, but that was a gutsy fight back and so thrilling for Pearce to kick that goal for Cam, that WAS the highlight of the night for me, what a special moment. Banfield just having a career best season and already up to 14, Sharp as mentioned in his own thread is an astonishingly good fit and exciting winger, so much speed and power in his kicking.

Like I've said a million times, Collingwood (Hollywood) barely have to shift off their hallowed MCG and will always have a competition advantage, I think it's obvious why most of the Premiers are Victorian based in recent memory. But we didn't lose, I don't think we played well (overall) but we showed some character and spirit to get that draw in the end (should have won!) when heads could have dropped further and certain players like Fyfe, Amiss and a few others are woefully out of form; Jackson not quite that bad but certainly off his best......kicked 5 in the last quarter against a pretty decent Magpies outfit, albeit injuries and a few debutantes, but still a well organized and strong team, reigning Premiers as it stands.

I think we need to give Sturt another look if he gets through unscathed today, we just need more natural goalkickers in the mix. Hopefully Simpson and Delean can push their cases too, but overall I feel positive about the situation, it's just a bit cumbersome and lacking in polish at the mo and some players will eventually be phased out that are probably stunting things a bit right now and I'm not a patient man but you can see that the foundations are set and they're pretty solid looking to me - let's not forget what a difference a fit Cox and a fitter Darcy would make, also a shout out to our medical team which has been tremendous since Webber left (I know skating on the thinnest of ice here..!).....but anyway, I also awoke not feeling as dispirited as some obviously do, I can see massive strides forward compared to last year; definitely need to get flexing in the off-season though, additions of Baker and Warner (somehow!) would intensify that positivity immensely!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back