• Players leaving

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footskill

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Everyone has their opinion on the reasons Freo find themselves in the situation we do with the decline in 2023.
Obviously it's a culmination of many reasons and not just the one, but just putting up this poll to get a gauge to find out what most think is the number 1 reason for them

We finished the season not much better than how we started it, everyone has gone to school on denying giving us space to slowly move up the field and we have no idea as if it was a surprise after Melbourne and Collingwood exposed us

I'll pick something that isn't on the list, laziness. The players aren't putting any effort out there. A lot of players jogging to the contests, not leading up the ground for the ball, not attempting to tackle, just letting players waltz through, always second to marking contests.

I'll pick something that isn't on the list, laziness. The players aren't putting any effort out there. A lot of players jogging to the contests, not leading up the ground for the ball, not attempting to tackle, just letting players waltz through, always second to marking contests.
I'd argue that's a coaching thing though. Shouldn't be allowed to get away with that.

I'd argue that's a coaching thing though. Shouldn't be allowed to get away with that.
You could argue that, but when I look out on the faces of the players a lot of them look like they couldn't give less of a s**t and are just there to get paid.

You could argue that, but when I look out on the faces of the players a lot of them look like they couldn't give less of a s**t and are just there to get paid.
If they are in it for the money, drop them so they don't get match payments.

Hold them to account. I'd genuinely rather play Benning (assuming he puts in effort) than any player that's not doing the basics.

50/50 players leaving and coaching. I chose coaching but I think it’s overall football management, which Bell bears much of the responsibility.

I think our midfield is getting mauled and our backs refuse to move the ball quickly despite being asked to. Justin is now working on trying to setup proper structures up the line so they can make a decision more quickly on which method they are going to use to go forward

I agree with apuchar - I note the reality was that our midfield was getting mauled in defence long before JLo came along or Mundy left, probably all the way back to when Fyfe moved into the midfield and Crowley and Barlow moved to other positions, but with a lot less experienced team in there the gap has worsened. It is just getting doubly exposed atm with Brayshaw out of form and fumbling (and probably injured), Brodie not really committing defensively and O'Meara still getting used to the team. You can see we were freaking out pre-season about this by trying to through Aish in there to play a defensive role, and I reckon on the weekend we tried a lot of combinations. One positive has been Johnson and even though at the start of the season I saw him as still developing I reckon he might finish the season as a first choice centreman, because he bringing both speed with the ball and defensive attributes. The other positives are Darcy and Serong.

The defence not moving the ball quickly and aggressively attacking whilst not the most critical is the most disappointing because we are setup both personnel wise (all our best attacking kickers are structured to be there) and structurally to do this and yet there are players in the team that are not being brave and playing to their strengths. Having said that I think Clark, Walker and Wagner (even though his skill has been deplorable) are having a red hot go and playing in the right way, but Young, Cox, Pearce, Ryan, Chapman and Wilson (when they were in the team) are just not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel the coaches don’t try to set up the defensive players to free one of Walker/Clarke to be the run and carry option (think Saad ) at Blues). Maybe they are and can’t get it done? I think when one of those do take it on the field opens up with a bit of chaos and we look more dynamic. Of course what do I know..🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Okay. But what's the underlying reason for laziness. Professional footballers wouldn't be lazy cause they can't be stuffed. Complacency or what reason

I wonder the injuries that Pearce and Ryan hinders the way they playing. Like if you take a Mark you need bit time to reset and pushing off quickly is difficult

Having said that they shouldn't be playing if that's the case as it's more detrimental.

Not much you can do now the horse has bolted. It’s gameplan, Preseason, MC,
Not replacing Carr. losing 5 players and the Jackson trade with nothing coming
back.
What is noticeable is that we are the softest, weakest team in the AFL.
Isn’t any surprise we are hopeless at contested footy?
Just reminds me of the nineties when opponents just beat us up.
All of the above is fixable, just look at the Pies, Saints, and Bombers.
All changed coaches, and better off the field than the boys club at Freo.
Work ethic, gym work is below par.
Either surround JLo with quality, or clean out the deadwood and best available.

Hmm JL leading..so if it's a coaching issue wondering when JL is saying they didn't play the way they should have, is this a coaching issue or players not being able to execute so it appears they not following the game plan.

Hmm JL leading..so if it's a coaching issue wondering when JL is saying they didn't play the way they should have, is this a coaching issue or players not being able to execute so it appears they not following the game plan.
You play the way you train. Who is in charge of that? That’s your answer.

The warning signs were there last year, sides are doing the following

1. No letting us kick short, or take easy options out of our backline. Forcing us to kick down the line.
2. Taking lots of short kicks against us, preventing us from getting the easy intercept down the line.
3. We are losing the centre clearences, forcing us to start off in our back 6.

These are the key things, I think everything else just minor additional details.

Acres has probably hurt us a bit, Lobb was solid as the option down the line but I think most of the issues are sides have adjusted their tactics to us, and we can't find another way to move the ball and score.

I'm I wrong in thinking that the players spent too much time in the preseason playing bruise free intraclub scratchies and have forgotten what it is to go hard at the ball and throw all your energy into a game ..They seem directionless.Longmuir seems insistent that they are not playing the game he has coached,why the fukkkk not ? The buck stops with him

Why don't we do our home work on the opposition and do what they do to us ,stuff up their game plan.
I would have no problem if JL copied Lyons game plan, it is defence based ,just deploy that same method.
It's not too late ,keep playing the same way we are ,we will get the same results

The warning signs were there last year, sides are doing the following

1. No letting us kick short, or take easy options out of our backline. Forcing us to kick down the line.
2. Taking lots of short kicks against us, preventing us from getting the easy intercept down the line.
3. We are losing the centre clearences, forcing us to start off in our back 6.

These are the key things, I think everything else just minor additional details.

Acres has probably hurt us a bit, Lobb was solid as the option down the line but I think most of the issues are sides have adjusted their tactics to us, and we can't find another way to move the ball and score.
Agree..there was periods in games mids getting smashed out centre..not able clear the backline..they were able usually run over teams in last quarter..is it fitness issue..some look very unfit this year

I think it’s a combination of a lot of things. Lack of experience, lack of intent, team selection, no game breakers, confidence. Also for mine brayshaw has been off this year, and he was a big part of what we achieved last year. The competition is so even, if you’re even slightly off you get exposed. Until we fix this forward line we’re going nowhere. For me it starts there. We have to work so hard for our goals.

Back