What is your No 1 reason for Freos decline in 2023

• JL & Coaching

• Defense

• Midfield

• Forwards

• Players leaving

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Having to bring a forward up to curtail their midfield dominance is telling.

Also saying brayshaw clearance is down but his inside 50 is up is irrelevant especially when his delivery... Eg kicking one on Walters head is ineffectual but detrimental as offers them to easily rebound
The knock on effects of being that down in the middle are massive.

Being super young/inexperienced as well, especially in the middle of the ground vs the better midfields is why we're getting smashed there. It's why they brought in JOM to try to help. Great article and it explains a lot. Why they haven't brought in Erasmus yet - just adds to the young/inexperience in there.

Having a down year when we have no ******* picks is mind-bogglingly stupid but I can see why they wanted Dogga so much. It'll sort itself out I think but it'll take time. This perspective has given me a lot more empathy for JL.

Its a combination.

The club completely screwed the list management in the off season so we lost a bunch of B22 players. Jackson is the only player we brought in that doesn't appear to be a bust but we sold the farm for him so jury still out on his net impact for the club.

The coaches game plan doesn't work against high intensity, running in waves, sling shot after turn over footy.

p.s. our midfield sux! the mix is wrong, the coaching is wrong.

Damning isn't it?
Definitely. Either because we didn't anticipate it at all or because we brought in someone woeful incapable of making any difference.

I'll put my hand up and say I was happy to retire Mundy under the proviso we were going to play Ras and Johnno. Clearly that was also a bad idea.

Where did you read this?

-Fremantle played in a Semi Final last year.
-You don't spend 2 first-rounders and a second on a ruck/for in development mode.

Again, you seem to be way off.
Pretty selective quoting there. Does the site have any guidelines about that?

Where did I say I read it?

The club/coach does indeed seem to have miscalculated where we sit in terms of our list, the list's development, and the potency of our game plan.

One of the things that makes that clear is the lack of urgency in the development of Erasmus and Johnson despite them being high end draft picks and playing in the position we have shown to be doing poorly in.

That is in sharp contrast to how the club developed Cerra, Brayshaw, Young and Chapman. It is an indication that the miscalculation is a pretty significant factor in how our season is going, especially when coupled with the off season trades.

Definitely. Either because we didn't anticipate it at all or because we brought in someone woeful incapable of making any difference.

I'll put my hand up and say I was happy to retire Mundy under the proviso we were going to play Ras and Johnno. Clearly that was also a bad idea.
It does suggest that Mundy made the call himself though which may have caught the club out a bit.

It does suggest that Mundy made the call himself though which may have caught the club out a bit.
Not sure Mundy staying on another year would of been good. Could of delayed getting more games into younger guys but also towards the end it was quite evident he was slowing down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure Mundy staying on another year would of been good. Could of delayed getting more games into younger guys but also towards the end it was quite evident he was slowing down.
Evidence suggests we're carrying too many younger lads in the middle as is. I'd say you could only carry 2 younger mids (around 21/22) in a contending side. Max. Ras and Johnno would only compound that issue.

A disconnect between the players and the coaching staff. JL should really listen and work together with the team for something better and new..A new captain.. Serong would be amazing. Everyone in the team has a important role. Mindset needs to be a big focus..

We only fielded 5 100 game players against the Dogs.
We have a further 3 injured and 1 that was not selected.
We also traded 3 100 gamers at the end of last season and retired another.

I'm not sure how realistic it is to be in contention with that sort of experience profile. Losing experienced players whilst in prime age is pretty damaging. Even Darcy Tucker, although like most I was never a big fan.

In contrast, the Doggies fielded 13 100 gamers.

We only fielded 5 100 game players against the Dogs.
We have a further 3 injured and 1 that was not selected.
We also traded 3 100 gamers at the end of last season and retired another.

I'm not sure how realistic it is to be in contention with that sort of experience profile. Losing experienced players whilst in prime age is pretty damaging. Even Darcy Tucker, although like most I was never a big fan.

In contrast, the Doggies fielded 13 100 gamers.
I think expecting to win the flag was unrealistic given the profile. I think the problem most of us have is that we are currently spoon quality which is not understandable.

I think expecting to win the flag was unrealistic given the profile. I think the problem most of us have is that we are currently spoon quality which is not understandable.
Compounded effects with profile, age of list etc. Maybe an average to poor captain on field who's out of form leading to no belief in the group as well which further compounds the issue. Straw really broke the camels back here and I'm not convinced it's JL's OR Bell's fault.

Compounded effects with profile, age of list etc. Maybe an average to poor captain on field who's out of form leading to no belief in the group as well which further compounds the issue. Straw really broke the camels back here and I'm not convinced it's JL's OR Bell's fault.
Probably not, but I'm still blaming him.

Evidence suggests we're carrying too many younger lads in the middle as is. I'd say you could only carry 2 younger mids (around 21/22) in a contending side. Max. Ras and Johnno would only compound that issue.
Brayshaw and Serong are established players now with 100 and 60 games respectively. And I don't think Brodie can be claimed as young despite having played less games.

JOM is getting some stick, but I don't think he is performing that differently to Mundy last year. The style of his play, being one paced; these were known. Like others on here I think the four year contract is a worry.

It's on the wings where we are weak and lacking development. Acres being traded was shortsighted even though I can see why. The failure to get Henry to the required standard is hurting us. But the lack of a preseason strategy for how we would manage the wing position is what is disconcerting. It really looks like there was a total lack of concern.

No attempt to trial players such as Wilson or Clark. Chapman? No apparent grooming of Erasmus or Johnson into those positions. No confidence in Worner.

This season's most innovative positional move is Hughes to the wing. He is a fine workhorse and I am a fan of the positional depth he adds to our defense. Put him there, and get Clark on the wing.

Brayshaw and Serong are established players now with 100 and 60 games respectively. And I don't think Brodie can be claimed as young despite having played less games.

JOM is getting some stick, but I don't think he is performing that differently to Mundy last year. The style of his play, being one paced; these were known. Like others on here I think the four year contract is a worry.

It's on the wings where we are weak and lacking development. Acres being traded was shortsighted even though I can see why. The failure to get Henry to the required standard is hurting us. But the lack of a preseason strategy for how we would manage the wing position is what is disconcerting. It really looks like there was a total lack of concern.

No attempt to trial players such as Wilson or Clark. Chapman? No apparent grooming of Erasmus or Johnson into those positions. No confidence in Worner.

This season's most innovative positional move is Hughes to the wing. He is a fine workhorse and I am a fan of the positional depth he adds to our defense. Put him there, and get Clark on the wing.
Not using our players with pace or penetrating kicks on the wing is the most damning. I agree.

the lack of a preseason strategy for how we would manage the wing position is what is disconcerting. It really looks like there was a total lack of concern.

This is what baffles me. Was sure that’s why we brought in Corbett. Decent size with strong overhead mark, and from one report I read, one of GC’s best runners.

Was sure he was being primed for a HHF/wing split.

This is what baffles me. Was sure that’s why we brought in Corbett. Decent size with strong overhead mark, and from one report I read, one of GC’s best runners.

Was sure he was being primed for a HHF/wing split.
I thought he was bought in to replace Logues hybrid forward role

Back