The Law recreational drugs decriminalize or not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Then obey the law and don't use illegal drugs. It's not much to ask in return for free upkeep.

That's looking at it from a micro perspective, I'm talking more on a macro scale. The government are putting money into this sort of scheme when it could be used more effectively elsewhere.

But to your point, yeah, it isn't much to ask and if I were in their shoes I'd just pull my s**t together and stop, as easy as that sounds. But I'm not them and they're not me. They've got their own issues and circumstances, and sadly to say they need help. The whole notion of deterrence went right past their heads when they went against the law and procured their drugs in the first place.

Perhaps this scheme will work on a select few but there will also be those it won't work on and for those people they'll have their funds suffocated from them and they'll resort to crime so that they can get their fix. You can take the drugs from the addict but you won't be able to take the addict away from the drugs that easily.

The gov are trying to wipe their hands clean from providing them money that they'll use to buy drugs, but they're ignoring the ramifications it will have later on. All they'll do is cutting off branches of a massive tree, when what they need to be doing instead is buying themselves a bigger chainsaw to cut at the stump and unroot the problems.

That's looking at it from a micro perspective, I'm talking more on a macro scale. The government are putting money into this sort of scheme when it could be used more effectively elsewhere.

But to your point, yeah, it isn't much to ask and if I were in their shoes I'd just pull my s**t together and stop, as easy as that sounds. But I'm not them and they're not me. They've got their own issues and circumstances, and sadly to say they need help. The whole notion of deterrence went right past their heads when they went against the law and procured their drugs in the first place.

Perhaps this scheme will work on a select few but there will also be those it won't work on and for those people they'll have their funds suffocated from them and they'll resort to crime so that they can get their fix. You can take the drugs from the addict but you won't be able to take the addict away from the drugs that easily.

The gov are trying to wipe their hands clean from providing them money that they'll use to buy drugs, but they're ignoring the ramifications it will have later on. All they'll do is cutting off branches of a massive tree, when what they need to be doing instead is buying themselves a bigger chainsaw to cut at the stump and unroot the problems.

It's only a trial at this stage. If it's not effective they'll stop it.

It's only a trial at this stage. If it's not effective they'll stop it.

Regardless, the implementation of the scheme is Orwellian and even if it doesn't affect the majority of welfare recipients it's still vilifying on those it does target.

There should be blanket decriminalization of drugs, and similar to the U.S right now a legalisation process similar to marijuana. Make an industry out of all these recreational drugs, eventually. Limit monopolies. Tax it. Make mad government bank to direct to better places like social safety nets and retirement -- in place of "wars" on things. Seriously people talk about "ice" all the time like it's even comparable to the rate alcohol affects society and actually kills people through heart disease etc.. So this idea we see a difference between drugs and alcohol? So archaic.

The war on drugs has been long lost.I don't see benefits from continuing with criminalisation of drug habits.In country's with progressive drug policy's such as Portugal where drug addiction is treated as a health problem and money is spent on health education and employment program's rather than processing addicts through the legal system the results are positive and beneficial to the society.By having drugs criminalised you are eventually leaving drug users to the mercy of criminals when their issues should be seen as to stem from illness .

Legalisation is worse. Government cant sell dangerous drugs. And if you read back, you will see the argument is government cant give away free drugs.

Yeah, prescription drugs like fentanyl are a huge problem. Just like Dextroamphetamine abuse is a huge problem with many in health care facilities.

Australia has buckets of education. And Australia a larger proportion of people in health facilities affected by drugs.

Even if the government went ahead with selling dangerous psychoactive drugs, dealers will sell them cheaper.

Last edited:
There should be blanket decriminalization of drugs, and similar to the U.S right now a legalisation process similar to marijuana. Make an industry out of all these recreational drugs, eventually. Limit monopolies. Tax it. Make mad government bank to direct to better places like social safety nets and retirement -- in place of "wars" on things. Seriously people talk about "ice" all the time like it's even comparable to the rate alcohol affects society and actually kills people through heart disease etc.. So this idea we see a difference between drugs and alcohol? So archaic.

You are on drugs!

If you lifted the number of people ingesting psycho-active crack to the number of people drinking, the joint would be a s**t show.

As Dr Karl has said, they have found 18 year olds with the hearts of 90 year olds. Its a health issue.

Legalisation is worse. Government cant sell dangerous drugs. And if you read back, you will see the argument is government cant give away free drugs.

If government puts a tax on psycho-active dangerous drugs, they wont compete with dealers.

What, you are going to say the experienced ones are all nut jobs now? You are going to argue with the people that have to deal with all the drug affected crazy people?

Drug-induced psychosis: Using or withdrawing from drugs, especially cannabis and amphetamines, can cause psychotic symptoms that last for short or long periods
https://www.headspace.org.au/young-people/understanding-psychosis-for-young-people/

Last edited:
The irony is that with an ''all drugs are bad'' education mantra, people who do use them (they are everywhere, the demand is never going away, neither is the supply) eventually, inevitably don't know how to use them safely at all.
This is a cause for addiction, not knowing how to use a drug properly and how it works and the stigma with using it.

Education system just shouts NO DRUGS and gives you a look at the worst case scenario, long term drug use pics we have of druggies, see BAD! But that's not actually an education, and those people shown probably never got a chance at real help anyway but there they are, set up as an example of what not to do. Never mind their upbringing or background or never having a dad or living in poverty from a young age or tragedy etc. Who cares about that, that would be humanizing addiction, and not the path the Govt wants to take apparently.
The stigma involved with illegality leads to people hiding it, for longer then they should, to their own and others detriment. The drugs they actually take, made from various chems in third world labs etc even if they were not incredibly addictive (weed isnt, neither is mdma really, coffee and cigs and booze are but), the chems in them and crude techniques used to make them will literally cut your insides up with long term use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Addiction is psychological and has bugger all to do with using drugs safely or the stigma.

Which drugs are good?

If only it was that simple.
Advances in neuroscience have proven that the brain's "reward" pathways have been hijacked in the addiction processes.

As for 'good' drugs

Psilocybin has had a +ve effect on this li'l black duck

I probably sit in this camp. The execution of how it is achieved is probably still up for debate.

I probably don't sit in the wholesale decriminalise camp (carrying drugs on the street) but I would decriminalise the regulated consumption in demarcated facilities. The impact on medicare, employment, social welfare, drivers licence etc would all need to be appropriately considered.

Under today's OH&S employers should be informed, so they can make an assessment of when to let employees back on site. ie a mining company simply can't afford to risk other employees lives and have drug testing policies which have low thresholds and low tolerance for good reasons. Anyone who has taken MDMA would know of the down feeling a few days later. So a pill on a Saturday night might require a 4-7 day break from work and driving a vehicle.

Personally I would like to see people swipe their medicare card when buying sugary products. That way when decisions by doctors have to be made, such as the allocation of scarce health resources, the doctors can make an informed decision based on mutual responsibility. If I have that view on sugar, you could appreciate how that translates to drugs. It's not to stop the use of sugar or drugs but to promote the concept of responsible use.

Drugs are fun but they come with serious considerations.

If only it was that simple.
Advances in neuroscience have proven that the brain's "reward" pathways have been hijacked in the addiction processes.

As for 'good' drugs

Psilocybin has had a +ve effect on this li'l black duck

Is that a recreational drug?

Safe as then.
Let's make it free and easily accessible to all the kiddies, because drugs are good.

Booze isnt free. It isnt legal for people under 18 to buy it. Whats your point? That children shouldn't do recreational drugs? Obviously. I agree.

Also prescription drugs kill more people then all illegal drugs combined, and prescriptions come with instructions and you chat to a doctor before he prescribes it, we should probably ban them?

Booze isnt free. It isnt legal for people under 18 to buy it. Whats your point? That children shouldn't do recreational drugs? Obviously. I agree.

Back to that again.

Booze is legal therefore recreational drugs should be legal & easily accessible?
Given the damage we know booze causes to society, that isn't a very convincing argument.

Also prescription drugs kill more people then all illegal drugs combined, and prescriptions come with instructions and you chat to a doctor before he prescribes it, we should probably ban them?

Predictable strawman.

Tell us, what purpose do recreational drugs serve?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back