Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2004
East Fremantle
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Derby County FC
Mods please delete if not allowed.

I am a journalism student in Sydney doing a story about how covid/the lockdowns have affected peoples relationships with their neighbours.

By way of background, there has been a bit of coverage in the press about how covid has brought neighbours closer together. On the other side of the coin, there has also been stories about disputes between neighbours about noise and other things like that whilst people are stuck at home. In my own neighbourhood in Sydney I've noticed a lot more people complaining about dogs defecating in front of peoples houses (i've literally seen 2 hand written signs saying dog's can't defecate in front of this house, weird- it makes me think that is because people are spending so much time at home.)

So i'm keen to know- how has everyone's relationships with their neighbours been since covid? Have they got worse? Or have they got better? Has an issue about construction/renovation noise escalated since the virus began? Is that dog barking now unbearable when you have to work at home?

Please message me if you'd like to share something or post below.

Thanks.

No big difference. We live in a cul-de-sac and in the early days of March/April had a few get-togethers with most of the street in a big circle having a chat and drinks. People looked out for the elderly and dropped off some groceries so they didn't have to go out.

If people did have friends over they usually just had some chairs and spaced out in their driveways. So, it kind of became a bit more social as you'd always see people as you'd walk around the streets.

Families were protective of their kids but eventually got to trust their circle. Play dates started up again and kids rode bikes in the street and went to each others houses.

So, nothing changed too much. People were a bit wary at first but everyone kept pretty friendly and social.

Everybody is pretty private here so nothings changed
4 off them I occasionally chat with I havent seen for nearly a year
I wave and say hello to the one below me a few times in 6 months if we are out at the same time
Ive waved and said hello to other side of me a few times
Ive smsed another a few times
and avoided the scumbag one for well over a year

On one side, things improved substantially because the uni students renting there could no longer have big boozy parties on the weekend. The landlords have also taken advantage of the economic environment to lodge a DA for a knockdown/rebuild, so presumably their lease won't be renewed.

On the other side, nothing really changed other than more basketballs coming over the fence when the schools were closed.

There's an old lady a couple of doors down who we occasionally do favours for - she has been calling us a bit more often. I suspect that's probably got to do with her family coming over less.

Mods please delete if not allowed.

I am a journalism student in Sydney doing a story about how covid/the lockdowns have affected peoples relationships with their neighbours.

By way of background, there has been a bit of coverage in the press about how covid has brought neighbours closer together. On the other side of the coin, there has also been stories about disputes between neighbours about noise and other things like that whilst people are stuck at home. In my own neighbourhood in Sydney I've noticed a lot more people complaining about dogs defecating in front of peoples houses (i've literally seen 2 hand written signs saying dog's can't defecate in front of this house, weird- it makes me think that is because people are spending so much time at home.)

So i'm keen to know- how has everyone's relationships with their neighbours been since covid? Have they got worse? Or have they got better? Has an issue about construction/renovation noise escalated since the virus began? Is that dog barking now unbearable when you have to work at home?

Please message me if you'd like to share something or post below.

Thanks.
All good. Generally you should contact us first but play on.

No major changes. But the people who are friendly more likely to say hello. Even around the local area because people are isolated they seem more friendly when they come into contact with someone and polite. On the negative those who tend to be a hats are even bigger a holes now and complain about the most minute things.

Don’t get along with the neighbours on the east side. Haven’t spoken a word for close to two years. I once politely asked if they could turn the music down (we have young kids), it was about 8:45. I didn’t say ‘turn it off’ just asked if they could turn down a little. She told me it was only early on a Saturday night, then I get a message saying ‘get ****ed’ from the daughter. Clearly meant for the mum. Gave her a response. Have totally ignored them since seeing all I did was ask them to turn it down a little and had a 15 year old telling me to get ****ed. I also paid her above average for babysitting when I needed it. The mum said hello once or twice but I’ve ignored her, no she doesn’t bother anymore.

Bloke on the west keeps to himself. Fine. Doesn’t say anything to anyone. Say hi to the old man over the road, his son lives with him so he is ok. One more older couple and another bloke a few doors along I’ll speak to. All in all it’s a very antisocial street. No gatherings, events, etc. Neighbours I’ve never really cared about unless there’s something in it for me. I.e good looker or someone with a neat gadget, wine cellar or beer fridge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had an extremely sad situation happen here in my building.

Early-ish one morning, about 2-3 weeks ago, i could hear alot of voices/people in the landings outside my apartment. Which is kind of unusual, but thought nothing of it. Then i noticed the cops and the ambulance parked outside followed up by the fire brigade. The old fella across from me had passed away from cancer.

I genuinely felt terrible. a. the fact i lived right near him and had no idea. b. i was dealing with my own s**t so barely leaving my house anyway. and c. the fact i just couldnt remember his name (only met/saw him a few times- and im shocking with names).

The next day, i made an effort to meet my new neighbour (the one next to him), offered to grab a coffee with her, whatever, if she liked.

I would say in 95% of cases the only reason people are buddy buddy with their neighbours is if they both have children and own their homes.

i guess this is a bit late now. didn't really have too much to do with my neighbours in the lead-up either.

one neighbour moved in during march, right before s**t hit the fan the first time. my other neighbour is super paranoid (or super careful) and had been self-isolating with the rest of her family since... mid january. we can overhear their bizarre conversations about the virus occasionally.
it's interesting to note that this neighbour called the cops on me for parking in a street where it's open slather, in a way that supposedly stopped her hatchback from reversing into her own drive way. i moved the car because i was sick of her s**t. she's since installed a gate and does not use the driveway.
anyway, this rather cop-happy neighbour has not called the police in when my neighbour on the other side has had loud gatherings during lockdown despite an apparent fear of the virus and a willingness to involve authorities for the most insignificant of things.

neither have i called the police on them, but i've considered it. more to do with how much the noise annoyed me rather than breaking covid laws. i might go down the landlord route if it's still a problem.

with that off my chest... my only real interaction with neighbours has been eavesdropping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back