Richmond. The rebuild to the 2017 premiership (Review on 2016-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Guess what mate ? Richmond are the big dog in this town and they have just won th e flag, and people don’t want to discuss minnow clubs like the dees
Minnow club. Righto. I've actually been pretty supportive of Richmond in this thread so maybe ship off.

Hawkins played a good GF about 7 years ago, hes been average ever since. In reality hes not fit to lick Jack Riewoldt's boots.
Geelong didn't really have a standout gun KPF between 07-11, I mean Mooney was solid without being a star. I think we need to look at the spine for a side on the make, that's why I really like the Bombers and Swans. If the Eagles could get a couple of A grade midfielders then i reckon they'd go straight back into top 4 contention. Maybe Gaff and Shuey can be those players next year?

We've got plenty of lite players... Jack "Beanstalk" Martin (73kg), Brayden "The Beast" Fiorini (72kg), Will "Our Star Draft Pick" Powell (65kg), Callum "The Sneeze" Ah Chee (71kg), Josh "Showtime" Schoenfeld (70kg)!! Beat that :p

Two of those four aren’t ‘elite’.

Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan and Ablett are far superior. Menegola is better than Cotchin too.

So not only is the addition of ablett to geelong turn round a 51pt finals deficit, hes going to make them flog richmond?

so a 15 goal turnaround due to one 34yr old?

So not only is the addition of ablett to geelong turn round a 51pt finals deficit, hes going to make them flog richmond?

so a 15 goal turnaround due to one 34yr old?
Did I say that?

4 is a tough number to beat, though I think Riewoldt is borderline based on the last two years. His game changed and I wouldn’t rank him in the top 10 key forwards anymore

So I think the number is generous to Richmond
If Riewoldt is the standard, Essendon would lay claim to Daniher, hurley, Merrett and hooker.
Borderline would be Fantasia who is getting to be a top forward pocket player, but not elite across a season yet

4 is a tough number to beat, though I think Riewoldt is borderline based on the last two years. His game changed and I wouldn’t rank him in the top 10 key forwards anymore

So I think the number is generous to Richmond
If Riewoldt is the standard, Essendon would lay claim to Daniher, hurley, Merrett and hooker.
Borderline would be Fantasia who is getting to be a top forward pocket player, but not elite across a season yet
you could argue that Reiwoldt has been more important in the last 2 years because of the role he is playing.
Of course he could play from the square and kick his 60+ but is that the best thing for the Tigers? Obviously not.

you could argue that Reiwoldt has been more important in the last 2 years because of the role he is playing.
Of course he could play from the square and kick his 60+ but is that the best thing for the Tigers? Obviously not.
Don’t doubt his role is important but lots of clubs have important role players
We have Stewart taking a defender to free up Daniher and hooker. Wouldn’t call him elite
If we’re talking pure elite talent, I’d say the tigers have 3 in martin, Cotchin and Rance
Which is where a few teams are

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was to compare Richmond to another team's set of elite's it would be Freo from a few years back with:
Sandilands, Pavlich, Fyfe and McPharlin. That was a pretty similarly structured type of team. With guns in different positions around the ground.

From an Essendon perspective I don't think our drop off from Daniher, Hurley and Merrett to Heppell, Hooker, Fantasia etc is that large. Only Daniher looks like he could truly be a top 10 player in the comp for many years right now (not including the youngsters like McGrath/Parish).

One more than you started with in 2017 so it can change.
This is true.
Hope it happens for you guys and you break your drought soon. All supporters deserve to see at least one flag in their lifetime.

Not sure your next core group is going to be good enough though. Some aggressive trading and recruiting could potentially fix it.

This is true.
Hope it happens for you guys and you break your drought soon. All supporters deserve to see at least one flag in their lifetime.

Not sure your next core group is going to be good enough though. Some aggressive trading and recruiting could potentially fix it.

Plenty of top end talent and depth just need games. Should be primed to go this season.

The Dees could challenge i think................
It's an interesting question.

Rance - Lever
Martin - Petracca
Cotchin - Oliver
Riewoldt - Hogan

The Richmond players have played between 120 - 175 more games than their Demon counterparts. I'd say the young Dees are tracking at a similar level at the same age / games experience. For example Hogan has kicked 105 goals from 51 games and Riewoldt had 72 goals from 51 games; Oliver already has a B&F coming off a season that included a 30 disposal average, the most loose ball gets in the AFL, and top 20 ever most contested possessions (since AFL records have been recording the stat); and Lever had the most intercept possessions in the AFL in 2017 (Rance second), and the second most intercept marks behind McGovern.

But it's still proven versus (relative) potential - albeit they all have shone at AFL level as shown above.

Perhaps the difference is we're hoping the likes of Gawn, Viney, Brayshaw, Hunt, and Salem can progress to 'All Australian' type levels to more than just complement the quartet mentioned above (as Hibberd did this year).

That's not to say Richmond don't have other quality players like Grimes, Prestia, Houli, etc.

Other than Gawn, all players are '23 and under', and none, including Gawn, have played 100 games.

I know this is a "Bay" type thread, so apologies for a serious response.

Who are going to be your core group of players who are 25-29 when you are in the flag window?

Carlisle Ross Bruce Billings Acres Gresham McCartin Membrey Newnes Steele Roberton Webster Weller Dunstan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back