VFL Richmond VFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I know you all want to make a point about AFLW, but the league funds player salaries and match days operations from that directly. Only costs the club in admin, so there's nothing to cut.
You don’t think the fact that the women’s pay increases will go ahead is a little out of step with what’s happening Across the game as a whole?

if the afl can financially back the AFLW then it should back the VFL.

People need to get an understanding of the new reality.

The 2021 year is going to extremely challenging economically for all AFL Clubs and the population in general. The Broadcast agreement has been renegotiated with lower industry revenue. This means lower club distributions and a football department soft cap that is yet to be finalised, but is likely to have a reduction of $3million or around 35%. So when your footy department spend decreases to such an extent, something has to give.

And just as an aside, if you think our match return revenue will magically pop back to pre Covid levels, think again as there’s highly likely that any crowds next year will be capped to a Covid manageable level.

So, given the above, if the Coach and the Football Dept believe that Scratch Matches with other non VFL/NEAFL participating clubs will provide the right amount of squad benefits for the cost, wouldn’t you do it? Remembering that squad sizes will also be reduced and any participation in a NEAFL/VFL competition would require top up players and cost?

Any soft cap fine is just straw on an already busted camel.

Haere Ra
Interesting. Any indication yet of which clubs will still field their own team in the revamped comp? I really would have thought we would be among the small number of clubs that could/should be able to do so.
I think the value of having our own team is obvious, and going back to the Coburg model brings back the old power struggle issue of who makes decisions on selection and on-field playing roles etc. but if everyone has to do it, then it won’t be a great disadvantage.

Clubs comp wide are actually planning for no crowds until 2023.
that is not to say there won’t be crowds before then, but they are planning for a worst case scenario.
* well that prob underlines why we re taking the road we are , ALL limited resource to back the AFL program then work backwards from there , fundamentally it would make nil sense to dilute our recruiting and senior coaching resources just to run the vfl when other viable options could be pursued

Kiwi Tiger all but confirmed our mens VFL team is going .Funds are tighter than people think .
Geelong's President is expecting next years financial's to be worse if crowd restrictions are still in force .They're expecting drop off in memberships if people can't go to games again .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app
If crowds arent assured then the impact on membership will be massive , anything over 50,000 would be fantastic and it would be unconscionable to sell res seats or illegal so yes fin impact of 21 could be much worse than this year , that said clubs will have cut their cloths to suit and you’d reasonably expect with the tough measures in place for vic that by mid year in 21 crowds of some size would be permitted , not that 10-20k at the G will help much

Interesting. Any indication yet of which clubs will still field their own team in the revamped comp? I really would have thought we would be among the small number of clubs that could/should be able to do so.
I think the value of having our own team is obvious, and going back to the Coburg model brings back the old power struggle issue of who makes decisions on selection and on-field playing roles etc. but if everyone has to do it, then it won’t be a great disadvantage.
Hopefully we get in quick and align with port Melbourne before any other *ers have same bright idea

Beyond a joke look at European football epl how many coaches they can have and spend on staff or technology, developing unlimited as you said the afl do this so minnow clubs stay with strong clubs and how many of these clubs been on life support for decades.
The other thing with the epl and All other major competitions is they didn’t reduce the length of their matches

You don’t think the fact that the women’s pay increases will go ahead is a little out of step with what’s happening Across the game as a whole?

if the afl can financially back the AFLW then it should back the VFL.
The AFL get a massive kick back from the federal government to have woman’s football .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps a seperate allocation for VFL spending also might have been a fair approach.
That’s what I would have thought would make sense as it encourages clubs to then invest in legitimate pathways , it ain’t healthy if several clubs choose to go this route which I suspect they might. Smarts would create a vfl cap that clubs could either field own side or align choice entirely up to them

People need to get an understanding of the new reality.

The 2021 year is going to extremely challenging economically for all AFL Clubs and the population in general. The Broadcast agreement has been renegotiated with lower industry revenue. This means lower club distributions and a football department soft cap that is yet to be finalised, but is likely to have a reduction of $3million or around 35%. So when your footy department spend decreases to such an extent, something has to give.

And just as an aside, if you think our match return revenue will magically pop back to pre Covid levels, think again as there’s highly likely that any crowds next year will be capped to a Covid manageable level.

So, given the above, if the Coach and the Football Dept believe that Scratch Matches with other non VFL/NEAFL participating clubs will provide the right amount of squad benefits for the cost, wouldn’t you do it? Remembering that squad sizes will also be reduced and any participation in a NEAFL/VFL competition would require top up players and cost?

Any soft cap fine is just straw on an already busted camel.

Haere Ra
Just reading this again, so you’re suggesting some clubs might not participate at all in the new VFL/NEAFL comp and choose to have their own informal matches between themselves? That would be extraordinary, but then again we are living in extraordinary times.

The AFL are hypocrites . They slash 20% of their workforce then the next week send 400 to a hub in Queensland at a alleged cost of 5.5 mill and comes after telling clubs they must slash their soft cap and finning clubs . Will these 400 be held to the same account as the players and be fined if they breach protocols ? The competition has ran to this point without them , yet all of a sudden it’s a requirement that they be there .
$ 300k per club just on this move alone .

Last edited:
The AFL are hypocrites . They slash 20% of their workforce then the next week send 400 to a hub in Queensland at a alleged cost of 5.5 mill and comes after telling clubs they must slash their soft cap and finning clubs . Will these 400 be held to the same account as the players and be fined if they breach protocols ? The competition has ran to this point without them , yet all of a sudden it’s a requirement that they be there .
$ 300k per club just on this move alone .
Geelong sent up a group of around 60 last week, that’s a ridiculous amount. In that 60 it included a nanny, a board member and his family. Like wtf do those people need to be up there for?

That's not what Caro was saying at all. Listen to the interview. You're outraged about something that isn't even true.
I'm listening again: Paul Marsh interview from 6:24 5 September 2020
Caro says 'there are people from the Richmond football club who have lost their jobs and are now hearing that their club is going to have to pay $100K and have that money come out of their football dept soft cap...I'm told that the VFL team is now impossible.....now it certainly won't. There are people who won't get jobs next year as a result of this. I put it to you there is so little sympathy for these 2 footballers and what they have done. ......

My issue with this is that Niall's article on the death of the whole VFL ~ not just Richmond ~ is dated 19 August. Cotchn/CJ/SS's fines have had nothing to do with that. CJ Stack incident 4 September

RFC's decision to disband the VFLW was (24 Aug 2020) . Cotch/CJ/SS fines had nothing to do with that decision.

Marsh has just told them that the whole COVID fine threat seems to lack legal power.

Shall I continue?

Last edited:
This is bloody terrible news.

On an entirely selfish level, this sucks for me. Going to Punt Rd for the curtain raiser was one of my favourite things.

At a club level, this sucks because I think our VFL team has been a major part of how we dug ourselves out of that mighty hole. We started our standalone team in 2014. It's been critical in our player development, which is a major competitive advantage. Balta, Short, Castagna, Chol, Baker, Markov, KMac and Soldo possibly never get to AFL level if they play for Coburg, out of position and with a completely different game plan. Caddy probably never learns to play wing. Bolton probably stays a forward pocket. Townsend does not come into a defensive forward role at the end of 2017 if his been playing 100% inside mid at Coburg.

Having a VFL team didn't contribute to, say, Shane Edwards improvement, or Dusty being Dusty, or the recruitment of Tom Lynch, but when you add up all the players it did improve, I reckon it would be pretty close to the single most significant factor in our rise.

At a comp-level this sucks because it signals there probably won't be a reserves comp next year. If we can't afford it, who can?

Terrible times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back