Richmond's struggle with interstate games

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you ever notice the size of a local ground when you run out on it? Its really not as big an issue as you make it out to be.

Anyway, I agree it should rotate between all grounds that are big enough - which is 70k minimum, preferably 80k. Everyone deserves to find out that the GF being in your home state doesn't mean you just get to go because you feel like it
Hey! Would you look at that, it does rotate between all ground with a capacity that big!

Which is not the fault of clubs.

They kept capacity at the G above 75k for the Northern side redev, shouldn't be a problem doing the same for Southern side.
So with anz at 82000

There is clearly no option but to move it to anz for the redevelopment

As has been stated hundreds of times - the largest stadium should get the cookies?

Ok so next year it's the MCG's turn under a rotating system, how do you plan differently than last year?

Same as always, play to your strengths and hope it holds up at the G.

Before you say "ha! So nothing changes" be aware that it would at least mean 4
5 clubs arent advantaged over the other 13.5. 0.5 being the Cats depending on how you look at that.

And 50-odd likes...

....salty goodness, what a time to be alive and a Tiger!!

Interstate there is definitely an issue with composure, but we need to remember it's a side with plenty of young kids due to injury/forced retirement.

That away game at Metricon is coming up and might be the place to break this mini-hoodoo
Lets get one thing abundantly clear, it was nice to see the poor old tigers get a flag heck I couldn't less if you went back to back.

Doesn't really change the fact you guys are half the side away from victoria.

Which stadiums do you think should be in the rotation?

1 stadium from each football playing state. I dont even care if the ground is one that isnt even uses during H&A (this would actually be a bonus).

60k is enough imo. Tell states they have 5 years to get a 60k stadium - if they choose not to then thats on them - not the AFL.

This has been Adelaide's problem over the last couple of years. Let's get our Plan A into gear and wipe teams off the park. When Plan A doesn't work they go to Plan A because they don't have a Plan B. All the best teams change it up when things aren't working. Adelaide don't.

Cant agree more. Not really the point of the thread though hey?

So with anz at 82000

There is clearly no option but to move it to anz for the redevelopment

As has been stated hundreds of times - the largest stadium should get the cookies?
There's a contract in place.

GSS won't be coming down for 20 years, it's still too good a facility and by then ANZ will be 70k after they have backflipped 5 more times over their plans.

There's a contract in place.

GSS won't be coming down for 20 years, it's still too good a facility and by then ANZ will be 70k after they have backflipped 5 more times over their plans.
But if not all you mcg capacity guys will be adamant that it should be played at anz right?

1 stadium from each football playing state. I dont even care if the ground is one that isnt even uses during H&A (this would actually be a bonus).

60k is enough imo. Tell states they have 5 years to get a 60k stadium - if they choose not to then thats on them - not the AFL.
How will SA achieve this. Re-develop the recently re-developed Adelaide Oval?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said numerous times I'm happy for the GF to be rotated as long as the hosts meet certain criteria. No issues with rotation, I just don't think there is currently a ground that can do it justice apart from the MCG, and yes capacity is a big part of that.

You simply couldn't hold it at a ground half the size, ticket prices would essentially double for starters to reclaim the lost revenue and your locking 48,000 people out of the game.

I don't think it HAS to be a 100k stadium, but you can start the conversation at 75k+ if the stadium is world class.

Last edited:
How will SA achieve this. Re-develop the recently re-developed Adelaide Oval?

Again, if the state government doesnt want to play ball, they dont get a Granny. But at least the AFL arent dictating the terms. The offer is there as soon as SA wanna come to the party.

100k is simply ridiculous to ask of a state government.

I've said numerous times I'm happy for the GF to be rotated as long as the hosts meet certain criteria. No issues with rotation, I just don't think there is currently a ground that can do it justice apart from the MCG, and yes capacity is a big part of that.

You simply couldn't hold it at a ground half the size, ticket prices would essentially double for starters to reclaim the lost revenue and your locking 48,000 people out of the game.

Asking for 100k is simply naive. It is too costly.
Even 80k.

60k is perfectly reasonable - WCE fans have shown how loud Optus can get.

Lets get one thing abundantly clear, it was nice to see the poor old tigers get a flag heck I couldn't less if you went back to back.

Doesn't really change the fact you guys are half the side away from victoria.

I’ll bite at this one

Really didn’t look like half the side against GWS, we had a player kick 5 behinds and one on the full, and plenty of others miss easy chances. While bad kicking is bad football, we had GWS covered in every other area of the game.

Lost to Port at full strength with a handful of players out. Had our chances but didn’t take them and ultimately lost a close game.

Lost to Adelaide in round 2 convincingly although we were getting close before Ashbury muffed a kick that lead straight to a goal. Round 2 though and Adelaide had everything to play for.

Lost to West Coast at their peak similar to the way we lost to Adelaide last year. The ground wouldn’t have made a difference IMO they were just a better team on the day.

Our interstate issues are being severely overstated. We haven’t played the three rubbish teams interstate nor have we got the good interstate teams without as many key players as others. Just look at what Darling and Kennedy did to Collingwood today in Melbourne.

Apparently its able to get to 70k, which if compared to 75k is just splitting hairs.
That's great, then like all big events the WA Government and Optus Stadium put together a pitch and a business case to the AFL, show how good the GF week events could be in Perth, show where all the parades and events and such would be held. Showcase the stadium, etc.

It's not hard to build a case professionally rather than just saying hey AFL change it please!

I am glad the non-Victorian teams and supporters are finally speaking out on this issue. Not that it will do any good as the AFL are not going to listen but even so, if we are loud enough about the issue then they will surely have to at least discuss it in the media.

That's great, then like all big events the WA Government and Optus Stadium put together a pitch and a business case to the AFL, show how good the GF week events could be in Perth, show where all the parades and events and such would be held. Showcase the stadium, etc.

It's not hard to build a case professionally rather than just saying hey AFL change it please!

You are talking at me like I am one of those parties. Who knows? Perhaps the question was asked previously.

Nevertheless you again miss the point, it shouldn't be up to WA Govt to fight for fairness in the sport - the AFL is squarely responsible for that.

24-28 our way.

Prolly would have lost if it was the other way round right?

Those extra 4 kicks were worth 1.5 goals each
Bit like the MCG being the only factor leading to our 8-goal win over the Crows in last year's GF hey champ. Do you get the stupidity of your argument?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back