Riley Knight - where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Knight was drafted in 2013. He burst onto the AFL scene in 2015, and instantly became a darling of the Adelaide BF board after a good showing in the final against the Bulldogs that year.

2016 was a year for him to forget. He managed just one AFL game, and it was a stinker. He spent most of the season watching from the sidelines due to injury, returning too late to force his way back into the senior team.

2017 hasn't been a great one for him either. He's played just 7 of 13 games, as the selectors yo-yo him in and out of the team. Given that he's only averaging 15.3 disposals per game, it's hard to blame them. He's back in the team this week, but only because of injuries/illness to Cameron & Lynch.

Right now, Knight appears to be existing in the twilight zone, on the fringe of the team. While BF views him fondly, largely as a result of one game he played two years ago, the coaches are far less sentimental. He's clearly not in our best 22, and is now a depth player who plays only when better players are injured. As a 4th year midfielder, 15.3 disposals per game is not a compelling case for ongoing selection.

Knight is out of contract at the end of this year.

Adelaide have a long history of hanging onto fringe players until long after their use by dates have expired. I will never understand how Brodie Martin stayed on our list as long as he did. In recent years they've become more aggressive in turning over these fringe players - think Lyons, Grigg, Kerridge and (to a lesser extent) Wright. I think it's unlikely, but I wouldn't be shocked if the AFC decided to trade him while he still has some currency.

What does the future hold for Knight? Can he push beyond his current fringe/depth status, to establish himself in our best 22? Will the AFC show some ruthlessness, trading him to another club? Is he capable of more than he's shown to date?

Continuity is the key for Knight. Needs a string of solid games just like Lyons had last season to see if he is up to it or not. You're right when you say supporters think highly of him because of his elimination final he played 2 seasons ago, however I do see plenty of upside. Worth persisting with

Needs some continuity. Played pretty well against the Giants, Port, Essendon and Gold Coast, followed up by two quiet games against North and St Kilda, where he's been in and out of the side. Can't technically argue that he didn't deserve to be dropped after those two performances, but at the same time, I think we should persist. It's no use giving him one game here and there, where he will likely be nervous and worried about making mistakes for fear of being dropped.

Trading him is probably a pointless exercise. Can't see us getting more than a late third at best (probably less than that since we're useless at trading), and I think the possible benefits he can provide us are worth more than that late pick.

Continuity is the key for Knight. Needs a string of solid games just like Lyons had last season to see if he is up to it or not. You're right when you say supporters think highly of him because of his elimination final he played 2 seasons ago, however I do see plenty of upside. Worth persisting with

A lot of talk from multiple people with info saying that he is rated highly internally as well.

I'd be one to agree with them, big fan of his and what he can bring to the table.

Just needs that continuity, injuries haven't been great to him so far.

Still sits in the unsure how good he can be category since he hasn't played enough games in a row. Should be played ahead of players like Mackay but unsure if he offers more than players like Seedsman, Hampton, Menzel, Galluci in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen enough in him to think we should persist. Yes his numbers aren't great, but with the emphasis on different rotations in the midfield and up forward, I think they aren't too bad (much the same as Hampton from memory). He does some clever things, tackles well and seems pretty good in traffic as far as making good decisions, so I think he has a future still. One of our biggest losses this year IMHO was Hampton as his tackling pressure and pace were very good in the first few games. With him out, then we need Knight to step up.

Depends what happens in the off-season.

His kicking can be excellent, his intent is great ... noticed him struggling to run out games, but that just might be continuity.

I suppose see who we lose, and who we gain in the trade period, that will probably seal his fate one way or the other.

2017 hasn't been a great one for him either. He's played just 7 of 13 games, as the selectors yo-yo him in and out of the team. Given that he's only averaging 15.3 disposals per game, it's hard to blame them. He's back in the team this week, but only because of injuries/illness to Cameron & Lynch.

What does the future hold for Knight? Can he push beyond his current fringe/depth status, to establish himself in our best 22? Will the AFC show some ruthlessness, trading him to another club? Is he capable of more than he's shown to date?
Like many players before him, his potential may never be realised if he can't avoid injury.

The reason he is so well regarded by the coaches is that he plays the type of football that fits with our game plan. He wants to play on, he wants to handball forward not backwards, he is a good tackler and he runs and runs and runs.

His disposal count is hardly an issue when he has played mostly as a high half forward, not exactly a position for high stats.

I will maintain the faith (provided he doesn't get anymore injuries).

Knight was drafted in 2013. He burst onto the AFL scene in 2015, and instantly became a darling of the Adelaide BF board after a good showing in the final against the Bulldogs that year.

2016 was a year for him to forget. He managed just one AFL game, and it was a stinker. He spent most of the season watching from the sidelines due to injury, returning too late to force his way back into the senior team.

Right now, Knight appears to be existing in the twilight zone, on the fringe of the team. While BF views him fondly, largely as a result of one game he played two years ago, the coaches are far less sentimental. He's clearly not in our best 22, and is now a depth player who plays only when better players are injured. As a 4th year midfielder, 15.3 disposals per game is not a compelling case for ongoing selection.

Knight is out of contract at the end of this year.

Adelaide have a long history of hanging onto fringe players until long after their use by dates have expired. I will never understand how Brodie Martin stayed on our list as long as he did. In recent years they've become more aggressive in turning over these fringe players - think Lyons, Grigg, Kerridge and (to a lesser extent) Wright. I think it's unlikely, but I wouldn't be shocked if the AFC decided to trade him while he still has some currency.

Coaches view him as best 22. Campo straight out stated "we see Riley in our best 22" about 2 weeks ago. So your wrong about the coaches' opinions. Has a bit of a gold pass atm hence why he's straight back in the side

Hope he doesn't become another Brodie Martin or Mitch Grigg, overtaken by younger models

In his hands this week

Coaches view him as best 22. Campo straight out stated "we see Riley in our best 22" about 2 weeks ago. So your wrong about the coaches' opinions. Has a bit of a gold pass atm hence why he's straight back in the side
Coaches say that about every player in the club's top 30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back