Rioli granted compassionate leave - AND HE'S BACK!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who missed it in Axeman's training thread, no Cyril at training this morning...

images

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

If he was back today is there a chance he was primarily doing indoor work as he would need to be doing skinfolds etc and likely be doing other tests that would require running on treadmills to see where his fitness is at against where it should be etc?

As you can likely tell I have zero clue about professional training regimens - so this is a genuine wondering.

If he was back today is there a chance he was primarily doing indoor work as he would need to be doing skinfolds etc and likely be doing other tests that would require running on treadmills to see where his fitness is at against where it should be etc?

As you can likely tell I have zero clue about professional training regimens - so this is a genuine wondering.
That’s a reasonable assumption however it’s far more likely that if he was back today, his every step would have been posted on the Hawks website long ago.

Last edited:
That’s a reasonable assumption however it’s far more likely that if he was back today, his every step would have been posted on the Hawks website long ago.

You would think so - however the IG account has been inactive since January 1 so there is every chance that the social media teams are down to their bare bones over the festive break period.

If Cyril wants to walk away from footy because of family I understand, but then he needs to forfeit the contract because we simply need that 700k to use on a quality player in 2019. I'm really hoping his old man is ok and it doesn't come to that though.

If Cyril wants to walk away from footy because of family I understand, but then he needs to forfeit the contract because we simply need that 700k to use on a quality player in 2019. I'm really hoping his old man is ok and it doesn't come to that though.
Getting way ahead of things there. There’s no reason yet to think he won’t be back at some point soon. Talk of what to do with his contract is way premature.

It may well be time that Cyril moves on. We got four premierships out of him, is there really much left in his tank to give to the club?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he's only 28 and played 185 games so with all things being equal you'd like to think so.
He's been playing for ten years now. That has an effect. And he's lost all his mates - I think only Roughie and Birch are still there from when he joined the club.

Can I say, I'm not having a crack at him, and certainly not saying he's done - but within the wider context, if he did finish up, Hawks fans can't feel too aggrieved.

Think people need to chill on the ‘he may never play again’ stuff. He’s had family issues, so was granted compassionate leave. He said he’s ready to go in his video a few weeks back so I take him at face value.
As it stands there are 11 weeks until round 1, so unless he’s completely lost all fitness, which I doubt, he’s still every chance to play against Collingwood.
I suspect we’ll see him in our final JLT game.

He's been playing for ten years now. That has an effect. And he's lost all his mates - I think only Roughie and Birch are still there from when he joined the club.

Can I say, I'm not having a crack at him, and certainly not saying he's done - but within the wider context, if he did finish up, Hawks fans can't feel too aggrieved.

Never been involved with a footy club?People come and go but you always have mates at the club

Cyril is my all-time favourite sportsman. I still haven't given up hope that he will start round 1. Why? Because, he isn't a rookie, but a veteran with a 10 year fitness base. Also, he was a star in his very first year, so he doesn't need to build up his body over a long period before attaining match fitness. He has also returned from injuries which prevent running and come back looking fresh from his first game back.

For all those who have been visiting this thread in hopes of Cyril news, here is something to remind us all of the great man and why he means so much to us Hawthorn supporters:

The young man has more not included in a half-hour highlights reel than most teams manage in a decade.

Never been involved with a footy club?People come and go but you always have mates at the club

Yeah mate, I've been involved in football clubs all my life. And given the big turnover that the club has recently had, and noting the type of family person Cyril is, like I said, it might not be the same for him.

Any other insightful questions?

The AFL website even went to the trouble of putting up an article about Cyril not being at training. But it doesn’t seem like much effort was put in to finding out if he was actually there and just not out on the field with the main group.

Is all of this drama based on Axe and I saying he wasn't spotted at training?

He could have been inside.....even if he wasn't there, its January 5th....calm down guys
Inside? Serious? That’s gold. Do you reckon Cyril could go within a thousand Ks of Mulgrave without it being reported? How about we not calm down? How about we throw all the toys out? I find it easier to be overly pessimistic and be pleasantly surprised than the opposite.

So best case scenario now is Cyril arrives late but has reduced output this year due to having halfa pre season, worst case is the club has known for weeks he’s not coming back but has kept it quiet to save a couple of million in memberships. The truth is out there.

When Wayne Carey came out and said Cyril was done with AFL and wanted to get back to the Tiwi he was shouted down and Clarkos response was very interesting/aggresive when you think about it.

Cyril’s interview a few weeks back didn’t do much for me at all. It was a concocted social media peace to keep people calm.

Cyril’s output like a lot of his senior teamates early last season was extremely poor and lacked energy and effort.

Cyril is on a lot of money to play footy. We have managed him over the course of his career through large injury lay offs, mid year spells back to the Tiwi etc etc and essentially he has now had 8 months without playing footy on big coin.

Hawks have there hands tied here. It’s too late to try and trade him or release him from his contract and we are duty bound to try and support him as much as possible.

At some stage very soon this will all come to a head. I hope he is back on deck next week with the club and is fresh and ready to start doing the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back