Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

As it currently stands is the current rising star nomination process ensure that all the young kids who should be nominated are?

As it stands so far this season there are a number of players who have put together fantastic showings but due to the fact that players only get nominated during the week they have a standout game they can be overlooked because that standout game is overlooked because they happen to perform well the same week another player has

Some of the names that have not been nominated yet that have all had a number of standout games include Higgins, Naughton, Guelfi, Graham, Banfield and that’s just off the top of my head I’m sure there are quite a few more that are more than deserving of a nomination

Combined with the fact that we have no idea of the criteria that the nominees are assessed on it’s just not a good system that I don’t think gives all the best young players the recognition they deserve

Combined with the fact that we have no idea of the criteria that the nominees are assessed on it’s just not a good system that I don’t think gives all the best young players the recognition they deserve

When you find out, let the rest of us know as its been a big mystery since its inception.

As it currently stands is the current rising star nomination process ensure that all the young kids who should be nominated are?

As it stands so far this season there are a number of players who have put together fantastic showings but due to the fact that players only get nominated during the week they have a standout game they can be overlooked because that standout game is overlooked because they happen to perform well the same week another player has

Some of the names that have not been nominated yet that have all had a number of standout games include Higgins, Naughton, Guelfi, Graham, Banfield and that’s just off the top of my head I’m sure there are quite a few more that are more than deserving of a nomination

Sam Taylor was a great choice though.

Sam Taylor was a great choice though.

Not saying he wasn’t just thinking about the system as a whole nomination system as a whole how it’ tends to recognise flash in the pan performances

Some of the players are nominated for playing and blinder witch is fantastic but than go to only play 5 games for the season but than you have a player who puts together a 15 - 20 game season without any standout games per say wouldn’t get nominated at all but in terms of who should be nominated as a “rising star” of the competition one could argue that the more consistent player should be celebrated more

Not saying he wasn’t just thinking about the system as a whole nomination system as a whole how it’ tends to recognise flash in the pan performances

Some of the players are nominated for playing and blinder witch is fantastic but than go to only play 5 games for the season but than you have a player who puts together a 15 - 20 game season without any standout games per say wouldn’t get nominated at all but in terms of who should be nominated as a “rising star” of the competition one could argue that the more consistent player should be celebrated more
If you are going to do that then you have to take into account the club he plays for and the clubs situation.

I mean back in 2012 we had a ton of kids playing for long periods through lack of choice.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sam Taylor wasn’t a flash in the pan game - he’s been putting those types of performances in since debut. His nomination is actually (arguably) overdue.

Just because he doesn’t play in Victoria and you don’t see him every week, doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve it.

Sam Taylor wasn’t a flash in the pan game - he’s been putting those types of performances in since debut. His nomination is actually (arguably) overdue.

Just because he doesn’t play in Victoria and you don’t see him every week, doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve it.

Did you even read the first line that you quoted?

Did you even read the first line that you quoted?

I did.

Why weren’t you complaining about the nomination process eight weeks ago? At the start of the season? Last year? The year before? Why has it come up the same week a kid you’ve probably never heard of, who owned your forwards on the weekend receives it?

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Why not just congratulate him - like pretty much every other rising star gets a thread congratulating them when they get nominated.

Oh look - Sam Taylor got a nomination. The nomination process is broken.

Pretty pathetic attitude if you ask me.

I did.

Why weren’t you complaining about the nomination process eight weeks ago? At the start of the season? Last year? The year before? Why has it come up the same week a kid you’ve probably never heard of, who owned your forwards on the weekend receives it?

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Why not just congratulate him - like pretty much every other rising star gets a thread congratulating them when they get nominated.

Oh look - Sam Taylor got a nomination. The nomination process is broken.

Pretty pathetic attitude if you ask me.

Alright mate.

I didn’t even mention him in my opening post. I’m not saying any of the players that have been nominated this year haven’t deserved it

Just don’t think the system accurately gives all the players who should get nominated a fair chance to get nominated

Alright mate.

I didn’t even mention him in my opening post. I’m not saying any of the players that have been nominated this year haven’t deserved it

Just don’t think the system accurately gives all the players who should get nominated a fair chance to get nominated

No you didn’t mention him in your opening post. Your opening post just happened to come just after his name was posted by the AFL - right about the time a thread would usually appear on the main board congratulating that week’s nominee.

No need to mention him at all.

We all knew exactly who you were talking about.

It was an unnecessary cheap shot

No you didn’t mention him in your opening post. Your opening post just happened to come just after his name was posted by the AFL - right about the time a thread would usually appear on the main board congratulating that week’s nominee.

No need to mention him at all.

We all knew exactly who you were talking about.

It was an unnecessary cheap shot

Think you need to relax a little bit mate,

I saw he was nominated and looked at the comments like I do every week noticed people bring up players names like every week

Than realised there were quite a few players that had had great seasons that were mentioned witch got me thinking how there aren’t a huge amount of rounds left witch would mean there would be quality players missing out on a nomition

I was only thinking about the system as a whole not any particular example of players getting nominated

As to why you think I have anything against who was nominated this week I have no idea.

I only posted it to generate discussion about the whole nomination process but if you want to go on thinking I have some weird personal vendetta against a player I have no real opinion over either way all the power to you but if you don’t have anything constructive to add to the conversation about the nab rising star nomination process please take your Ill guided ideas about cheap shots and conspiracy theory’s elsewhere

People like you are the reason people avoid the main board because of engaging in a discussion to resort to turning into some kind of pissing contest with no relevance

I saw he was nominated ...
Than realised there were quite a few players that had had great seasons ... witch would mean there would be quality players missing out on a nomition

Thanks for clearing up your thought process.

Saw he was nominated, thought there were heaps of other players who haven’t /won’t be nominated but deserve a nomination.

Start a thread saying the process is broken.

Yep. Nothing whatsoever to do with Sam’s nomination at all.

Carry on.

As to your “wider” point - what are you going to do? One nomination per week means deserving players will miss out - they do every year. But then again, when it comes to the voting a lot of the nominees don’t get any anyway because there is always only a handful of absolute stand-outs that share all the votes between them anyway.

So not only do deserving players miss out - so do nominees. I harbour no illusions that Sam will win it, I doubt he’ll attract any votes (defenders tend not to) he won’t be alone though.

But as I said, with only one nomination each week (however you decide to determine the nominee), somebody deserving will miss out - simple arithmetic my friend. And there’s not a lot you can do about maths.

Even if at the end of the season they are allowed to nominate, say, five more, under the “they deserved it bus we couldn’t fit them in” rule - there’d still be more that miss out. And those 5 wouldn’t get any votes in the wash-up anyway because history shows, the top ones get nominated early.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems obvious to me why the thread was made. OP gets called out on it and cracks the sads. Just watch more footy and things will seem a lot clearer. It's an 18 team comp.

Like I mentioned before this has nothing to do with who was nominated this week just a comment on the current rising star system that has been questioned for a long time now

If I had an issue of who was nominated this week I would of named and questioned the player. I only mentioned players who hadn’t been nominated yet but all who have had great games that could of been nominated but have been overlooked for whatever reason and it would be a shame not for them not to be recognised

I’m not even sure why you think I would have any reason to be against Sam being nominated the only tigers players from this week that were elegeable were Higgins, Moore and Bolton and none were deserving this week

But if you want to go on thinking otherwise go ahead

Thanks for clearing up your thought process.

Saw he was nominated, thought there were heaps of other players who haven’t /won’t be nominated but deserve a nomination.

Start a thread saying the process is broken.

Yep. Nothing whatsoever to do with Sam’s nomination at all.

Carry on.

As to your “wider” point - what are you going to do? One nomination per week means deserving players will miss out - they do every year. But then again, when it comes to the voting a lot of the nominees don’t get any anyway because there is always only a handful of absolute stand-outs that share all the votes between them anyway.

So not only do deserving players miss out - so do nominees. I harbour no illusions that Sam will win it, I doubt he’ll attract any votes (defenders tend not to) he won’t be alone though.

But as I said, with only one nomination each week (however you decide to determine the nominee), somebody deserving will miss out - simple arithmetic my friend. And there’s not a lot you can do about maths.

Even if at the end of the season they are allowed to nominate, say, five more, under the “they deserved it bus we couldn’t fit them in” rule - there’d still be more that miss out. And those 5 wouldn’t get any votes in the wash-up anyway because history shows, the top ones get nominated early.

I was thinking possibly an all Australian squad and team like set up over the current system where maybe two players nominated each week for the squad and a 22 selected at the end of the year

With one player from the 22 getting the main rising star award

I also wouldn’t mind the age limit changed to maybe 22 And push the game limit to say 15 games so that mutre age rookies or draftees like Tim kelly who is inellagevble this year due to his age and key position players or ruckman who historically take a little bit longer to develop get a bigger window to be nominated but make it so if a player is nominated one year they can’t be the next

Last edited:
I was thinking possibly an all Australian squad and team like set up over the current system where maybe two players nominated each week for the squad and a 22 selected at the end of the year

With one player from the 22 getting the main rising star award

I also wouldn’t mind the age limit changed to maybe 22 And push the game limit to say 15 games so that mutre age rookies or draftees like Tim kelly who is inellagevble this year due to his age and key position players or ruckman who historically take a little bit longer to develop get a bigger window to be nominated but make it so if a player is nominated one year they can’t be the next

Ok, first of all there is a best 22 under 22 so that’s kind of like the all Australian you want. And usually, the guy who wins the rising star is named among them. Also, the AFLPA award goes to the best first year player so mature age recruits like Kelly can win them (Michael Barlow won one iirc) Then I’m sure you have all sorts of other awards like newspaper and other media awards that reward young players - except that it usually goes to the same couple of players because no matter how many you nominate, there’s always only a handful of utter standouts.

Any way - an all-Australian style squad is only 22 so you’re going to have people miss out exactly the same way as you do now (more in fact) and second - there’s only room for one ruckman in such a team. Naming a team requires positional limitations - which would further squeeze worthy/deserving players out.

And nominated one year and not eligible the next?
Yep, that’s going to work for the young kid who gets called up in round 20 or 21 because the season’s pretty much over for the team and players are being sent early for surgery, and shows enough of a hint to get a nomination - but who blossoms at the age of 19 the next year into a genuine superstar.

The rising star is one award - with its own criteria and status.

The AFLPA Best First Year Player is only one award with with its own criteria and status.

The Brownlow is only one award with its own criteria and status.

The Leigh Matthews is only one award with its own criteria and status

The Herald Sun Player of the Year award is only one with its own criteria and status

You see where I’m going with this....

It is what it is.

They’ll tinker with it a bit, they have in the past, I’m sure they will in the future, but it’s not the be-all and end-all of recognising young players - so it doesn’t have to be everything to everyone.

The last few rounds (meaning rounds 20 onwards) always cater for the types you have listed- rewards season long performances. Does it matter though, it is just an award!

It's pretty hard to take the award too seriously when they make ineligible any player who has been suspended. As if it's not ridiculous enough that you can't win a Brownlow due to suspension, let alone a Rising Star.

Is being nominated a big thing though? I understand it’s a sort of recognition but I doubt it has any effect on players. Winning one sure but if a player can’t even get nominated I doubt they give a stuff.

why not make it a 5-4-3-2-1 per week voting system that tallies at the end, similar to the brownlow. that way a player who is the 3rd-4th best player for 20 weeks can beat out a guy who is the standout best a handful of times and rubbish a few other times.
Because that would require the judges to actually watch games each week so they can award votes, rather than just tune in towards the end of the season, pick up on the media vibe, award their main votes like sheep, according to that vibe and then throw their one and two votes at a player they’ve developed a bit of a soft spot for (either because they once watched one of his games, or because he plays for the team they support).

22 rounds, 70-something players getting drafted each year. Can't really help that.

If a kid is good enough, they will get nominated.

I understand the point about stand-out games getting the nod but surely the winner of the award would have a few of those at least?

Can't think of a player who wasn't nominated who should have won it in recent memory.

You mean to tell me that the AFL has an internal program that is slightly confusing, based on no apparent system, doesn't utalise the concept of precedent and produces unpopular, if not bewildering outcomes? Well I never.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back