Preview RND 15 - Carlton vs Adelaide (Crom) - Sunday June 27th 4:10pm (EST) @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #762

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand people wanting to replace the likes of Newman, but my thoughts are more to do with why he was given the task on Greene, which I believe is a poor matchup strategy

If people are still adamant with replacing Newman, perhaps ask, who was on Finlayson

The likes of Newman and or Doc should be used as that +1 one intercept player, rather than Williams or Williamson as we did earlier in the year

Will share more on where I think Teague, coaches and players are at, later, but this gameplan/style currently being adopted and how it's evolved is fraudulent and selfish.

We had only 3 less entries, scored similar in % of shots, (1 less shot), yet never looked like winning. These numbers aren't the reason, but they justify the vision

It's like under 12's footy, kick long into the 50, rather than sharing with teammates in a better position, try the impossible shot from the boundary, rather than hitting a player in a better position
9.12 V 16.6 doesn't help.

Also think there's a big lack of confidence which comes out in goal accuracy and things like fog trying to pass it off to someone else 20 metres out...

I think that's part of the selfish brand, which might sound strange

It's still comes back to taking ownership, being of the mindset of what is best for the team.

On the run, from the boundary, be prepared to take a hit as you are looking for a better option inside.

Same goes for when you are that better option for the team, don't give it off and relinquish responsibility

I think that's part of the selfish brand, which might sound strange

It's still comes back to taking ownership, being of the mindset of what is best for the team.

On the run, from the boundary, be prepared to take a hit as you are looking for a better option inside.

Same goes for when you are that better option for the team, don't give it off and relinquish responsibility

You might be onto something there.

The number of low % passes we try inside 50 when the goals are on offer from 45-50 out is astounding. Yesterday it made me question whether our players can kick 45 metres, which is ridiculous.

They just don't want the responsibility and the risk of missing which suggests players in self preservation mode.

You might be onto something there.

The number of low % passes we try inside 50 when the goals are on offer from 45-50 out is astounding. Yesterday it made me question whether our players can kick 45 metres, which is ridiculous.

They just don't want the responsibility and the risk of missing which suggests players in self preservation mode.

I don't mind if it's finding a better option, whether it's back, forward or sideways into the corridor, but not when, as a player knowing you has the least amount of pressure coming your way.

But this is us all over the ground.

Best way to overcome it, is promoting control/composure/tempo of the footy, which allows players to setup up better behind and in front of play

I'm trying to be calm and practical about changes. At this point, it is just shifting deck chairs on the Titanic. Not because we don't have talented players. We absolutely do, but until there is a whole of team/club philosophy again, and not just saying the words, we are doomed for failure.

The ruck issue as I see it is, TDK is not ready to be number 1 ruck. Reilly O'Brien will slaughter whoever our ruckman is. It's hard to talk about dropping Pittonet, when he does bust a gut trying for teammates who don't do the same. He is tractor lite ... one of those converted school caretaker ride on mower tractors. You can't drop him over effort. If you drop him over skill, then you might as well drop 15 others. Pitto gets more ball, takes more marks and makes more tackles than TDK at this stage. TDK needs to find some aggression.

Casboult got some of his touch back in the VFL, although he gave away frees and did some typical Levi things. He has to come back in for one simple reason ... he understands how to play forward and take pressure off McKay. I don't think the MC thinks Pitto deserves to be dropped, and I think they'll be too scared to drop TDK given the fan push to keep playing kids. Worst case scenario ... they try to play all 3 again. Despite all of the above, I'd still give TDK at shot at No 1.

Ramsay keeps making the emergencies. Give him a run this time. Give Honey a run too. Not sure if Eddie wants to play against his old club, but he could do with a rest. He's had a good period but is showing some signs of tiredness of late. I think Ramsay went with the team to play if Saad didn't come up. We wouldn't have made him sub for his debut.

In: Plowman, Casboult, Ramsay, Honey

Out: Parks (inj), Betts (managed), Pittonet (rested/omitted), Martin (omitted)

Backs
Plowman Weitering Williams
Newman Jones Saad

Midfield
Walsh Kennedy Dow
De Koning Cripps Stocker

Forwards
Honey Casboult Owies
Fisher McKay Silvagni

Interchange
Curnow Docherty Ramsay Fogarty

Medical Sub
Murphy

I'm trying to be calm and practical about changes. At this point, it is just shifting deck chairs on the Titanic. Not because we don't have talented players. We absolutely do, but until there is a whole of team/club philosophy again, and not just saying the words, we are doomed for failure.

The ruck issue as I see it is, TDK is not ready to be number 1 ruck. Reilly O'Brien will slaughter whoever our ruckman is. It's hard to talk about dropping Pittonet, when he does bust a gut trying for teammates who don't do the same. He is tractor lite ... one of those converted school caretaker ride on mower tractors. You can't drop him over effort. If you drop him over skill, then you might as well drop 15 others. Pitto gets more ball, takes more marks and makes more tackles than TDK at this stage. TDK needs to find some aggression.

Casboult got some of his touch back in the VFL, although he gave away frees and did some typical Levi things. He has to come back in for one simple reason ... he understands how to play forward and take pressure off McKay. I don't think the MC thinks Pitto deserves to be dropped, and I think they'll be too scared to drop TDK given the fan push to keep playing kids. Worst case scenario ... they try to play all 3 again. Despite all of the above, I'd still give TDK at shot at No 1.

Ramsay keeps making the emergencies. Give him a run this time. Give Honey a run too. Not sure if Eddie wants to play against his old club, but he could do with a rest. He's had a good period but is showing some signs of tiredness of late. I think Ramsay went with the team to play if Saad didn't come up. We wouldn't have made him sub for his debut.

In: Plowman, Casboult, Ramsay, Honey

Out: Parks (inj), Betts (managed), Pittonet (rested/omitted), Martin (omitted)

Backs
Plowman Weitering Williams
Newman Jones Saad

Midfield
Walsh Kennedy Dow
De Koning Cripps Stocker

Forwards
Honey Casboult Owies
Fisher McKay Silvagni

Interchange
Curnow Docherty Ramsay Fogarty

Medical Sub
Kemp
Kemp as a medical sub for his debut?! Just drop Newman and give Kemp that unaccountable role. He's better under the high ball already than Newman

Yes. Played less than anyone from either team.
Happens every time he plays.
Rarely gets possessions away from a centre bounce.
Disposal was at 54% but clearly that is all in traffic.
I just don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God I didn’t realise is was that bad. When you have 3 kicks to 10 handballs that’s a worry. He actually did give us a point of difference in the centre square that we really need it’s just the second it is out of a stoppage he looks totally lost that’s the problem

Kemp as a medical sub for his debut?! Just drop Newman and give Kemp that unaccountable role. He's better under the high ball already than Newman

s**t, you're right. I just talked about why Ramsay wasn't sub and I do it to Kemp. I was thinking versatility and forgot he had yet to debut.

Edit: I've given it to Murphy. Was better yesterday and was smarter with the areas he ran to. He won't butcher that last kick into 50. I don't trust him enough to bring him into the 22 but I'm happy to take the risk and get him to 296.

God I didn’t realise is was that bad. When you have 3 kicks to 10 handballs that’s a worry. He actually did give us a point of difference in the centre square that we really need it’s just the second it is out of a stoppage he looks totally lost that’s the problem

Exactly right. Can get the ball at stoppages and distribute from there well. Can't do a single thing anywhere else. Just a passenger outside of the square. Timid and scared outside of that zone. Is he wearing a shock collar?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Imagine if we'd just pushed harder to acquiring Hopper... or Finlayson... or both. We are such a ******* joke."
This.
We target second tier players (on first tier money) for positions that we don't really need.
Instead of targeting real stars.
If we would make an effort for real champions instead of second rate rookie draft players we might play like a proper team.

its not that we don’t target them, they just don’t want to come to Carlton. Until we can play consistent finals football and not be a graveyard for coaches and players - we aren’t getting elite talent nominating Carlton.

That's my point, our accuracy has been poor all year, it's not just about the capability of kicking, it's where you are kicking from
Also our opponents seem to have great accuracy against us consistently, and I dont necessarily think its based solely on quality of shots

I beg to differ.

Last week, WC's first 3 shots were like a training run and all 3 came from prime scoring positions
I was basing it off this. Shows that our opponents have the highest ratio of goals scored:shot quality.
1624168179587.png
Carlton are allowing the seventh-hardest shots on goal (47.6%), but teams are kicking with 51.1 per cent accuracy, the biggest gap in the league.

I was basing it off this. Shows that our opponents have the highest ratio of goals scored:shot quality.
View attachment 1159461
Carlton are allowing the seventh-hardest shots on goal (47.6%), but teams are kicking with 51.1 per cent accuracy, the biggest gap in the league.

Hence, taking shots from better positions.

Ultimately, it's not a great metric, as it doesn't assess the capabilities of each player, such as Levi or Darling compared to other players league wide

Levi has to come in, we have no one else that can play forward/ruck. Prefer Pittonet out.

SPS in too, play him in the midfield.

Honey as well, he’s a bit of a bull with speed and X factor that we desperately need.

In the coming weeks would like to see Jack Carroll (he’s got it) and Kemp in.

Would then love to see Charlie and GOV in for the last 3 - 4 weeks of the year and see how we go with the big 3 in the forward line.

I like how it takes certain players being dropped/injured/suspended to realise the alternatives are much worse.

Not saying you are in this category, but the amount of clamouring for Casboult, Plowman etc to be dropped, well we’ve seen what else we have and it isn’t much.

People demanding Dow a go in the midfield? Sure, lucky to get 15 touches with a full game there, Ed goes to a role where he has no impact.

Hence, taking shots from better positions.

Ultimately, it's not a great metric, as it doesn't assess the capabilities of each player, such as Levi or Darling compared to other players league wide
No its saying opposite because Carlton are allowing the 7th hardest shots.

Kennedy played well, when that happens is usually dropped

Kennedy definitely stays, neither Dow or Setters have got 27 touches ever. He is one of 4 mids on our entire list who is capable of getting 25+.

If we want to give someone else a go in the middle, Stocker would be the one, hard at it in the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back