Preview RND 15 - Carlton vs Adelaide (Crom) - Sunday June 27th 4:10pm (EST) @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #762

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dow gets no ball on the outside.

Dow gets no ball on the outside.

b9082293f6b1696a691765db61017e60.jpg

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So changes id make

Out: Parks (inj), Martin

In: Plow, SPS

On notice if they don’t lift this week:

Docherty (horrendous disposal and fumbly)
Ed Curnow (needs to find a way to impact when not playing mid)
Fogarty ( needs to find a way to impact)
Dow (can’t have full time mids being timid getting 13 touches)

We have so many guys that unless they are full time mids have no way to get involved. I do wonder if that’s due to a lack of team ethos and defined roles for players.

I think the pending review has put everyone into self preservation mode too.

Why does Dow play the least minutes?
Played 63%
Fitness or because he cannot impact the game unless it’s at a centre bounce?
Chicken/Egg
Either way it’s pointless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Without knowing I'd suggest it's fitness. Just about every game he's in the low 70s at best.

I'd like a new team rule to be implemented. If you get the ball inside 50 with space and a reasonable angle take the shot for goal.

We give 1 or 2 too many handballs that kills the play inside 50 more than any other team, no one wants the responsibility

Last edited:
Changes:
Plowman for Parks
Honey for Betts
Caroll for Curnow (was unsighted yesterday)
SPS for Martin (no confidence in his body, and his calves are strapped up like a mummy - needs to get his body right)

Need to sort out the entry into forward 50 and our leading and craft near goal.

Exactly right. Can get the ball at stoppages and distribute from there well. Can't do a single thing anywhere else. Just a passenger outside of the square. Timid and scared outside of that zone. Is he wearing a shock collar?

For the drafting wonks, was he like this as a junior?

4 pre seasons and 63% TOG, hard to get your head around this

Don't care who we drop, who we bring in, how we play, or the end result. Why bother? It's a fruitless exercise.
Think I'll skip next week's game and save myself some angst.

I'm trying to be calm and practical about changes. At this point, it is just shifting deck chairs on the Titanic. Not because we don't have talented players. We absolutely do, but until there is a whole of team/club philosophy again, and not just saying the words, we are doomed for failure.

The ruck issue as I see it is, TDK is not ready to be number 1 ruck. Reilly O'Brien will slaughter whoever our ruckman is. It's hard to talk about dropping Pittonet, when he does bust a gut trying for teammates who don't do the same. He is tractor lite ... one of those converted school caretaker ride on mower tractors. You can't drop him over effort. If you drop him over skill, then you might as well drop 15 others. Pitto gets more ball, takes more marks and makes more tackles than TDK at this stage. TDK needs to find some aggression.

Casboult got some of his touch back in the VFL, although he gave away frees and did some typical Levi things. He has to come back in for one simple reason ... he understands how to play forward and take pressure off McKay. I don't think the MC thinks Pitto deserves to be dropped, and I think they'll be too scared to drop TDK given the fan push to keep playing kids. Worst case scenario ... they try to play all 3 again. Despite all of the above, I'd still give TDK at shot at No 1.

Ramsay keeps making the emergencies. Give him a run this time. Give Honey a run too. Not sure if Eddie wants to play against his old club, but he could do with a rest. He's had a good period but is showing some signs of tiredness of late. I think Ramsay went with the team to play if Saad didn't come up. We wouldn't have made him sub for his debut.

In: Plowman, Casboult, Ramsay, Honey

Out: Parks (inj), Betts (managed), Pittonet (rested/omitted), Martin (omitted)

Backs
Plowman Weitering Williams
Newman Jones Saad

Midfield
Walsh Kennedy Dow
De Koning Cripps Stocker

Forwards
Honey Casboult Owies
Fisher McKay Silvagni

Interchange
Curnow Docherty Ramsay Fogarty

Medical Sub
Murphy

Cas is a good down the line also. Missed that yesterday. He looked good in the reserves.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't really care about footy too much at the moment, in saying that all I want is no injuries and effort. The result is usually known in the first 5 minutes. Here's hoping Charlie can return and bring some joy back in the next month or so.

At this point we gain next to nothing by winning. Play the kids, experiment...

Play, lob, sps, kemp, carroll, honey, ramsay, durdin... give them a chance. Yes, we will lose but they learn. Better than serving up that pea hearted tripe we saw yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the drafting wonks, was he like this as a junior?

4 pre seasons and 63% TOG, hard to get your head around this

Knighmare had him Pick 1 just prior to the 2017 draft with this ESPN writeup:

Complete midfielder who thrives on the hard, contested side of the game. Moves well and possesses clean skills.

On BigFooty he listed the strengths and weaknesses:

Strengths:
First-possession winner at stoppages
Contested ball-winner
Wins clearances
Burst out of stoppages at speed
Acceleration
Desperation
Tackling
Clean skills
Lowers eyes
Composure in traffic
Evasiveness
Scoreboard impact
Weaknesses:
At stoppages can be prone to bombing long for territory rather than taking his time to consider his options

Cal Twomey said

There really isn't much that Dow doesn't do well. He is a competitive midfielder with a real burst of speed that allows him to accelerate out of trouble and find space. The Vic Country prospect rose quickly across the season to be one of the genuine standout players, showing he can win the ball, use it on the outside well and also push forward and kick goals, which he loves to do (and does regularly). He's tough and doesn't mind the hustle and bustle, but also is clean and poised. Dow is also very consistent: you can rely on him to play well every time he steps out on the field.

Matt Balmer:

Speedy inside midfielder who can push forward and hit the scoreboard. Right footed midfielder who was superb for the AFL Academy in their game against the Northern Blues – not looking out of place at the centre bounces early in the year. Runs a sub three second 20m sprint and has very good agility. Not afraid to take on opposition midfielders in the contest, attempting to speed out of the stoppages.

This isn't what we are seeing from Dow except for the burst from stoppages. What has gone wrong?

Getting tough to keep hoping this club will sort itself out.

And I mean the club, not just the list and the coaches. There’s something fundamentally broken in this organisation.

Don’t know what it is but they should be embarrassed to ask for members to sign up again till it’s fixed.

As for this week, just do better.

Knighmare had him Pick 1 just prior to the 2017 draft with this ESPN writeup:

On BigFooty he listed the strengths and weaknesses:

Cal Twomey said

Matt Balmer:

This isn't what we are seeing from Dow except for the burst from stoppages. What has gone wrong?
This is an epic development issue, isn’t it. Just gotta keep playing him I guess and hope he becomes our Parish

I don't mind if it's finding a better option, whether it's back, forward or sideways into the corridor, but not when, as a player knowing you has the least amount of pressure coming your way.

But this is us all over the ground.

Best way to overcome it, is promoting control/composure/tempo of the footy, which allows players to setup up better behind and in front of play

The bit which doesn't make sense is when the degree of difficulty of the pass is higher than the degree of difficulty of the shot for goal - which happens a lot for our group.

When you're 45 out on a 45 degree angle, a kick to a player directly in front makes little sense if your kick has to be absolutely dead-eye to not get intercepted. Just go for the **** goal.

The bit which doesn't make sense is when the degree of difficulty of the pass is higher than the degree of difficulty of the shot for goal - which happens a lot for our group.

When you're 45 out on a 45 degree angle, a kick to a player directly in front makes little sense if your kick has to be absolutely dead-eye to not get intercepted. Just go for the **** goal.

Yeap, spot on

Alright.

This is the game that will determine whether we continue with Teague, or if he's dead in the water. Last night can be put down to a change in approach and coming off the bye against a team on a ground we don't do well at; excuses, I know, but I'm looking squarely at the coach here. While he should have an answer for these things, they are what they are and it's now yesterday's news. Teague is in direr straights than he was before, and he's now coaching for his career if he wasn't before.

So, we're against resurgent Adelaide. It's at Marvel, so there's that for us; Adelaide's home ground advantage, while it does come out in the umpiring, more comes out in terms of ridiculous ******* accuracy at goal, so expect them to miss a few they'd otherwise kick. It's more reversion to the norm over missing gettable shots, though. Walker's in decent form, so we're looking at him. They've got some pretty ball handlers in Sholl and Laird, so try to keep it away from them. They're pretty young, so they can get bullied; let them settle, and they'll carve you to pieces. They've a bit of mongrel, too, but it's not in your face.

If we win this, it's because the key players through the middle - Cripps, Pittonett, Walsh - get going. O'Brian for them is a thumping good B+ tier ruckman; he's no Gawn, but he's a trier and is better than Mumford. How we go will pretty much hinge on Pitto, and how he goes. If Cripps and Walsh have decent games, we'll be pretty good; it'd be nice if both of them can rediscover their kicking to a target inside 50, though.

I don't expect to win this, but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
This is an epic development issue, isn’t it. Just gotta keep playing him I guess and hope he becomes our Parish

Great comparison - Darcy is the player that still gives me hope for Paddy.

I think he was playing in the reserves as late as last year (his 5th year) and almost looked like a bust at one stage, now he's freakin' killing it.

From the outside, it does seem to have taken a change in coach for him to look like a different player though, so there is that.

Ultimately I think we have a lot of players that this game plan is underselling. Just look at Williams output GWS vs Carlton.

In: Plowman, Williamson, O'Brien, SPS
Out: Parks, E.Curnow, Fogarty, Pittonet

B: Plowman---------------Jones-----------------Newman

H: Docherty--------------Weitering----------------Saad

C: Williams----------------Cripps------------------O'Brien

H: SPS--------------------Silvagni-----------------Martin

F: Betts--------------------McKay------------------Owies

Foll: De Koning, Kennedy, Walsh

Bench: Williamson, Stocker (mid), Dow, Fisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad