No Oppo Supporters RND 24: Thank * It’s Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Trolls will not be tolerated

Looney Tunes Explosion GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

Strength and conditioning plus an elite sports psychology program please

We think we've lost before we do. It really doesn't help.
Last night was inevitable. I gave up solid tickets so my niece could enjoy the pies training drill.
I cancelled plans to go to gws with my mate ($$ for the weekend just werent worth)
Walked out of the last qtr of the eagles game to catch the start of a real game (hawks v pies)
And didnt even bother with the roos game for my nieces bday party. The bbq and cake much more appetising than the "win"

We've been a mentally fragile club for a long, long time now.

Players that are happy to be playing AFL . Not players who want to go the extra mile to win a GF . 🙂

When you are showered with money and praise even when doing poorly what motivator is there to try anything different as an 18-22 year old.
I totally get it.
You aren't getting embarrassed in the media because your a mediocre side not a basket case.

If we were a good club with good leaders we would correct it.
We are not and we don't have them.

The amazing thing is, if we do finish above the Cats it will be the first time in exactly 20 years we have finished higher than them

How is it possible with a salary cap for one club to finish ahead of another for 20 bloody years? It takes a special kind of incompetence.

I did a calculation and, presuming it is 50/50 each year, the chances of one club finishing above another for 20 consecutive years is 1 in 1,048,576

We literally achieved a one in a million. Well done Essendon.
That is a very solid post.

For those wondering, the chances of not winning a final for 20 straight years is 0.079% or 1 in about 1350.

An average of 5 teams win a final every year (5 of 18, or 5 out of 16 some years), so it's basically the chance of being part of that other 70% that don't win a final every year and always being in that 70% twenty straight times.

It's important to crystallize these numbers and give it some mathematical context so fans understand it. Why? Because when people say we havn't won a final in 20 years, it initially "feels" like a normal drought that clubs go through occasionally. The human brain doesn't really understand big numbers, and the incredible unlikeliness of this occurring until you sit down to work it out. It should be embarrassing for those at the club to see those numbers.

When you do see the probability there for real on paper, it puts it into perspective far more in my opinion. This is not normal in an equalized competition. It's just not normal. Something is wrong.

Last edited:
It is the nature of the losses hard to take.

Geel, GWS & Pies virtually won the games in a 20 minute burst in first quarters. Pies clearly cruised after that, GWS were able to rest Toby for the second half and still murdered us.

Don't let the remaining quarters post quarter time flatter us. Games were well over by then.

It is our form when the heat is on that is the real eye opener. Yeah, we have injuries to key players and the kids are off the pace, but our so called senior players do not stand up at all.

I couldn't care less that Merrett had plenty of touches after quarter time the last 2 weeks when the game was over, it is when the heat is on he is nowhere to be seen and that includes Parish & co too.

For those wondering, the chances of not winning a final for 20 straight years is 0.079% or 1 in about 1350.

An average of 5 teams win a final every year (5 of 18, or 5 out of 16 some years), so it's basically the chance of being part of that other 70% that don't win a final every year and always being in that 70% twenty straight times,

It's important to crystallize these numbers and give it so mathematical context so fans understand it. Why? Because when people say we havn't won a final in 20 years, it initially "feels" like a normal drought that clubs go through occasionally. The human brain doesn't really understand big numbers, and the incredible unlikeliness of this occurring until you sit down to work it out. It should be embarrassing for those at the club to see those numbers.

When you do see the probability there for real on paper, it puts it into perspective far more in my opinion. This is not normal in an equalized competition. It's just not normal. Something is wrong.
I think it's fair to say on many a level we've been the worst operated club this century.

It was neck and neck there with Carlton for a bit, but Voss and Cook seem to have them on track

An average of 5 teams win a final every year (5 of 18, or 5 out of 16 some years), so it's basically the chance of being part of that other 70% that don't win a final every year and always being in that 70% twenty straight times.

It's important to crystallize these numbers and give it some mathematical context so fans understand it. Why? Because when people say we havn't won a final in 20 years, it initially "feels" like a normal drought that clubs go through occasionally. The human brain doesn't really understand big numbers, and the incredible unlikeliness of this occurring until you sit down to work it out. It should be embarrassing for those at the club to see those numbers.

It's unlikely in a theoretically equal world, but how does it rate against the likelihood that a club would be around for 150 years and only win a wooden spoon like 3 times, or win 16 premierships, or have X hall of famers, Brownlow medallists, AAs etc?

We're probably an outlier in a lot of those areas I would think. And of course, the world isn't equal. There's been expansion and sagas and whatnot. It doesn't seem all that difficult to turn a 1/18 of a chance into a 1/1000 chance.

Competitive environment means it's easier to improve your chances of a negative result, naturally.

Collingwood 21 scoring shots
Essendon 18 scoring shots

lose by 79 points after another goal kicking master class from the opposition. It's gnarly how accurate our opponents always seem to be
Because our defence is so s**t that they get shots at goal from 20m out, if not the chance to run straight in and kick from point blank.

And to be fair to our back 6, the majority of the problem isn't even our defence. It's the midfield, as usual

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least we all find solace in this place every week to vent…you’d think if one player/official read all these threads they would find the same s**t being spoken about every week and they could actually fix it…or at least put our comments (minus the trolling) on the wall to fire themselves up…

We couldn’t all be wrong with our thoughts could we? This forum is a goldmine for insights lol

What’s the probability of entirely destroying the club through doping suspensions that have long term repercussions?

Because our defence is so s**t that they get shots at goal from 20m out, if not the chance to run straight in and kick from point blank.

And to be fair to our back 6, the majority of the problem isn't even our defence. It's the midfield, as usual

Some of it was also just one of those nights. Langford missed shots he’d usually nail, Phillips missed an easy one. Meanwhile Collingwood pulled a few out of their ass and basically converted every single somewhat challenging shot.

What’s the probability of entirely destroying the club through doping suspensions that have long term repercussions?
my hot nuffy take is that every club is on the gear except us, because we're worried we'll be obliterated again

my hot nuffy take is that every club is on the gear except us, because we're worried we'll be obliterated again

Well we know Dank and/or Robinson were involved at Geelong, Gold Coast and Melbourne. Apparently only EFC did anything dodgy though…

Collingwood 21 scoring shots
Essendon 18 scoring shots

lose by 79 points after another goal kicking master class from the opposition. It's gnarly how accurate our opponents always seem to be
It was a weird game in some ways. They blew us off the park for the first quarter and a half. We actually played well enough after that other than the skill errors that ****ed us .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back