Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Bulldogs & Changes for R10 vs Brisbane

Best on ground

• 1. N. Vlastuin

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • * Other

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers of old are back, specifically in this thread. I’m hoping it’s just the emotions of copping a flogging that is driving the pitchforks against Yze in round 9. This year is a complete write off, you can find peace in that. There’s no benefit to finishing high. We have been decimated with injuries and as a result have been unable to maintain any sense of consistency (pretty crucial to being able to learn and execute a new gameplan I would have thought).

It’s stocktaking time, and I’m sure a lot of the names being thrown into the pit of fire here are probably floating around inside clubland. Settle in and get comfy, we haven’t really even gotten started yet. Will be a few more of these on the horizon. But that’s the way it’s meant to go, it won’t be forever

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Balta must go down back, miller and young are a couple of pathetic defenders, worse than Luke Mcguane & Will Thursfield

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They are both role players and I don't think we can carry both (prefer Miller over Young for what it's worth). In the long run Gibcus, assuming he makes a full recovery and can actually stay on the park joins Balta down back. At the moment though we don't really have much choice in the matter.

Last edited:
How don’t they know how to tackle?

What are they doing in their training sessions?
Not training tackling most likely. There is a push to stop tackling at training because of concussion so I imagine our training of the skill is going to go down.

Also see NaturalDisaster's post. I do think that they umpires are now starting to condition our players into not bothering with the effort because we either get pinged for something or don't get rewarded.

Kane Cornes and Matthew Lloyd are 100% right. Who is Yze kidding when he said that he can’t fault the effort and intent? We’re pretty much the last supporter base you’d want to try that comment with after what we saw in 2017-2020. We’re not stupid and know when these players are not trying. The vision they showed in this video says enough about how much we actually tried.

As a new coach, you can’t say things like this. It’s a quick way to lose credibility because people will start thinking you’re delusional or too lenient on the players. We don’t have good on-field leadership, so no one is going to keep the players accountable if you don’t.

I didn’t watch his press conference last week, but apparently he said similar things about effort then too. Seriously needs to wake up and see things for what they are. These comments aren’t helping him at all.

unlike Cornes and Lloyd, Yze is not about to shit can his players to the media and give them more amo to destroy the tigers though the media. I'm sure that it would be a different story behind closed doors.

I don't see any reason that Kozi shouldn't be playing. We cannot score for the life of us, we have no one to kick too. Lefau isn't that guy, he's going to be a weapon as a mid sized tackling forward who can also get up the ground but having him one out is so s**t to watch and not even fair on him.
We need to play three tall forwards but to do that we would need to move Dusty out of the forward line

We're missing our starting midfield, best key forward, & our best key defender, while our second best key forward played his first game in over a month.
If you mean Gibcus, I think he may end up being our best key defender in a few years but he's nowhere near that yet.

Like it or not, our best key defender right now is Ben Miller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Cats have huge advantages that need to be considered
1. Kardinia Park being a weird as hell shape and basically a fortress ensures that they will win about 75% of those games. So they gave 9 games there and they should win 6 or 7 of those. That basically means they need to find at least another 6-7 wins somewhere to make finals.
2. Geelong has a unique offering to potential big recruits. Lifestyle choice is crazy. Want to live in the country with a short commute to training? Geelong is your team. Want a more metropolitan life? Geelong is only a quick drive from Melbourne.
3. The life style choices give Geelong the ability to consistently pitch to high quality players a good lifestyle in their later years of a career. That way they are able to blend their traded in talent with the youth who are good enough. Think about it, when was the last time a young Cats player was forced out and not getting a game left and was successful at another club?
4. Access to bargain priced hobby farm or coastal property that’s outside the salary cap

Gutted this morning.
Benny leaving,CFL ripping through our mighty club like hyenas to a carcass
I can never trust the CFL again.
Did you see the umpires walk together in a big group like a show of solidarity against us last night when we have the complete right to show the victim card not them.
Like watching an episode of Cops and the druggy offender blames everyone but himself.
I highly doubt Gale leaving has anything to do with the AFL. It was a given years ago way before Tasmania where Announced that if it happened, he would be their man.

Ridiculous of him to say that. Don't piss in our pockets.
100% , I know he’s a new coach needs time and club is decimated with injuries , but ffs don’t say that was good effort !! It was weak as piss effort , if you have a team of players who are khamakazi style pressure and effort we don’t lose by 92 points .

Before the game started I said to my mate we must be masochists for being here tonight :D
We gotta ride this year out now. Gonna be looooooong cold winter 🤣

Random thoughts in no particular order:

- Dow is decent in traffic by hand and has a side step but that's it. Just about seen enough to say he won't make it. Tackles don't stick, doesn't work from contest to contest so can't rack up big numbers, can't kick.

- Martin can barely lift his feet off the ground. He almost gave away a 6-6-6 free (after we'd been warned) running into the F50 from the bench to beat the clock. He was busting his gut to get there and could hardly move. Sad to see.

- Bolton, D.Rioli and Nank, along with Martin, are playing sore/underdone. There's probably more but they look the worst. Nank in particular is either completely cooked or playing with duct tape holding his groin together. Watching English effortlessly blow him up was embarrassing. If you're wondering why Vlastuin or some other 6 foot bloke was competing with 8 metre Darcy all night it's because Nank physically couldn't work back.

- Sonsie is finding his feet with the pace of the game but he burns the ball. Did it all last year in the VFL as well. He looks flashy on both sides but that's where it ends. He can improve because the mechanics are fine but we don't "need him kicking the ball as much as possible". He's clean around the contest.

- Our gameplan of Vlastuin/Short kicks to Vlastuin/Short in the back pocket, who bombs it 50m, is awful. I think we want more corridor but teams have defended it well since the Sydney win and the option is never there, but we don't do enough to shift the defence. It's why D.Rioli, Broad, Pickett, probably others have looked foolish trying to go on runs, take on the man on the mark, break tackles. They're trying to create something but there's not enough on the same wavelength to support.

- For the amount of ball coming in I thought Miller did well on JUH. 1.2, 9 touches, 3 marks from a record 543 inside 50s for the Dogs. Bigger issue was Short's opponent having 27 and kicking 4. Young I think won't make it.

- Players constantly slipping over is a tell tale sign of confidence being shot.

- Our ball movement is hugely dependant on Bolton. At his best, he's the only one who consistently spreads and offers forward handball options and link up from marks, particularly 70m from goal. When he's invisible like he's been recently it's no wonder we look so stagnant and stale once we actually manage to get it past halfway.

- Lefau, Mansell, Maurice all crack in with a higher intensity than everyone else.

- Yze is at the moment a bad, cookie cutter and uninspiring media performer - which is fine, Goodwin is horrendous and a premiership coach. All that counts is what he's like behind closed doors. Him saying he can't fault the effort is obviously horseshit - I said to my mate at quarter time that this has all the hallmarks of a 100 pointer. BUT, he's hardly going to say anything that remotely resembles him turning on the players. His biggest task is keeping the players engaged at the moment - heaping shit on them wouldn't improve the situation.

- Stevie Wonder could see that Graham was going to ping something again but enough has already been said about our comical management of injuries.

- One thing I will say about that is I know for a fact Chris Scott used to be a nightmare with his fitness staff. Would constantly force 50/50 players to play, knowing the risks, and then when it blew up he would roast the staff. Not saying Yze is a campaigner, in fact I think he needs more campaigner in him, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he holds a lot of responsibility for rushing players back and the resulting re-injuries, as well as playing cooked senior players mentioned above. The frequency of injuries in the first place is a seperate issue however.

- Cumberland ran around like a headless chook and then failed to compete in a marking contest when he obviously had to go. It looks to me like his feel and instinct for the game is lost. He's just running around like Patrick Beverley. I'm not a hater but he just looks scrambled. Tough game to make an impact though, hopefully he gets a couple more chances to see if he's improved.

- We are far, far too small and every second tackle gets walked through. Just a fact of having young players out there unfortunately.

- If there is a stat for palming it directly to the oppo I'd love to see it. 44 hitouts for Nank, 15 must've gone straight to Bont.

- Shattered for Banks and Rioli. Maurice's endeavour in particular is second to none. He was actually having a bit of an impact around the ball as well. When Banks went down he moved up to a wing, Ralphsmith would roll up and replace him from the HFF and Maurice basically became an extra mid. He's hard to tackle. Hope it's not as bad as it looked it.

- Ralphsmith can find the ball and is getting better in the contest. Covered the most ground of any player (17km) and also ran the furthest at top speed.

- Campbell is getting in right spots and always chooses the more aggressive option. He turned it over a lot but I'd prefer he try to set up a goal than kick it 20m sideways. He's small though, needs another preseason or two.

- Short is absolutely diabolical. What has happened to him. B&F winner and one of our best on 2020 GF day. Turned into an absolute panic merchant when he should be in the middle of his prime.

- Things are never as bad or as good as they seem.

Think that's it.

Back