Rolling World Cup squad thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Squad for India would be so much better if we got Handscomb to keep and bought Ferguson in instead of Carey. Don’t understand how anyone rates Carey. Ferg’s List A stats the last 2 seasons in Australia and England are insane. 4 150+ scores including 2 over 180.

Agree with that, Carey must be 'really good around the boys' to be considered a lock by most to be at the WC. And it's not like we have a Rashid Khan type bowler in the squad requiring us to pick the best keeper available. Whilst I am somewhat critical of Ferguson in red ball Cricket, 50 over Cricket is his format and he hasn't had the chance to show this as much since the ridiculous Sydney Carnival format of the JLT Cup came in.

I hear you and I wouldn’t bat him that higher either but I am just trying to second guess the selectors.

I don't really get why people do this, with team and squad selections in all sports.

Surely the whole point of discussion and debate with squads is to argue who you think should be in, and not just play "closest to the pin" with what the selectors might do.

Cutting is a bloke that would be seriously handy in an England world cup if he bowling was say 10-15% better. No way could you pick him though.

He's one guy who you could say T20 cricket ruined. Was a genuine all-rounder who had a strike rate with the ball in the 40s in FC cricket, but fell in love with basically being a baseball slogger with the bat, to the point where people find his bowling somewhat cringeworthy these days.

Squad for India would be so much better if we got Handscomb to keep and bought Ferguson in instead of Carey. Don’t understand how anyone rates Carey. Ferg’s List A stats the last 2 seasons in Australia and England are insane. 4 150+ scores including 2 over 180. Would at least like him there instead of Khawaja so Ussie can play all 4 shield matches instead.
Watch any batting advantage we have by this just disappear and then some when Handscomb drops the opposition's gun opening batsman in single figures. Not to mention all the extras and other missed half chances a proper gloveman might take.

Squad for India would be so much better if we got Handscomb to keep and bought Ferguson in instead of Carey. Don’t understand how anyone rates Carey. Ferg’s List A stats the last 2 seasons in Australia and England are insane. 4 150+ scores including 2 over 180. Would at least like him there instead of Khawaja so Ussie can play all 4 shield matches instead.

Good call, i've always liked Ferguson as an ODI player. Just realised he's 34 so time's running out

Watch any batting advantage we have by this just disappear and then some when Handscomb drops the opposition's gun opening batsman in single figures. Not to mention all the extras and other missed half chances a proper gloveman might take.

You watch any of the JLT where Handscomb kept? He is perfectly capable. Carey isn’t as good a keeper as people make him out to be.

Last edited:
Good call, i've always liked Ferguson as an ODI player. Just realised he's 34 so time's running out
Smarsh is 35 and our best ODI bat outside of Warner, arguably better than Smith in his current purple patch. Age means less when it comes to limted overs than test cricket. Pick the blokes scoring runs in all conditions.

Last edited:
He's one guy who you could say T20 cricket ruined. Was a genuine all-rounder who had a strike rate with the ball in the 40s in FC cricket, but fell in love with basically being a baseball slogger with the bat, to the point where people find his bowling somewhat cringeworthy these days.
Probably wasnt far off playing test cricket when Starc was picked ahead of him, perhaps a little unlucky. He was killing it in shield at the time.

I don't really get why people do this, with team and squad selections in all sports.

Surely the whole point of discussion and debate with squads is to argue who you think should be in, and not just play "closest to the pin" with what the selectors might do.

The reality is Carey will be picked. I didn’t have him in my first squad but now I am trying to pick a squad more aligned to what I think the selectors have in mind.

You watch any of the JLT where Handscomb kept? He is perfectly capable. Carey isn’t as good a keeper as people make him out to be.
Didn't watch much of it but he would have want to have improved out of sight to be given the reponsibilty and burden of keeping in a 50 over World Cup.

Not worth the risk just to potentially pinch a few runs, if you aren't happy with Carey just bring in Wade.

Didn't watch much of it but he would have want to have improved out of sight to be given the reponsibilty and burden of keeping in a 50 over World Cup.

Not worth the risk just to potentially pinch a few runs, if you aren't happy with Carey just bring in Wade.

Just to refresh your memory, his keeping was good enough for his team to win it...

Not sure what happened to WA, must be gun OD team given they make up half the Australian squad, but I don’t remember seeing them in the final even...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to refresh your memory, his keeping was good enough for his team to win it...

Not sure what happened to WA, must be gun OD team given they make up half the Australian squad, but I don’t remember seeing them in the final even...
Dont worry about what he said. He went on a rant talking bollocks about his keeping ability and then amdmitted he hadn’t even watched any of the JLT. Handscomb was sound behind the stumps and you’d be a lunatic to want Carey in the side when we have a dominant Ferg sitting on the sidelines.

You didnt watch but you want him to have improved out of sight? Improved from when? You just admitted to not even watching? Onya Kram

The reality is Carey will be picked. I didn’t have him in my first squad but now I am trying to pick a squad more aligned to what I think the selectors have in mind.

Bloke has had a crack everywhere in the order and he just isn’t good. Bloody sick of him. Rather scissorhands Wade be back. At least he can hit them out of the middle

You didnt watch but you want him to have improved out of sight? Improved from when? You just admitted to not even watching? Onya Kram
I've seen him 'keep' a lot, he's shithouse. Pick him if you want but don't come crying when he drops a chance of a batsmen like Kohli in the first over and then makes a big scors all to potentially scape a few extra runs on our scorecard.

Dont worry about what he said. He went on a rant talking bollocks about his keeping ability and then amdmitted he hadn’t even watched any of the JLT. Handscomb was sound behind the stumps and you’d be a lunatic to want Carey in the side when we have a dominant Ferg sitting on the sidelines.
Bloke has had a crack everywhere in the order and he just isn’t good. Bloody sick of him. Rather scissorhands Wade be back. At least he can hit them out of the middle

Id say you'd be more of a lunatic thinking a part time keeper is going to go through a 2 month tournament - potentially 11 matches and not have it bite you on the ass. Whilst Wade is no wizard with the gloves, he is better than Handscomb and will be sufficient for our attack. As would be Carey.

And in fairness to Carey, he has only played 9 matches. Bit early to be saying he isn't good.

And in fairness to Carey, he has only played 9 matches. Bit early to be saying he isn't good.

34 List A matches playing on those joke postage stamp grounds for an average of 28. That’s enough of a sample size for me to say he just is not that good.

34 List A matches playing on those joke postage stamp grounds for an average of 28. That’s enough of a sample size for me to say he just is not that good.
He's 27. He's only played 34 List A games. He's been inconsistent so far but he's hardly a write off at his age.

He's shown enough to indicate he is a potential player for Australia. In the current climate of Australian cricket where we appear to be lacking standout young talent, drawing a line through a player at his age and after 34 games is a bit early IMO.

He's 27. He's only played 34 List A games. He's been inconsistent so far but he's hardly a write off at his age.

He's shown enough to indicate he is a potential player for Australia. In the current climate of Australian cricket where we appear to be lacking standout young talent, drawing a line through a player at his age and after 34 games is a bit early IMO.
I’m not suggesting we put a line through his name, I am suggesting he is not good enough to be in the international set up at this point

Id say you'd be more of a lunatic thinking a part time keeper is going to go through a 2 month tournament - potentially 11 matches and not have it bite you on the ass. Whilst Wade is no wizard with the gloves, he is better than Handscomb and will be sufficient for our attack. As would be Carey.

Plus the extra workload could drag on Lead Boot's batting which has only started to really look good in the ODI's.
So, how about Wade?
Prefer to stick with Carey just atm but Wade on standby for the job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back