Preview Round 1 2017 - Essendon hosting Melbourne on a Friday night

Remove this Banner Ad

Only a Melbourne supporter would say Essendon vs Melbourne is more enticing than Essendon vs Hawthorn.

There's a reason basically everyone on the Essendon board is doing cartwheels over this.

Because you're more likely to beat Hawthorn?

You're telling me vs Hawthorn is more enticing than vs Melbourne with Hibberd and Melksham?

Because you're more likely to beat Hawthorn?

You're telling me vs Hawthorn is more enticing than vs Melbourne with Hibberd and Melksham?
No, because:

1. Essendon and Hawthorn hate each other with a passion. I would say they're our second biggest rival, and we're their second biggest rival.
2. It's a guaranteed 80k crowd, probably pushing 90k.
3. What better way to welcome back the players than playing an arch rival in front of 90k people?

1. Opening game should be between Grand Finalist.

2. Lower placed teams shouldn't be hand-job'd prime time.

3. Essendon v Melbourne is a far more enticing fixture than...Essendon vs Hawthorn.

1. No it should not. We just saw the grand finalists, waited six months, only to see them again? Haha putrid.

2. Lower supported teams shouldn't be handed prime time. No one supports them so less people watch and attend. Simple.

3. So, so biased. Hawthorn are at least relevant. Melbourne are not.

No, because:

1. Essendon and Hawthorn hate each other with a passion. I would say they're our second biggest rival, and we're their second biggest rival.
3. What better way to welcome back the players than playing an arch rival in front of 90k people?

If it gets 90k I'll blow you.

1. No it should not. We just saw the grand finalists, waited six months, only to see them again? Haha putrid.

2. Lower supported teams shouldn't be handed prime time. No one supports them so less people watch and attend. Simple.

3. So, so biased. Hawthorn are at least relevant. Melbourne are not.

1. Great logic.
2. Scheduling fixtures based on "support" is at odds with viewer interest. See Bulldogs viewership during finals. Neutral fans want to watch good teams. This viewership trumps general support for, say, Richmond vs Carlton. You're telling me more people are interested in watching those two than a Bulldogs vs Swans opener? Pa-lease!
3. In what ways are Essendon relevant aside from the whole, "LET'S SEE HOW THE DRUG CHEATS PERFORM" narrative?

1. Great logic.
2. Scheduling fixtures based on "support" is at odds with viewer interest. See Bulldogs viewership during finals.
3. In what ways are Essendon relevant aside from the whole, "LET'S SEE HOW THE DRUG CHEATS PERFORM" narrative?
Bookmarked. Although it should be the whole thread tradition of BF.

Essendon will host Hawthorn to kick off the Bombers 2017 season in a blockbuster Round One opener at the MCG on Saturday night.

Bombers CEO Xavier Campbell said the Club was thrilled to be playing a home game in Round One for the first time in five years.

“We wanted to start the season with a big game and they don’t get much bigger than Hawthorn at the MCG,” Campbell said.

Confirmed we play Hawthorn Rnd 1 on the Saturday night.....can't wait

If it wasn't an away game, interstate and on a Sunday, people were going to find a reason to piss and moan about it.

No doubt many of you bitching now will still be just a bit curious about this game, given the situations of both clubs currently. And that's all the AFL gives a toss about- that you tune in.

A LONG overdue home opener for the Bombers. About ******* time.

Pitiful scheduling.

We played the Saints TWICE at Etihad last year and get them round 1 there...on a Sunday.

Meanwhile, a club found guilty of cheating gets prime time on a Saturday night against a top team.

Premier plays a non-finalist on a Friday.

2x not finalist to open the season.

*yawn*

The AFL just doesn't get it.

1. Opening game should be between Grand Finalist.

2. Lower placed teams shouldn't be hand-job'd prime time.

3. Essendon v Melbourne is a far more enticing fixture than...Essendon vs Hawthorn.

How predictably s**t.

Hahaha sook it up more boi

If Richmond v Carlton can't pull 90k for a season opener, Essendon vs Hawthorn most certainly isn't.
Essendon vs Hawthorn definitely has that potential. Essendon has a massive membership base, as does Hawthorn.

1. Great logic.
2. Scheduling fixtures based on "support" is at odds with viewer interest. See Bulldogs viewership during finals. Neutral fans want to watch good teams. This viewership trumps general support for, say, Richmond vs Carlton. You're telling me more people are interested in watching those two than a Bulldogs vs Swans opener? Pa-lease!

1. It is great logic. The fact you couldn't put an argument against it tells me you know I'm right. It's a watered down repeat of the last game we saw months ago. Give us new matchups.
2. Dogs just won the flag. Melbourne are yet to do anything. Great comparison.
3. Just the second most supported side in the league. Essendon are one of those clubs that cannot be irrelevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Great logic.

Why would we want to play against Minnow FC in the first round. 90k easy.

If Richmond v Carlton can't pull 90k for a season opener, Essendon vs Hawthorn most certainly isn't.

Essendon v Hawthorn will have a bigger crowd than Richmond v Carlton.

No, because:

1. Id argue the hawks are your number 1 for pure hatred. And until recent years, you were there's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back