Autopsy Round 1, 2023: Positives and Negatives vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs a Arnie: see you at the party Victor
legend GIF

• Long looks a player - impactful and nous. Had 1 mare in the third or fourth but loved his game.
  • Ginbey looks a player - just needs to learn to back himself and not be a "nice guy" at the contest. Reckon he gave the hands a few times when he could have taken a step through some players. Will come with confidence in the physicality. Also shouldn't have given the hands to Shuey, but Shuey shouldn't have called for it. If it was Gov or Hurn sure, but whens the last time Shuey kicked one from outside 50.
  • Shuey apart from above
  • Ryan rallying the team back into the game
  • ChessGod getting through a game of footy (lol) but reckon he'll have a patch later in the season
  • Getting back into the game and nearly stealing it

• Sheed, Gaff & Kelly having a case of the Cripps when there's players around them. Not nearly good enough for Senior Midfielders
  • Larkey kicking 6. He did it to us last time, maybe play him tighter ffs
  • Sheezel having 34 albeit he was on kick in duties
  • Our Rucks

I have stated many times since 2018 that Simmo hasn’t coached well.He took the “family club” mantra far far too long.He needed to kick arse and didn’t.
The other big problem was losing Vardy/Lycett.With NN struggling we lacked big tough blokes and currently still do.
WCE are building a nice midfield ( potentially) but desperately need good big men.BW won’t be the answer so Barnett/ Jameson could be a nice combo going forward.NN? Who knows

Thought Will Schofield's comments yesterday were pretty spot on:

His take doesn’t seem to gel with any of the comments on this thread, but he’s got a good footy brain so I’ll take what he says into account. Footy IS a pretty simple game (as WS says), but players need tenacity, resilience, intent and good skills. If we haven’t got the cattle, we haven’t got the cattle. As Mr Miyagi said in the The Karate Kid: “Win, lose, no matter. You make good fight. Earn respect.”

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

His take doesn’t seem to gel with any of the comments on this thread, but he’s got a good footy brain so I’ll take what he says into account. Footy IS a pretty simple game (as WS says), but players need tenacity, resilience, intent and good skills. If we haven’t got the cattle, we haven’t got the cattle. As Mr Miyagi said in the The Karate Kid: “Win, lose, no matter. You make good fight. Earn respect.”

Of course his comments don't gel but we are mostly couch experts and not former AFL players who played with the same team, as far as I am aware.

I'd have to agree with his comment re: fundamentals though. Basic kicks, handballs and tackles not sticking led to North scoring on multiple occasions. The second quarter fadeout was compeltely unacceptable but the players appeared to pull the finger out after half-time.

Pretty telling that a first gamer in Noah Long looked like one of our cleanest players. That Cripps fumble on the wing that cost us a shot on goal was pretty infuriating.

While Schofield is right to a large extent.
The second quarter problem is more than that:
1. Most of the WCE midfielders took it too easy; not willing to contest, not chasing; leave too much work for the defenders.
2. The basic skill of NM was not better than the WCE. However, NM is willing to put pressure on the opposition. The NM coach knew how to beat WCE by creating chaos.

It was the willingness to contest for the four quarters that made the difference.

His comments seem to align with Yeos when he spoke about the team review. Couldn't get their hands on the ball, and if you can't do that there's no point even looking at ball movement, setting up in front of or behind the ball..

We did not execute the basics in getting our hands on the footy and disposing of it cleanly. Kangas did. We got better as the game went on but by then it was too late.

Of course his comments don't gel but we are mostly couch experts and not former AFL players who played with the same team, as far as I am aware.

I'd have to agree with his comment re: fundamentals though. Basic kicks, handballs and tackles not sticking led to North scoring on multiple occasions. The second quarter fadeout was compeltely unacceptable but the players appeared to pull the finger out after half-time.

Pretty telling that a first gamer in Noah Long looked like one of our cleanest players. That Cripps fumble on the wing that cost us a shot on goal was pretty infuriating.

100% correct that WS has far more knowledge and experience that I have (and that applies, I’m guessing, to almost everyone else on this forum too). Although I might be wrong, I suspect his close ties to the club make it difficult for him – at times – to make pointed or controversial comments about specific players or the coach. In other words, my guess is that he will sometimes pull his punches (unlike Kane Cornes and Gary Lyon). If you disagree, pile on by all means…

100% correct that WS has far more knowledge and experience that I have (and that applies, I’m guessing, to almost everyone else on this forum too). Although I might be wrong, I suspect his close ties to the club make it difficult for him – at times – to make pointed or controversial comments about specific players or the coach. In other words, my guess is that he will sometimes pull his punches (unlike Kane Cornes and Gary Lyon). If you disagree, pile on by all means…

Don't think he'd want to name players specifically, he played in a premiership with a bunch of them after all.

Nothing wrong with saying they, as a collective, failed to execute fundamental, basic skills properly though. Simmo said it himself on Monday in the interview with Schofield.

Be interesting to see how they address it at match committee over the coming weeks though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is there any just eagles players highlights from the game?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Round 1 vs North Melbourne - Player Video Review

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What mindset is the playing group in if it only took until the SECOND QUARTER OF THE YEAR to stop working hard and allow the opposition a run on.

Gave it a good run for one quarter then rested on our laurels? Why aren't they HUNGRY?

Show us 4 quarters this weekend and we win. No excuses with their likely outs.

Noah Long highlights were good and shows he hunts and gets his own ball and tackles.
What it also reminded me of was a couple of annoying decisions. Players diving forward when they are tackled from behind and get a free for in the back even if they throw the ball away. If you dive forward of your own volition it should be the same as ducking.
Also Cripps should have been a 50m penalty, paid 90% of the time when the umps want to.

Noah Long highlights were good and shows he hunts and gets his own ball and tackles.
What it also reminded me of was a couple of annoying decisions. Players diving forward when they are tackled from behind and get a free for in the back even if they throw the ball away. If you dive forward of your own volition it should be the same as ducking.
Also Cripps should have been a 50m penalty, paid 90% of the time when the umps want to.
I wish they would change the ruling on the 'in the back' frees. If its in a tackle then its fair game in my opinion. As long as you dont hit them with speed.

Schofield with a more measured view of the game and what went wrong. Good watch

Not only do I not like the guy from my experiences with him in the real world, I'm blocked by him on twitter.
BUT I find it a bit rich for a guy who was renowned for the selfish playing out from half back and getting mowed down HTB.

Not only do I not like the guy from my experiences with him in the real world, I'm blocked by him on twitter.
BUT I find it a bit rich for a guy who was renowned for the selfish playing out from half back and getting mowed down HTB.

LoL what did you say to him that got you blocked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back