Preview Round 1 - Brisbane Lions v Port Adelaide 7.10pm Sat 19th March - Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With each post we are getting more (?over) confident. Next up we'll be saying Port are a bonafide spoon favourite NEAFL club and we should fold our club if we don't win by 10 goals. Adelaide hospitals will be on high alert for cardiac calls as Port fans will die laughing reading this thread if we lose.

Pretty much as expected baring any covid issues in the next 2 days
Will be interested in the 2 ruck combo
Wonder who racks up another game as a sub as i do not want them to get a run on the field

Port have a first gamer in J Meade and Sam Skinner named as emergency
PORT ADELAIDE

B:
R.Burton 3 T.McKenzie 12 A.Aliir 21
HB: R.Bonner 26 T.Jonas - C 1 D.Byrne-Jones 33
C: D.Houston 5 O.Wines 16 K.Amon 15
HF: Z.Butters 18 M.Georgiades 19 C.Rozee 20
F: J.Finlayson 11 T.Marshall 4 R.Gray 9
Foll: S.Lycett 29 W.Drew 28 T.Boak 10
I/C: S.Powell-Pepper 2 L.Jones 34 X.Duursma 7 J.Mead 44

Emerg: S.Motlop 6 S.Hayes 25 S.Mayes 32 S.Skinner 31

New faces: Finlayson, Mead
Notable absentees:
Dixon, Fantasia

Pretty much as expected baring any covid issues in the next 2 days
Will be interested in the 2 ruck combo
Wonder who racks up another game as a sub as i do not want them to get a run on the field

Port have a first gamer in J Meade and Sam Skinner named as emergency
PORT ADELAIDE

B:
R.Burton 3 T.McKenzie 12 A.Aliir 21
HB: R.Bonner 26 T.Jonas - C 1 D.Byrne-Jones 33
C: D.Houston 5 O.Wines 16 K.Amon 15
HF: Z.Butters 18 M.Georgiades 19 C.Rozee 20
F: J.Finlayson 11 T.Marshall 4 R.Gray 9
Foll: S.Lycett 29 W.Drew 28 T.Boak 10
I/C: S.Powell-Pepper 2 L.Jones 34 X.Duursma 7 J.Mead 44

Emerg: S.Motlop 6 S.Hayes 25 S.Mayes 32 S.Skinner 31

New faces: Finlayson, Mead
Notable absentees: Dixon, Fantasia
Fages has gone for the experience and known factor in AhChee over Madden for the 7th defender.
I think it will be Madden or Matho for the Sub.

Strong team. Would like to have seen Madden get the start, but Ah Chee offers great versatility.
Keen to see how the ruck duo goes after OMc doing a lot of heavy carrying in the last 2 seasons.
Also keen to see whether Answerth / Ah Chee spend any time on the wing

I prefer Ah Chee gets first crack. He is versatile enough to rotate onto wing or forward if we get an injury. We can rotate both Answerth and Ah Chee onto the wing if needed. If Zorko is underdone he can spend some forward minutes. We can get a few different looks going on in the middle and wing with Ah Chee as an option. If we bring in Madden he is committed to the back line so we lose a lot of flexibility. Having said that we should be prepared to drop Ah Chee quickly if he isn't up to the task

It's our best most balanced side available. Only Hipwood and Kiddy could displace anyone there.

Looks great on paper to me. No one there I'd consider a weak link. Unless the Cockatoo from last year turns up which seems unlikely to be the case.

The only thing that worries me is that it'd be a massive upset in my mind if we get beaten. Not usually this confident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the AFL website:

"Former No.1 pick Cam Rayner will play his first AFL game since tearing his AFL on the eve of last season, joining ex-Cat Darcy Fort in the Lions' 22 for the clash against the Power."

That's quite a unique sounding injury.

Motlop only emergency for us that wasn't named in our SANFL trial suggesting he is the sub

You have the wood on us and i Can't see that changing saturday night
Bris by 36

Motlop only emergency for us that wasn't named in our SANFL trial suggesting he is the sub

You have the wood on us and i Can't see that changing saturday night
Bris by 36
Not falling for that.

We have a great rivalry with Port and I think this will be a close one.

Port will be fired up as the underdogs and I can just see them flying out of the blocks.

We'll probably just get them in the end.

Lions by 7 points

The pessimism on the Port board is beyond the pale. I guess if you expect the worst, the only way is up, emotionally speaking. I think it'll be much closer than they're prepared to hope for.

Unreasonably confident about this one. Would geniuinely be stunned with anything closer than a 4 goal win. We match up far too well for Port and have continually made their tall defenders accountable and overwhelmed, and our defence can handle them. Can't see us taking round 1 lightly either after the last 2 seaons.

My only query is that we have historically had Hippy who always plays well against port. But McStay was excellent against them in 2020 and pretty good last year too.

Also don't really rate Port because none of their players scares me - with the Dees, Dogs, Tigers, Cats I can easily see a scenario where a star mid or forward just grabs the game and beats us singlehandedly. Port is more similar to us with a bunch of very good to good midfielders but we seem to have a structural advantage over them.

Add in that and the fact that they probably overachieved last year (won all 6 games under 3 goal margin, including 1 and 2 point wins over the pies and crows, just over 2 goal wins over the saints and swans) means that I think they'll slide back a bit - bottom half of the 8 seems likely.
The underachieved thing could be a myth because we were destroyed by injury and just tried to scrape through, but I guess we'll find out this year.

With you guys and your game style though you are right. We are very much a clearance based team. We rely on winning clearances, locking the ball in our forward half and then when the ball is in open play we have some very effective ball users who can help us transition to again get it forward and lock it in. Realisticall our defence is then very reliant on our whole team defence and our scoring comes more from creating turnovers and repeat entries.

Somehow though, every time we play you guys, you absorb our early forward forays and clearance wins and you find ways to not just break through our team defence and forward press, but you kick end to end goals with ease. This has happened time and time again where your backline absorbs our pressure, forces us into low percentage options, and then you dont only rebound but you go end to end and carve us up. Even when you don't go end to end, you somehow manage to at least rebound from deep in defence to a target outside 50, and prevent us from creating repeat entries. Then once you have momentum and scoreboard pressure you tend to get a run on in clearances and you penetrate deep with them. Then the chaos that causes when the ball hits the ground causes our defence to go to water and your smalls have a field day if your talls haven't already outmarked us. As such you guys have banged on huge runs of goals against us the last 4 times we've played.

Honestly we have had an ordinary pre-season. We don't look sharp, certainly no where near what you guys looked like V the Dogs, and usually we hit the season and round 1 at full pace, but we dont look anywhere near that level at the moment. So given you guys look wound up, we look sluggish, this game is in Brisbane, where we possibly face muggy/slippery conditions (which are a nightmare for us), and you guys have clearly got the wood on us, a Port win would be a massive upset. As a Port fan I've personally loaded up all my multis with Brisbane included as I think you're a lock. For us our season almost effectively starts rnd 2.

Does anyone have a printable list of the players. numbered low to high, that I could print out?

I would like to have this for all matched that I watch on TV
Does anyone have a printable list of the players. numbered low to high, that I could print out?

I would like to have this for all matched that I watch on TV
Screenshot and print this

Bloody hell its quiet in here.Are people pumped or just chiiling?
Its a new season and we are a chance.

Think everyone’s a bit nervous because tomorrow night is a must win game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back