Preview Round 1 Match Preview: Sydney v GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 1 - Inner Western Sydney Giants vs Sydney Swans
4.40pm Spotless Stadium - Saturday

So....

Its that time of the season where we play one of our two AFL dictated Derbies against the Inner Western Sydney Giants. The Giants have spent the whole summer angry at us for signing a player in Buddy that they themselves were targeting but never mind he is in Sydney regardless and thats good for the code and the game itself, just look at him promoting the match....

BikChPMCMAA1ZOQ.jpg

...oh

No wonder they mad

Still he is named to play and with only Phil Davis and Jonathan Giles who is normally a ruck man to take him, Sam Reid, LRT and a resting Mike Pyke. Things could get ugly quickly if our midfield gets on top as they did in the last game at the SCG.

On the flip side Cameron will be a handful and Patton did a handy job last year in the Round 1 match, so Ted and Grundy will need to be on their toes for the entire match with Laidler providing the cover spoils. Malceski and Shaw should provide the run out of defence they gave us in 2012 with the form already shown in the Pre Season and that should tip the the midfield battle towards us with McVeigh back in the middle full-time.

Yes we lost Mumford to the Giants but in the NAB Challenge match a few weeks back their seemed to be no ill-will shown by him towards the players on the night, but things could be different on Saturday. Pyke might not win the hitouts but he'll kick goals and that will tip that battle in our favour. Back on the midfields I'm not that down on "resting" O'Keefe. The Giants midfield hasn't lived up the hype yet but it could do so at anytime and the one thing to fear about them is their speed. Missing O'Keefe isn't such a bad thing with a player such as Cunningham in the side. Expect Kennedy, Parker, Mitchell, McVeigh and Bird to work in tight to get the ball out to Jetta, Cunningham, Rohan, McGlynn and Jack.

Overall the Giants are an improved team from the team we saw last at the SCG due to their recruiting and the fact their young players have now got a 3rd Pre Season under their belt. I expect us to win and ease into the season with a 5 goal win, but this will be one of the last times to expect it because the Giants are not only mad, they are getting better.

On ROK, I agree with the talk of rotations, he'll be back round 2 to take on Pendlebury.
Lets be honest this game is just another practice match, only its worth 4 points.

This O'Keefe situation is kinda like the Sewell situation at Hawthorn last year. He just couldn't get a game. I think this may be his last year.

The thing with Sewell was that he was getting games all year but eventually got dropped for poor form (for about a week) after an extended run where they gave him the time to capture some form.

Round 1 - Inner Western Sydney Giants vs Sydney Swans
4.40pm Spotless Stadium - Saturday

So....

Its that time of the season where we play one of our two AFL dictated Derbies against the Inner Western Sydney Giants. The Giants have spent the whole summer angry at us for signing a player in Buddy that they themselves were targeting but never mind he is in Sydney regardless and thats good for the code and the game itself, just look at him promoting the match....

BikChPMCMAA1ZOQ.jpg

...oh

No wonder they mad

Still he is named to play and with only Phil Davis and Jonathan Giles who is normally a ruck man to take him, Sam Reid, LRT and a resting Mike Pyke. Things could get ugly quickly if our midfield gets on top as they did in the last game at the SCG.

On the flip side Cameron will be a handful and Patton did a handy job last year in the Round 1 match, so Ted and Grundy will need to be on their toes for the entire match with Laidler providing the cover spoils. Malceski and Shaw should provide the run out of defence they gave us in 2012 with the form already shown in the Pre Season and that should tip the the midfield battle towards us with McVeigh back in the middle full-time.

Yes we lost Mumford to the Giants but in the NAB Challenge match a few weeks back their seemed to be no ill-will shown by him towards the players on the night, but things could be different on Saturday. Pyke might not win the hitouts but he'll kick goals and that will tip that battle in our favour. Back on the midfields I'm not that down on "resting" O'Keefe. The Giants midfield hasn't lived up the hype yet but it could do so at anytime and the one thing to fear about them is their speed. Missing O'Keefe isn't such a bad thing with a player such as Cunningham in the side. Expect Kennedy, Parker, Mitchell, McVeigh and Bird to work in tight to get the ball out to Jetta, Cunningham, Rohan, McGlynn and Jack.

Overall the Giants are an improved team from the team we saw last at the SCG due to their recruiting and the fact their young players have now got a 3rd Pre Season under their belt. I expect us to win and ease into the season with a 5 goal win, but this will be one of the last times to expect it because the Giants are not only mad, they are getting better.

A really good synopsis. Very much my thoughts too. The other thing is that during the NAB cup we played to Mummy when he won the taps anyway. Not miffed about O'Keefe said last year that very soon our list would be so strong that players would be picked for match ups not experience. Players who don't perform, no matter their history at the club, will find themselves kicking the dew this year. ROK did not have a very good preseason and his slow starts are legendary. He steps up toward the middle of the season and by finals is a big gun. Horse has simply picked the players who have shown the best form in the preseason and have shown the flexibility he wants. That is another problem ROK may have. He seems reluctant to play as a HF and wants to play in the mids still.

Interesting we named Derickx as an emergency why bother? Pyke in doubt?

I think it is going to depend on the day. If it rains then Horse will go a certain way and if it doesn't he will go another way. In other words there may still yet be a change but I can't see ROK being that change. Derrickx would be the one to come in. I think it may be dependent on where Giles plays. In other words if Horse gets a leak that Giles is playing ruck then Derrickx may come in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting we named Derickx as an emergency why bother? Pyke in doubt?

Hedging against risk. Pyke may not be injured now, but if he rolls his ankle an hour before the bounce and Derickx isn't an emergency, we'd go in with LRT and perhaps Reid as our ruckmen against Mumford and Giles. That'd be a complete bloodbath.

Longmire said in form kids pushed ROK out , ROK will play in the 2s tomorrow , N Cordy Article

I guess when you come out saying that every position is up for grabs and everyone is a chance in the pre-season then you've got to walk the talk.

ROK is as professional as they come and I'm sure he'll do everything he can to win back his place in the team.

That said, I'm not buying the latest from the Franklin rumour factory.

They probably just read J_Moore's joke post from earlier today and called it a 'whisper'.

Happy to see you guys have named Laidler for his first game at the club, hope he goes well.

Was a good player before injury and the subsequent loss of form hurt his chances. Will be a more than handy pick up and will go well on the smaller SCG.

Happy to see you guys have named Laidler for his first game at the club, hope he goes well.

Was a good player before injury and the subsequent loss of form hurt his chances. Will be a more than handy pick up and will go well on the smaller SCG.

You Carlton guys really did like the lad. Happy to see common sense prevails and you can wish and ex-player well. Well done to all you all - shows some real class that is sadly lacking around these boards.

Also hoping Everitt reaches his potential with you guys, sad to see him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back