Game Day Round 1 vs. Sydney, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 15/03

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out = Johnson Mitchell Cox
In= Reef Mcrae Noble (into 22)
Sub= Frampton (can come on and ruck or slip back if the need to rejig)
We won’t drop Cox. He had 19 hitouts, only one fewer than Briggs and was tapping them quite well. Frampton has not had enough time in the ruck. Might be needed to replace Dean or AJ.

Everyone calling for Finn to come in hmm I wonder who’s been saying that for ages.

I see the annual calling for Coxs head has started. He and AJ seem to be the only ones to blame for the loss according to BF. I don’t know why I bother reading these things it’s always the same.

Changes for next week for what it’s worth.
In: Howe if fit, Finn
Out: JFN, Mitchell

If Howe is not fit the Frampton.

I think the backline works better with 3 tall defenders. WHE played tall last night and it didn’t work. Dean needs to play on the 3rd tall and Sydney have 3 genuine talls. Mitchell is a tough call but I’m only saying him because he was subbed last night.
I can’t see Mitchell running around in the VFL but to be honest, Macrae has put up a bloody good pre-season that we could consider it. He wouldn’t have been our worst last night.

Not sure if heartwarming or disheartening.
We are quick to attack our side, yet 90% we’re grand finalist players.
We will turn it around soon.
In reference to AJ, sure he was disappointing, but I think we lost sight of the fact that he may have been on potentially the best backmen in the league last night.
Time will tell as they say…
It's all very well to dismiss an insipid performance with 'he may be on the best backman', but unfortunately the teams we have to beat to become number one tend to have players of that quality, and our players need to be good enough to at least break even, if not beat them. If they can't, like the 'he's going to be very much improved' Johnson last night, then an excuse is not the required response, but rather a player capable of doing decidedly better than Johnson. The truth is that this player is out for the season. Johnson is not going to be the answer. What do we try next?

That’s a back for a forward. Who would you shuffle then to be forward to replace AJ? Or are you suggesting Howe play forward instead?
Read again.

Last night we met a team seething for revenge since last September. Going into the game with Moore and a first gamer as the only tall options in defence, realistically it was always going to prove a tough assignment. We desperately need Howe and even though reports are that he will play, the injury that he has is hard to shake off especially for a 33 year old. Our 36 year old captain was " managed" on the first half, but was back to his old self in the 2nd. De Goey was also unusually quiet after halftime. Unlike most posters I'm giving AJ one more chance. If he is not desperate to put in a performance, well just concede he is hasn't got the fortitude to perform at AFL level.

The changes I would make In Howe ( if fit), Frampton and Sullivan.

Out: Mitchell, Cox and Elliott
Noble in 22
Markov sub

We don't need to change much, not this early. AJ who I have had a lot of hope for was terrible, maybe he gets another week but his inaction last night didn't look good. I would do the swap with Reef in for AJ. No way are we dropping Cox and Mitchell after one round. We were not terrible in a lot of parts last night and we should give the team a chnce to turn it around net week.

In: Howe (if fit) to play forward.
Out: Johnson

Not sure too many other changes.
Howe has to play back if fit especially with Murphy out. WHE was his like for like replacement and did little and had lots of goals kicked on him. He is in the side for versatility but don’t like him as part of the starting back 6.
I would just have In Reef Out AJ this week
If Howe fit then one of Markov , Noble or WHE out of 23.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all very well to dismiss an insipid performance with 'he may be on the best backman', but unfortunately the teams we have to beat to become number one tend to have players of that quality, and our players need to be good enough to at least break even, if not beat them. If they can't, like the 'he's going to be very much improved' Johnson last night, then an excuse is not the required response, but rather a player capable of doing decidedly better than Johnson. The truth is that this player is out for the season. Johnson is not going to be the answer. What do we try next?
AJ is very much a confidence player.
Admittedly his work ethic is an issue.
By all reports this preseason he’s been making an effort.
Should we back him in again or resign him to the twos again.
I’m prepared to roll the dice a shade longer. It’s only been 1 game this yr.
Reef will get his opportunity and I hope he excels also.
Last night it wasn’t just AJ as the issue up forward. Elliott and Cox were also sub par.

Worst Premiership defence EVER!
Nah, to be truthful they were looking for revenge. Had everything to play for.
Well done to unpicking us with our own game plan.
Moving forward though, we do have some massive issues to work through. Personal being just one.
I really appreciate and celebrate last years premiership, but reality tells me our main opposition have improved and we are still making do with a lot of players who are just to the standard required.
Going to be an interesting year.

Fin must come in. Midfield lacked grunt and contest.
Yes, agree, but who does he replace after one game?
Think its more pressing to shore up the defence and add a marking option forward.
In: Frampton, Howe,
Out: AJ, Hoskin Elliott.

Have a bad feeling we are really going to miss Dan McStay.....

Yes, agree, but who does he replace after one game?
Think its more pressing to shore up the defence and add a marking option forward.
In: Frampton, Howe,
Out: AJ, Hoskin Elliott.

Have a bad feeling we are really going to miss Dan McStay.....
I think Mitchell might be the one to go. If not this week, then soon enough

We won’t drop Cox. He had 19 hitouts, only one fewer than Briggs and was tapping them quite well. Frampton has not had enough time in the ruck. Might be needed to replace Dean or AJ.
For me AJ needs a block of dominance in the VFL.
Needs to rack up consistency in marks and goals scored.
He was a witches hat last night, super disappointed in him.

B Quaynor. Frampton. Dean
Hb. Maynard. Moore. Crisp
C. Jaicos. Degoey. Sidebottom
Hf. Bobby. Checkers. Shultz
F. Elliot. Howe. Reef

R. Cox. Naicos. Pendlebury

Int. Lipinski. Cameron Macrae. Beau
Sub WHE

Howe comes in and plays forward
Can do everything Johnson can do and do all the rest he can’t.
Frampton and Dean to do all the grunt work and Moore free to go everywhere.
Cox and Cameron need to produce more up forward or one goes out of the side. Grundy has a point to prove in the ruck.
No room for Markov or Noble. WHE can play both their roles with Pendles and Crisp driving transition from half back.
Macrae can go up against Swans young inside mids
Reef to provide another target and physical pressure

Outs Mitchell Markov Noble and Johnson
We all know their ceilings

Go Pies!

Last edited:
For me AJ needs a block of dominance in the VFL.
Needs to rack up consistency in marks and goals scored.
He was a witches hat last night, super disappointed in him.
It’s the same issue he had last year. He doesn’t do enough when he isn’t kicking goals and last night, when he didn’t kick goals, he was awful. Even if you say he played on a good defender, it’s not going to take much to shut him down and then we’re effectively playing a forward short.

AJ is very much a confidence player.
Admittedly his work ethic is an issue.
By all reports this preseason he’s been making an effort.
Should we back him in again or resign him to the twos again.
I’m prepared to roll the dice a shade longer. It’s only been 1 game this yr.
Reef will get his opportunity and I hope he excels also.
Last night it wasn’t just AJ as the issue up forward. Elliott and Cox were also sub par.
Yes Elliott was below par as he was most of the latter part of last year but that is another issue, one the club seems reluctant to address. Cox was also awful, but can Cameron survive alone? To be honest, I don't really have a problem not dropping AJ simply because whoever gets the job will be the one currently regarded as the best of bad alternatives. We don't have a CHF.

Yes Elliott was below par as he was most of the latter part of last year but that is another issue, one the club seems reluctant to address. Cox was also awful, but can Cameron survive alone? To be honest, I don't really have a problem not dropping AJ simply because whoever gets the job will be the one currently regarded as the best of bad alternatives. We don't have a CHF.
We don’t have a KPF, let’s be real. We are a team of stories. Might be the year we start feeling that one bite.

CHF: McInnes, Frampton.

(McInnes can’t be a midfielder).

Tall defender: Dean, Frampton, Begg?

Small: Harrison, Richards.

Ruck: Steene, Begg. Steene still developing, Begg easily beaten by VFL defenders. We know what happens when Cox plays VFL.

At what point do we start to make big decisions (eg. Elliott dropped).

Elliott had the most productive season of his career last year and whilst stats aren’t everything, his second half was more productive than the first.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back