Game Day Round 1 vs. Sydney, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 15/03

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah right. You got it in one. You're a real smart guy.
Can’t see what the rush is or why anybody would question him or his timing . He will decide when he’s ready. Until then he’s gradually preparing for a return. Until he says otherwise, that’s the status quo.

Not quite clear why you said my comment was PC, thought I was just making it clear it his decision and his timeline, and regardless of that the list is locked and loaded until the mid year.

Out: AJ, Markov

In: Howe, Reef

Don’t know why people are acting like Dean was in for Howe. We normally run Moore Murphy Howe together. Our structure was out of whack without Howe playing as that 3rd intercept medium/tall imo.

Reef in for AJ might be the only personnel change.

I think Fly will give Dean another game, but Moore need to play a more accountable style.

I think Cox stays in. While Cameron might be on the verge of busting out to be a #1 full time ruck, I'd prefer to see Cox in to try and minimise Grundy's influence.

McInnes is only 4 weeks older than Nick, a player entering his 3rd season.

Young talls take longer as we know so I'm not giving up on him.

The way I see it both him and Johnson had been neck and neck across the Summer until the last 2 games when Johnson was the preferred option.

Personally I don't think he has taken his opportunity and with a much younger forward option crying out for greater exposure at AFL level then it's time to give him an extended run at it.

Reef to me presents as someone still lacking faith in himself at AFL level, it's been part of his problem and while it'll be up to him ultimately to prove his worth he's never going to if we keep overlooking him. I sense if he can just put together one undoubtedly good performance then his confidence will grow and he's every chance of kicking on.

If I was a coach at Collingwood I would have been getting in his ear all Summer and telling him he'll get his opportunity based on his defensive work as much as goals kicked. If he can contribute at ground level with pressure acts and tackles like we'll see with a McCreery and Schultz consistently then suddenly he gives himself a genuine point of difference to Johnson and he'll leapfrog him in the pecking order.

Selection next week will be intriguing. Last season McRae would likely have stuck with the same 23 and backed them in.

I do think he is smart enough to know however that we need to keep one eye on our future with our aging list whilst also attempting to go back to back this season. I sense (or hope) he might well be genuine in his desire to balance the now with tomorrow and we see a change in how we manage our veterans this season.

Johnson and Cox were our clear worst on ground last night while Mitchell was subbed out of the game.

Outside of Pendlebury who is 87 years old Mitchell to me is the one veteran that I could imagine falling away this season in his productivity if he has dropped a yard of pace he could ill afford to lose. While he'll likely be selected again if continues to show signs of dropping away aerobically then someone like a Macrae who by all reports has increased his running capaciity this off seaon suddenly becomes a more attractive alternative.

Between the off season banter and his incident pre game Cox sure picked a poor night to have a stinker. Like Mitchell he'll probably survive at the selection table but I do see someone like Frampton as a viable choice as a 2nd ruck option so he'd want to make amends against Sydney.

Fair to say that if McRae were to drop 2 out of the 3 named above then we have a new Sheriff in town with new rules in 2024.

Out: AJ, Markov

In: Howe, Reef

Don’t know why people are acting like Dean was in for Howe. We normally run Moore Murphy Howe together. Our structure was out of whack without Howe playing as that 3rd intercept medium/tall imo.
Noble remaining as sub? Or someone else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assume Howe will be available, or at least hope he'll be available. Might be the only change.

IN: Howe.
OUT: Noble to one to make way for him.

Mitchell will be under pressure from Macrae I think.

No VFL this weekend does little to promote the case of those outside the 23 which is disappointing.

Assume Howe will be available, or at least hope he'll be available. Might be the only change.

IN: Howe.
OUT: Noble to one to make way for him.

Mitchell will be under pressure from Macrae I think.

No VFL this weekend does little to promote the case of those outside the 23 which is disappointing.

Very silly not to have a vfl game though they did train with the vfl side on Friday. There is a practice game next Friday afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very silly not to have a vfl game though they did train with the vfl side on Friday. There is a practice game next Friday afternoon

It’s not actually. All about load management and part of the training year.

It’s not actually. All about load management and part of the training year.

I would have thought the more practice games the better to build chemistry and cohesiveness with such a list turnover. But still have next week v port Melb

He has a history of these games, though. He was below his best against North (day summed up by his hospitalpass to Bobby), poor against Richmond, poor against GWS.
4-6 games in the seniors is what he needs to prove himself- if he doesn’t then it’s an easy decision.
He then goes back to VFL for an extended period.

With your approach, ( ie dropping him) lack of continuity will always be the excuse.

Coaches and conditioning staff have put a major effort into AJ and he has shown the requisite application - I can’t see them pulling the plug after one games.
If what you say is true, and no stone has been left unturned by both club and player to get him up to AFL standard, then both must be very disappointed with his 2 possession game against GWS. It's hard to see how he can be retained even one more game with those sort of stats and the lack of intensity and physicality he displayed.

4-6 games in the seniors is what he needs to prove himself- if he doesn’t then it’s an easy decision.

With your approach, ( ie dropping him) lack of continuity will always be the excuse.
His performance was so bad it warrants the stern option.

IN: Reef Howe Harrison Fin

Out: AJ Dean Elliot Mitchell
Cox should be out instead of Elliott. Was a tough night for the forwards, not helped by their poor conversion however. He goes hard all the time, and was a big reason why we had so many tackles in the forward half.

He played 15 games last year and didn't prove himself.

The decision is already easy.

IMO We were short a tall forward and a tall defender last night

Out: Johnson, Mitchell

In: Frampton to defence, McInness

Others to play more midfield minutes in lieu of Mitchell

Cameron/Cox to play inside 50 more

Will need all of Moore, Dean, Frampton down back as swans have Amartey, McDonald, McLean to mind

Would rather Maynard and Q match up on papley and Heeney when forward and generally marshal the backline in the absence of Howe (who I think misses again) and Murphy
I think Howe should play forward when he comes back and let Frampton Dean and Moore build chemistry for a sustained period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back