Preview Round 10 Sat Night at Etihad Vs Saint Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope not, I think Etihad will suit the way the young lad plays. Has good touch.

In - Symes
Out - Petrenko

Still not up to AFL standard, panics and gets caught with the footy too often. Wont happen, is Craigs golden boy.

I think he's been poor for most of the season. However, I thought he showed signs on the weekend in the midfield. We know he can also play defence and we certainly may need him as a matchup on Milne, so I would not take him out. I would bring out Cook or Edwards for Symes.

I get the feeling we may see a breakout game from Pets very soon.

I have a strange feeling Porps could also have a good game.

Have been named.....though I'm not sure what the current mod status is.
I'm sure you could tell us the average age of the players involved at least.

For all we know it could just be a 17-18 year old recruit that knocked up a 16 year old and this isn't even another rape case for saint kilda.

*edit* I'm not sure of the legal age in victoria to be considered statutory anyway.

There has been no suggestion that the sex was anything other than consensual. If the media's reporting is accurate, then the players would have a reasonable defence against charges of statutory rape, in that they genuinely believed that she was 18 years of age.

In all likelihood the only thing they really did wrong was not using protection. Their failure to do so is likely to land one of them with a paternal support bill until the child born of this union turns 18. It's certainly going to be a stressful time for these players, as they await the outcome of the police investigation and the DNA tests to determine the identity of the child's father.

There has been no suggestion that the sex was anything other than consensual. If the media's reporting is accurate, then the players would have a reasonable defence against charges of statutory rape, in that they genuinely believed that she was 18 years of age.
QUOTE]

Unfortunately not knowing the girl's age is not a defence in law. It may be considered as a mitigating factor by the magistrate or judge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can be even younger is you can prove you had grounds to believe she was 16 or older

Indecent act with child under the age of 16

47. Indecent act with child under the age of 16

(1) A person must not wilfully ; commit, or wilfully be in any way a party to
the commission of, an indecent act with or in the presence of a child under
the age of 16 to whom he or she is not married.

Penalty: Level 5 imprisonment (10 years maximum).

(2) Consent is not a defence to a charge under subsection (1) unless at the
time of the alleged offence-

(a) the accused satisfies the court on the balance of probabilities that
he or she believed on reasonable grounds that the child was aged 16 or
older; or

(b) the accused was not more than 2 years older than the child; or

(c) the accused satisfies the court on the balance of probabilities that
he or she believed on reasonable grounds that he or she was married to
the child.

(3) If consent is relevant to a charge under subsection (1), the prosecution bears the burden of proving lack of consent.

0-10 no consent.
10-15 Must be within 2 years age different witj consent
16-17 no issues so long as the accused isn't a guardian/teacher
18+ **** away.

or

http://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/745.htm

Quote:
Under 10 years old
If you are under 10, a person can't have sex with you or touch you sexually or perform a sexual act in front of you, even if you agree.

Ten to 15 years old
If you are 10 to 15, a person can’t have sex with you, touch you sexually or perform a sexual act in front of you if they are more than two years older than you, even if you agree.
However, it is not an offence if the person honestly believed that there was less than a two-year age difference between you. For example, if a person is 17 and has sex with someone who is 15, it is not a crime. But if the person was 18, it is a crime unless the person believed the person was 16.

Sixteen to 17 years old
A person who is caring for you or supervising you, like a teacher, youth worker or foster carer, can't have sex with you or sexually touch you or perform a sexual act in front of you, even if you agree, unless they are married to you. However, it is not an offence if the person honestly believed you were 18 or older.

The only issue being they first made contact at a school clinic....now does that classify af someone giving supervision?

That's the law for those under 16 (0-15). What's the law for those aged 16?

These are usually strict liability offences.

That is that the prosecution need only prove the act of thd crime not the intent.

However the defence of reasonable mistake of fact is still available as you originally asserted.

2nd section of my post. see 16-17.
Saw that after I posted.

The more I read about this, the more I'm convinced it's a storm in a teacup. The boys should have used condoms and one of them is going to wear the consequences as a result. I can't see there being any legal (criminal) issues for them if the information released so far proves to be accurate.

Saw that after I posted.

The more I read about this, the more I'm convinced it's a storm in a teacup. The boys should have used condoms and one of them is going to wear the consequences as a result. I can't see there being any legal (criminal) issues for them if the information released so far proves to be accurate.

I tend to agree, however there is the feeling in the back of my mind that doesn't easy with a person of influence and power sleeping with a 16/15 year old. It is alleged they met at a school footy clinic, which would make the players very much aware of her age.

I'm not sure if they should get charged or not, however I expect better, as it involves a minor.

I tend to agree, however there is the feeling in the back of my mind that doesn't easy with a person of influence and power sleeping with a 16/15 year old. It is alleged they met at a school footy clinic, which would make the players very much aware of her age.

I'm not sure if they should get charged or not, however I expect better, as it involves a minor.
As I understand it, she attended a footy clinic which the players were giving. The players have denied that they have any recollection of meeting her, which makes sense given the number of clinics they give each day and the number of kids attending each clinic. To them she'd be just one face amongst thousands.

There's no suggestion that anything happened as a result of the clinic, everything seems to have started after the R1 game against Sydney.

You are quite right, Wal E. My bad.

According to the newspaper article the players do not remember meeting her at the footy clinic. She told them she worked for the Institute of Sport in Canberra and that she was above the age of consent.
If that's all true, I feel sorry for the players, except that they were mugs not to use condoms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back