Autopsy Round 11, 2023 - Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

marge simpson GIF

I thought Williams was only so-so in actual play but he had 33 HOs v 8 HOs on Draper tonight.
I know Essendon fans have been talking up how good Draper has been looking in the last 12 months but in the actual ruck craft he was not up to it aginst our maligned (but developing) ruckman.

I also thought we ran in waves well during long periods of the game.
It was just those inside 50s that were hurting us at the end. Too many kicks to Essendon defenders (20 intercept marks for them).
Part of that was to do with Allen being, at times, our only legitimate forward 50 option. The less said about Rotham playing as a leading forward the better.
Then there were a number of goals that we should've scored from relatively easy set shots.
But, all that being said, it was still encouraging to see the lead up through the middle of the ground.

Also Yeo was a beast at some of the contests and just palmed off a number of players with absolute disdain. Gee I've missed him.
And both Hunt and Ginbey's work in traffic, particularly by hand, was great to see.

See all positives (except for Rotham).

Last edited:

On quality it didn’t feel like we were miles off them tonight, some bad skill errors and brain fades conceded goals in addition to some costly umpiring mistakes too. That, plus the last quarter fade out meant the score line flattered the Dons by the final siren.

We still have work to do and best case scenario was probably a 4-5 goal loss anyway but in isolation this performance is fine when you consider we had some promising form from young guns (Ginbey, Hough)

Jayden Hunt is a gun - surely this is career best form as I don’t remember him being this good. He may win our BnF.

Something that really stood out to me tonight was Hurn's ball use.

Earlier in the year he was bombing long down the line to a contest every time and it was getting predictable and stale. Today there seemed to be a clear drive from him to be more creative with his ball use and to take the game on a bit more.

Not sure whether if he's had some conversations with coaches about this in the last couple of weeks or whether it was just off his own accord, but I loved it. One of his best games of the season tonight.

Earlier in the year he was bombing long down the line to a contest every time and it was getting predictable and stale. Today there seemed to be a clear drive from him to be more creative with his ball use and to take the game on a bit more.

Not sure whether if he's had some conversations with coaches about this in the last couple of weeks or whether it was just off his own accord, but I loved it. One of his best games of the season tonight.
This was definitely noticeable. Also did more short kick then run to receive the handball and kick again then we usually get from him which was a treat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was great tonight. If he had even a serviceable left foot he’d be an even better player.

Very one sided and his leg speed can’t always get him out of the pickle where he would be better served using his left peg.

Edit - Sorry I read this as Hunt 🤦🏻‍♂️

Some positives for the first time in weeks

• Yeo. Keep this man healthy, will be important in our rebuild over the next 3 seasons
  • Ginbey, great game. Tough and hands great in traffic
  • Hough. Best game of 2023 and back to the promised of 2022. Smart footballer
  • Allen. Enough said.
  • BBBW....continue to improve
  • Foley...didnt mind is offensive game
  • I feel had Sheed, Kelly, Waterman and Barrass played there usual standard. Could of been closer
Negatives

• Defensive structure
  • Dumb turnovers
  • Momentum killers, continued clang who kill any fast movement (Gaff, Rotham, XON, Clark)
  • Gaff....have some self respect and just retired.

Hunt great. Hurn good which is fun. Hough nice too.

Williams very good, Draper is lucky that pushes in the back haven’t been outlawed yet because the campaigner couldn’t get a touch any other way.

Oscar Allen is a star.

Gaff done but we knew that. Yeo so useful, just worth so much more than we’d get for him surely.

Barrass forward for five seconds, Rotham forward/ruck, the clear willingness to run and carry or play on. Good. Tick.

A fairly normal and ‘competitive’ game of football by our standards, until it blew open at the end, but that was the best of the game style since we lost everyone in Round 3.

Not related to us but man it’s sad to see Tippa like that. Just looks so far off the pace.

didn't watch.

any more injuries?

Hopeful of more "cavalry" in coming weeks

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sheed had an ankle or shin thing early in the third but played on through it. LEdwards was an injured sub, unsure as to why but someone will tell us both soon.

Positives
  • Not having Darling in the team meant that Hurn's kicks had to go somewhere else. Not sure who is to blame there, but it so much better to watch.
  • Ginbey didn't have to play on ball.
  • Yeo didn't get injured
  • Sheed got injured in time for Shuey to return (his defensive running is like treacle, uphill)
  • Hunt played JJ's role terrifically
  • OA is a jewel amongst a lot of rubble
  • Bazzo and Hough looked a little more comfortable out there
  • we were twice as good as last week (50pt loss instead of 100pts).
  • we are a week closer to delisting Clark, O'Neill, West, Rotham, Waterman, Petch, Gaff and Foley

Sheed had an ankle or shin thing early in the third but played on through it. LEdwards was an injured sub, unsure as to why but someone will tell us both soon.
So Sheed will be out for the season.

Announcement: Wednesday

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back