Preview Round 13 2021 - North Melbourne v GWS Giants, 3.20pm @ Blundstone Arena, Sun 13 June

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Word late today that NM will be granted an exemption to travel to Tassie next Sunday would appear confirmation that this game will go ahead. And a preview can be written!

Early odds

GWS $1.30 NM $3.60

How the teams shape up

Up until the Rd 11 Lions match GWS had been in ripping recent form despite being ravaged by injury - especially to the tall defensive stocks. The Giants have arguably performed the best of all AFL sides with decent injury tolls and can now perhaps look to restoring some depth.

There is a chance that some or all of Greene, Kennedy, Perryman, Davis, Daniels, DeBoer, Hogan, Stein and Hutchesson could theoretically be available in some capacity this week. Although there will likely be caution shown with a few of those.

The Kangas are having a tough time of it this year with a win over the similarly languishing Hawks and running the out of form Pies to a close margin the only bright lights. The injury toll at Arden St is catastrophic and unlikely to improve any time soon. Most are serious long term injuries with only the sorely missed Robbie Tarrant a realistic chance to add to the ranks for the Hobart game.

Team strengths and weaknesses

Like Melbourne in many ways the Giants have looked a totally different side in 2021 playing with a level of intensity and desire rarely seen in last year's diabolical campaign. Every player who comes in seems to perform their role and the consistent performances of the rookies and near-rookies in Buckley, Flynn, Idun, O'Halloran, Cumming all performing vital tasks on a weekly basis has been amazing to watch. You do wonder how far they actually could have gone this year given a good injury trot.

Despite the injury carnage the Giants have kept a very settled midfield rotation with Hopper, Ward and Green leading the charge and this is where GWS have a marked ascendency this week.

North simply don't have the depth of midfield talent at present to throw different looks at the opposition and it's almost like Cunnington and Simpkin both need to have exceptional games for the team to be any chance. Jed Anderson is really missed for his hardness in there. Davies-Uniacke despite his talent still drifts in and out and it's really 2023-ish with he, Phillips-Powell-Horne (hopefully!) when North will really be able to take it to opposition midfields.

The Giants are light on in the tall defensive stocks but it really won't be an issue this round with 1) rain/cold forecast in Hobart all week meaning the ball will be on the ground for the majority and 2) North has literally one tall forward option in Nick Larkey - who's badly out of form. Zurhaar is finally starting to show some life and he'll be a bit of an awkward match up for Idun or Buckley so can't be taken lightly. Thomas is also in good nick kicking goals off half forward and again is a tricky match up.

With Tarrant a likely in and with Ben McKay having a terrific season North should be able to contain the likes of Himmelberg/Riccardi but will genuinely have no answer should Toby G take his place (see the way DeGoey terrorised the defence in the Pies game!).

Prediction

The relative inability for North to cover their injuries and greater midfield depth of the visitors swings this one GWS's way. Hopper had a big game down in Hobart in the corresponding 2019 fixture and he and Cal Ward should thrive in the expected conditions. As should Cunnington - who likely won't have DeBoer wearing him like a cheap suit this time - but a lot has to go right for the Roos to threaten here.

GWS by 25.

Word late today that NM will be granted an exemption to travel to Tassie next Sunday would appear confirmation that this game will go ahead. And a preview can be written!

Early odds

GWS $1.30 NM $3.60

How the teams shape up

Up until the Rd 11 Lions match GWS had been in ripping recent form despite being ravaged by injury - especially to the tall defensive stocks. The Giants have arguably performed the best of all AFL sides with decent injury tolls and can now perhaps look to restoring some depth.

There is a chance that some or all of Greene, Kennedy, Perryman, Davis, Daniels, DeBoer, Hogan, Stein and Hutchesson could theoretically be available in some capacity this week. Although there will likely be caution shown with a few of those.

The Kangas are having a tough time of it this year with a win over the similarly languishing Hawks and running the out of form Pies to a close margin the only bright lights. The injury toll at Arden St is catastrophic and unlikely to improve any time soon. Most are serious long term injuries with only the sorely missed Robbie Tarrant a realistic chance to add to the ranks for the Hobart game.

Team strengths and weaknesses

Like Melbourne in many ways the Giants have looked a totally different side in 2021 playing with a level of intensity and desire rarely seen in last year's diabolical campaign. Every player who comes in seems to perform their role and the consistent performances of the rookies and near-rookies in Buckley, Flynn, Idun, O'Halloran, Cumming all performing vital tasks on a weekly basis has been amazing to watch. You do wonder how far they actually could have gone this year given a good injury trot.

Despite the injury carnage the Giants have kept a very settled midfield rotation with Hopper, Ward and Green leading the charge and this is where GWS have a marked ascendency this week.

North simply don't have the depth of midfield talent at present to throw different looks at the opposition and it's almost like Cunnington and Simpkin both need to have exceptional games for the team to be any chance. Jed Anderson is really missed for his hardness in there. Davies-Uniacke despite his talent still drifts in and out and it's really 2023-ish with he, Phillips-Powell-Horne (hopefully!) when North will really be able to take it to opposition midfields.

The Giants are light on in the tall defensive stocks but it really won't be an issue this round with 1) rain/cold forecast in Hobart all week meaning the ball will be on the ground for the majority and 2) North has literally one tall forward option in Nick Larkey - who's badly out of form. Zurhaar is finally starting to show some life and he'll be a bit of an awkward match up for Idun or Buckley so can't be taken lightly. Thomas is also in good nick kicking goals off half forward and again is a tricky match up.

With Tarrant a likely in and with Ben McKay having a terrific season North should be able to contain the likes of Himmelberg/Riccardi but will genuinely have no answer should Toby G take his place (see the way DeGoey terrorised the defence in the Pies game!).

Prediction

The relative inability for North to cover their injuries and greater midfield depth of the visitors swings this one GWS's way. Hopper had a big game down in Hobart in the corresponding 2019 fixture and he and Cal Ward should thrive in the expected conditions. As should Cunnington - who likely won't have DeBoer wearing him like a cheap suit this time - but a lot has to go right for the Roos to threaten here.

GWS by 25.

I expect VFL HQ to again play COVID games with our travel as per vs Lions.

Further, playing conditions idiosyncratic in a Tasmanian winter.

Let’s hope we start well and don’t give North a sniff.

Welcome back Phil and MdB.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haynes Davis Kennedy
Ash Buckley Cumming
Kelly Ward Whitfield
Greene HH lloyd
Hill Flynn Finlayson
Mummy Hopper Tarranto

Green MDB Idun Riccardi
Sub: Reid

Perryman in next week and then Cogs, Daniels and Hogan back to take on the dees

Haynes Davis Kennedy
Ash Buckley Cumming
Kelly Ward Whitfield
Greene HH lloyd
Hill Flynn Finlayson
Mummy Hopper Tarranto

Green MDB Idun Riccardi
Sub: Reid

Perryman in next week and then Cogs, Daniels and Hogan back to take on the dees

I heard from a very good source this afternoon that TFG is back in next, not this, week.

Notwithstanding his being listed as a ‘test’, it seems to make a lot of sense not to take too many risks and spare him the trip.

I heard from a very good source this afternoon that TFG is back in next, not this, week.

Notwithstanding his being listed as a ‘test’, it seems to make a lot of sense not to take too many risks and spare him the trip.

Wouldnt be surprised if that was the case however we need to start winning and winning big to be any chance of finals.
Good to finally have some players coming back in instead of out

Haynes Davis Cumming
Ash Buckley Kennedy/Reid
Whitfield Hopper Kelly
Lloyd Finlayson Taranto
Hill HH Briggs
Flynn Ward Green

Idun DeBoer Riccardi XOH

Glad it isn’t same day.

Wow disappointing about Phil. We need him as we have no Taylor or Keefe.

He could still play but I have faith in Haynes, Buckley and Idun to look after Larkey and Zurharr but like always it depends on the midfield pressure and the quality of delivery for the inside 50s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phil said on the Footy Phil podcast this afternoon that he had a conversation with Leon last week and expects to be making his return “in the early game” this week.

The Phil news is slightly scary.

For all North’s challenges, I’m sensing some amber warning lights flashing over this game.

Further, we really need some percentage builder wins and this weekend is looking less promising by the day.

Leon really must get selection right for the weekend.

The Phil news is slightly scary.

For all North’s challenges, I’m sensing some amber warning lights flashing over this game.

Further, we really need some percentage builder wins and this weekend is looking less promising by the day.

Leon really must get selection right for the weekend.

What does right look like tho?

Congrats to Sam Reid on 100 games, presuming he makes the side. A remarkable story.

TWELVE years and nine months, four delistings, two clubs, 100 games. Sam Reid has taken more detours than most on the journey to his ton, but the Greater Western Sydney defender will finally reach the milestone when he lines up against North Melbourne on Sunday. Only six players in VFL/AFL history have had to wait longer than the 4671 days it will take from Reid's debut in round 22, 2008 to joining the 100 club, and none have waited longer in the past 93 years.

"[The milestone has] made me think about what my journey has been like, the resilience I've shown to have two years out of the game, come back, the injuries I've overcome, played with type 1 diabetes, I'm pretty proud of myself to be honest," Reid said. "I get satisfaction out of proving people wrong and Leon [Cameron] wouldn't mind me saying that I really wanted to prove him wrong. He was the one that came to me and said I might have limited opportunities. But when I came back, I wanted to give it a fair crack and six years later I'm still going around."

The 31-year-old has been on multiple one-year deals at the Giants except for a period where he had a two-year contract. Reid has used the uncertainty over his future as extra motivation throughout his career, though admits it has also meant plenty of anxious moments including late last year when he was the last Giants player to be offered a new deal. "I get delisted every three years because you have to come back on, so I've got a record there. That's part of my story and resilience and everything that I've shown," Reid said. "The way that I play and the role that I play in this team, as that shutdown defender who plays life or death footy, and tries to set the example there, I think [a one-year deal] keeps me on the edge. Every year I'm playing for another year and a contract. But living on the edge is what I do at the moment and I enjoy that because every game I have to treat like my last." Reid has only lined up in 10 matches or more in a season three times, all in the 2017-19 period when he played 60 games.

From the article it sounds like the club will be able to fly down on Saturday, which is good

From the podcast Phil said he would be playing reserves
I see North won't be allowed to fly down until the day of the game.

Clearly VFL HQ got their wires crossed here..... :D

Davis said on his podcast he is playing VFL this week.
Yeah, but I don't see why. Without Keeffe and Taylor, our backline is missing a primary KPD. Buckley has been great thus far this year, but realistically is a second or third tall. I'd have de Boer forward (he can kick a goal, but is also defensively strong) if he comes in rather than disrupt the midfield. Greene a cert - we need more goalkicking strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back