Preview Round 14 v Saints MCG Saturday June 17th 7.25pm - Cotchin 300th

Remove this Banner Ad

After being on the road for the last 2 weeks the Tigers finally return to the MCG to face the Saints on Saturday night in what will be a major celebration for Trent Cotchin 300th game.

Richmond head into the game with a bit of confidence and momentum off the back of back to back wins to seemingly get our season back on track, we will be looking to continue that charge with a win that not only gets us the 4 points, but also celebrates the career of Trent Cotchin.

Possible Line Up

B: Balta Grimes Young
HB: Short Vlastuin D.Rioli
C: McIntosh Taranto Ross
HF: Clarke Baker Cotchin
F: Ryan Riewoldt Martin
R: Nankervis Bolton Prestia
INT: Broad Ralphsmith Graham Banks
EMG: M.Rioli Nyuon Miller Brown

Out: Pickett (personal) Mansell (susp)
In: Banks (debut)

Again no big changes to the line up with Pickett coming out of the side due to personal reasons and Banks finally gets his debut after continued performances at VFL level. The stability and consistency in selection is allowing the players to settle into their roles and performing the way that McQualter and the coaches want them to. In terms of game style we're seemingly back to playing the high pressure, fast ball movement style that was a staple of our 2017-2020 seasons, however a big difference seems to be a clear desire to lower our eyes and hit up leading options rather than bombing it in on top of Jacks head. If you watch the game on Saturday night, you'll see moments where Jack uses his hands to signify that he wanted the ball in lower.

Another change that has become clear is that we've gone back to the midfield being Taranto Prestia Bolton Martin & Cotchin being the primary options in the centre square, while the likes of Baker & Short have been moved back to the flanks, with Short going to HB and Baker being moved to HF, with both pushing up into midfield with the play instead of actually playing as genuine midfielders. On the wings after a bit of rough start to the season both McIntosh & Ross seem to have found their groove and both are having an impact on the game by holding their width and giving us options coming out of D50

Up forward the last 2 weeks for Riewoldt have been a big improvement from his last effort at the MCG when many were calling for him to end his career ASAP. I believe that a discussion may have happened where Jack and McQualter have agreed that Jack can't play the role we were asking him to play where he sits under long high balls, but instead they are using Jacks smarts where he can find space to either take the uncontested mark or can lead into. Samson seems to be asked to do the grunt work and be the one who stands under the long high balls to provide a contest.

Down back we're looking very solid and able to withstand the opposition having a lot of F50 entries. I believe that the stability we have had down back for the past 4 has played a big part of this. It seems that we've found the right balance between defensive accountability and counter attacking and we are holding our structures much better as well.

Against the Saints we're going to have to be really switched on, as the Saints have shown that when they get the game on their terms they can restrict the opposition, however the Hawks showed that the Saints can be opened up with quick ball movement, and given the changes I mentioned above we could be in with a real chance against the Saints especially on the wide open spaces of the MCG.

Regardless of the result I think the game should be a good one, with a big crown on hand to celebrate Trents 300th and hopefully see the Tigers continue their mid season revival.

Last edited:

Think Young needs a spell in the two's.
Broad takes Owens
Balta takes King
Grimes takes Caminiti

If they bring Membrey in then maybe there's a role for Young but after his performance on the weekend, he needs to find form again.
He has time on his side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dont rate the aints. biggest failure/looser club in the history of the vfl/afl after the pies

they farrken lost to hawthorn the other week

rest whoever needs resting and we'll still win this

Last edited:
dont rate the aints. biggest failure/looser club in the history of the vfl/afl after the pies

Hawthorn are actually pretty decent for a team that's in the middle of a rebuild.

I remember Carl Ditterich say they (Aints) loved playing Richmond most of all.
What I can't remember is whether he said this before or after Balmey took his head off at the G in late 70s. (Right in front of me sitting seven rows back on the members wing).
Oh what a thing of beauty that swinging fist under his chin was

On SM-A426B using BigFooty.com mobile app

In: Banks, Coulthard, Sonsie
Out: Pickett, Young, Mansell

Broad.Grimes.Vlastuin
Short.Balta.Rioli
Kmac.Taranto.Ross
Graham.Riewolt.Ralphsmith
Dusty.Ryan.Baker
Nank.Bolton.Prestia

Cotchin.Clarke.Banks.Coulthard
Sub Sonsie