Preview Round 15, 2018: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG, Sunday 1st July, 1:10PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Demons

Votes: 79 71.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 31 28.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then get beaten worse and then richo cops it even worse. We have played plenty of young guys. There is no rush and there is no point of playing them all together and getting smashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah Weller , Armitage and Gilbert really would make a difference - come on Plugger get real

yeah Weller , Armitage and Gilbert really would make a difference - come on Plugger get real

Well Gilbert isn’t playing and we most likely lose to Gold Coast without armo. But it’s not about that. It’s about leaders on the ground telling them how to set up or hopefully stop run ons. There is more to game than just pick the kids.

And then get beaten worse and then richo cops it even worse. We have played plenty of young guys. There is no rush and there is no point of playing them all together and getting smashed.

You're just assuming they'll get beaten worse or get smashed. Only one way to find out if someone might just be a better footballer than Weller :rolleyes:.
I bet some Collingwood people assumed Stephenson was a skinny and sickly twig who would get smashed at afl level.

they are cooked spuds

It’s a simple game. play kids. Get smashed. Lose confidence. Never reach potential. I just don’t understand the rush to play kids all at once and they do need experience out on the ground to learn. Richo actually coaching may or may not be good but I think this year he has picked the right amount of kids at the right time.

You're just assuming they'll get beaten worse or get smashed. Only one way to find out if someone might just be a better footballer than Weller :rolleyes:.
I bet some Collingwood people assumed Stephenson was a skinny and sickly twig who would get smashed at afl level.

I haven’t stuck up for Weller. Wouldn’t have picked last game or this game. Just explaining why you pick some experienced guys. My ideal team wouldn’t have Weller or armo in it but you can’t drop armo after the last game. That side was picked to beat Gold Coast. Unfortunately for those wanting armo dropped he can’t on that performance.

Hasn't one of the big issues this year been on field leadership since Roo and Joey left?
Geary is captain so in. Armo is excellent with kids. Stood next to the Sandy dugout the other week. On field setting up the mids, off field, talking to all the players as they came off, yelling to Joyce to position him etc.
People who want just kids don't understand what the experienced players do for a team.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s a simple game. play kids. Get smashed. Lose confidence. Never reach potential. I just don’t understand the rush to play kids all at once and they do need experience out on the ground to learn. Richo actually coaching may or may not be good but I think this year he has picked the right amount of kids at the right time.

agree plugger but not playing those 2 a not going to make much difference.
My view play a team that matches up on other teams players - last week they played 3 tall key defenders when they should of played 2 - I would of liked Brown being dropped because he doesn't have the speed to match the Lynch type player.
This weeks team our half backs Savage and Geary - (both are not great defensively)- I would of liked one of Geary or Rice to be dropped due to match ups - of course they will not drop Geary so Rice goes out bring in Coffield or White to fill the other half back position.

Anyway just hope they play well whoever they pick - hope they all play well

My view play a team that matches up on other teams players - last week they played 3 tall key defenders when they should of played 2 - I would of liked Brown being dropped because he doesn't have the speed to match the Lynch type player.
This weeks team our half backs Savage and Geary - (both are not great defensively)- I would of liked one of Geary or Rice to be dropped due to match ups - of course they will not drop Geary so Rice goes out bring in Coffield or White to fill the other half back position.

I agree but I think geary is very good defensively but based on that I think that is why armo can play this week. Melbourne have a very good and deep midfield but they don’t have pace. If their mids win it will be ability but it won’t be pace.

And? Who said it was special. It was just silly because the side hadn’t even been named and I can’t remember people losing it over emergencies previously. So I didn’t lie. I accept your apology.

nah i rkn you're bein melodramatic and therefore lied. don't lie plugs, it's not becoming of you

Unfortunately I can see this being another demolition. If GC can get 39 points ahead of us just imagine what Melbourne will do.

Rapt for Joyce to get a debut hopefully his mate isn’t too far behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t stuck up for Weller. Wouldn’t have picked last game or this game. Just explaining why you pick some experienced guys. My ideal team wouldn’t have Weller or armo in it but you can’t drop armo after the last game. That side was picked to beat Gold Coast. Unfortunately for those wanting armo dropped he can’t on that performance.

Ah apologies then. I agree Armo was great I wouldn't drop him either. I just get frustrated seeing Weller week in week out not seemingly offering anything.

Geary is a good defender but limited in his ball use. I reckon we are still feeling the pressure to perform internal. We are playing a team that will run them close in the eyes of the club. Time will tell if they got it wrong.

It is now obvious that part of Armo's form problem was being played in the wrong position. But we do need someone to play forward, and now that Billings is further up the ground, that lessens those options further. We have the three talls plus Weller, Gresham and Newnes - we need one more in that rotation at least.

Joyce gets his chance and will probably play on Petersen, who has killed us the last two times out but is coming back into the side. Brown goes to McDonald and Carlisle floats, perhaps going with Hogan wherever he goes. We don't really have any "between" types in this week like a Roberton, Webster or Gilbert who can follow Hogan all over the ground.

So Joyce is getting a game - which is great - but who of Clark, Dunstan, Gilbo and Armo misses in that case?

Thought I would look at the key stats for these 2 teams

Melbourne are ranked #1 for contested possessions & StKilda are ranked #16
Melbourne are ranked #1 for contested marks & StKilda are ranked #16
Melbourne are ranked #1 for marks I50 & StKilda are ranked #15
Melbourne are ranked #1 for inside 50s & StKilda are ranked #11
Melbourne are ranked #1 for goal kicking accuracy & StKilda are ranked #17
I was thinking FMD at this point!

On a positive note (sarcasm in case you are wondering)
StKilda are ranked #2 for uncontested possessions, #3 for average disposals and surprisingly #4 for disposal efficiency
However....if long bomb not to advantage was kept as a stat we would probably be ranked #1

Pretty much sums up the year!
We don't win enough of the hard balls, we over-possess the ball, we don't take enough marks inside 50 and our goal kicking has been putrid.
Some of the above can be attributed to a lack of experienced players but some has to do with desire for the contest (get Stevie Baker in as a consultant) and inability to execute the game plan (not entirely sure what our game plan is but we must have one... we do have one don't we!)
Can't see us winning this game, but that said, the only predictable thing about StKilda is our unpredictability!

Attachments

• stats.JPG
    stats.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Anyway we will see how good this side is .
Richo playing his best side - might be a few changes after this week - if its a 100 point loss he is gone , if he wins he gets a extension.
He has a lot of faith in Armitage , Weller and Brown
Viney , Oliver, Brayshaw are not quick but are highly skilled and with Gawn feeding them it is going to be tough.

Want us to win , but the guys will have to play way better footy than what they have shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back