Preview Round 15, 2018: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG, Sunday 1st July, 1:10PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Demons

Votes: 79 71.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 31 28.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I would look at the key stats for these 2 teams

Melbourne are ranked #1 for contested possessions & StKilda are ranked #16
Melbourne are ranked #1 for contested marks & StKilda are ranked #16
Melbourne are ranked #1 for marks I50 & StKilda are ranked #15
Melbourne are ranked #1 for inside 50s & StKilda are ranked #11
Melbourne are ranked #1 for goal kicking accuracy & StKilda are ranked #17
I was thinking FMD at this point!

On a positive note (sarcasm in case you are wondering)
StKilda are ranked #2 for uncontested possessions, #3 for average disposals and surprisingly #4 for disposal efficiency
However....if long bomb not to advantage was kept as a stat we would probably be ranked #1

Pretty much sums up the year!
We don't win enough of the hard balls, we over-possess the ball, we don't take enough marks inside 50 and our goal kicking has putrid.
Some of the above can be attributed to a lack of experienced players but some has to do with desire for the contest (get Stevie Baker in as a consultant) and inability to execute the game plan (not entirely sure what our game plan is but we must have one... we do have one don't we!)
Can't see us winning this game, but that said, the only predictable thing about StKilda is our unpredictability!
I think you can sum up our year pretty simply. We can’t win the ball and we can’t win it back, it’s 2014 all over again. To be any sort of chance you need to be good at at least one of those things.

Thought I would look at the key stats for these 2 teams

Melbourne are ranked #1 for contested possessions & StKilda are ranked #16
Melbourne are ranked #1 for contested marks & StKilda are ranked #16
Melbourne are ranked #1 for marks I50 & StKilda are ranked #15
Melbourne are ranked #1 for inside 50s & StKilda are ranked #11
Melbourne are ranked #1 for goal kicking accuracy & StKilda are ranked #17
I was thinking FMD at this point!

On a positive note (sarcasm in case you are wondering)
StKilda are ranked #2 for uncontested possessions, #3 for average disposals and surprisingly #4 for disposal efficiency
However....if long bomb not to advantage was kept as a stat we would probably be ranked #1

Pretty much sums up the year!
We don't win enough of the hard balls, we over-possess the ball, we don't take enough marks inside 50 and our goal kicking has putrid.
Some of the above can be attributed to a lack of experienced players but some has to do with desire for the contest (get Stevie Baker in as a consultant) and inability to execute the game plan (not entirely sure what our game plan is but we must have one... we do have one don't we!)
Can't see us winning this game, but that said, the only predictable thing about StKilda is our unpredictability!
Good post. Some pretty damning stats in there for sure.

Our boys are playing for their future in the 2nd half of the season... whether they realize that or not.
Some we are playing defs won't be there in 2019.

Last edited:
I might be on my own here but I want us to win more games this year.

Pick the best 22.

If a senior spud is the best option right now, pick him.

Weller will surely help us. He's been lighting it up for a couple of seasons now.
Ditto Giblet and Brown. Add in Armo for lol's. Captain Geary is the icing on our Warrier cake.

don't worry we have Weller, Armitage in the team - they are game winners
Strange to categorise those two together. Armo is a bloody good player at times and has had big games even this year.. injuries have slowed himit seems. Weller is average as.

I have been staying a kick behind play lately, but i thought Connellin was the Irish lad that was doing all the right things at Sandy, then up pops Joyce.

Hmm maybe i missed something or as usual i know nothing, but all the best to him on his debut...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only reason I want senior players is that they might not be in the form but they provide valuable leadership for our young players.

I get that we need to get games into players but if we play them all at once, only thing that will happen is they be lost animals in a open field. A quiet Jack Steven isn't going to lead a young brigade.

We already have Roberton out. Webster now as well. Geary HAS to come in.

Only reason I want senior players is that they might not be in the form but they provide valuable leadership for our young players.

I get that we need to get games into players but if we play them all at once, only thing that will happen is they be lost animals in a open field. A quiet Jack Steven isn't going to lead a young brigade.

We already have Roberton out. Webster now as well. Geary HAS to come in.
The backline looks like having geary, brown, Carlisle & savage... I don't think it's really playing all the young guys at once.

Not sure why white was dropped in the first place and Austin could really do with more experience against quality opponents instead of going back to sandy.

Final team

In Geary & Joyce Out Webster and Austin
  • Interchange
  • 7 Luke Dunstan
  • 11 Hunter Clark
  • 20 David Armitage
  • 39 Darragh Joyce
  • Emergencies
  • 19 Sam Gilbert
  • 34 Nathan Wright
  • 42 Lewis Pierce
  • 45 Ben Paton

EDIT - Joyce is listed at 194 cm and 90kg's. He's tough and hard at it so I wonder whose spot he could fill into the future. Lets keep an eye on his kicking on Sunday

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=16&type=A&pid1=6311&pid2=1639&fid1=S&fid2=S

Last edited:
Why would Wright be in the frame at all? Is nowhere near AFL level and doesn't sound like he's doing much at Sandy.

Well, I gave myself 10/10 for obscure literary reference on a Footy Forum.
Now go look in a mirror and give yourself an uppercut for being a 10/10 dick :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back