Review Round 15, 2023 - St. Kilda vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against St.Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hipwood’s game wasn’t just good, it was mature. He made good decisions with and without the ball. He knew when halving the contest was all he needed to do. He found acres of space several times because he understood the Saints’ defensive pattern and picked his time to move. They were clearly thinking they had him covered and are a well drilled defensive unit regardless of individual skill. He actually made them look at each other in confusion a couple of times.

He will have a tougher time next week against the likes of Grimes and Vlaustin. But he is hopefully confident enough now that he can hold even very solid defenders accountable.
I reckon Gunston probably deserves a fair bit of credit for this. From what I hear he's basically already in the role as our "space in the forward line" coach.

Also I think Murray Davis also deserves a lot of credit for having him focus more on the defensive side of the game, and be okay with not needing to be a flashy hero all the time.

10 goals in 3 weeks, 8 of them in Melbourne, 4 of them at the MCG. Famous last words but I never thought I'd be using the word "consistency" in association with Eric Hipwood. Great to see.

I ended up enjoying the game. Loved the way we went about it. I know I critisize him a fair bit but Oscar was great in the marking contests when he knew he had the mismatch, I wish I could say the same thing about when he had the mismatch in the ruck. He did the right thing taking the ball out of the ruck etc, but then blazing away and giving the ball back to the oppo was infuriating. In that situation, either the mids need to run past for a handball or he needs to make sure he hits a target. There was no point in giving straight back to the Saints.
I thought we made some really good changes in how we approached our i50s by looking for targets and trying to move the their defence so we could get a player in space.
Payne was brilliant, he and Andrews are making a great team.
I don't think we drop Fletcher unless his form warrants a run in the two's, he is playing much better than I thought he would and he is only going to get better.
I don't think Fort as the sub was a good move, I get why we do it but I don't think we need to. With Zorko presumably coming back this week I would either make him or Kai the sub.
I have long been a fan of us dropping to a 2 man tall forward line and I think there was some improvement in the way our forward line operated because of that.
I know Fort has been sub previously, noticed Fages said in presser that they were not sure if Payne would be right, so perhaps a tall sub was insurance.
Fletcher is going much better than I thought at this stage and hope he keeps getting some games, as with young blokes his form may drop and then perhaps he is rested
We can have two tall forwards as Cam with his leap is virtually a third tall.

Seems as though the broad sentiment is that we prefer the 2 tall setup rather than 3. To me, it looked more or less how I thought it might. For two and a half quarters we conceded many more intercept marks in our front half than we had in recent weeks, but we countered that by covering the field much better in defence. This forced St Kilda long down the line and Harris Andrews had a night out.

Then we subbed Kai out for Forty, suddenly we looked slow and struggling to cover that ground, and St Kilda started to get through and around us. Was this caused by fatigue or the change to our structure? I'm suggesting a bit of both. On the flip side, I don't recall too many (or any) intercept marks against us in our front half after Fort came on. But our forward line did seem to become more open, which is a bit of a double edged sword, and more often than not it seemed to allow St Kilda more time and space to run the ball out.

I've always been an advocate for the 3 tall setup, and while I'm willing to be proven wrong, I'm not yet ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Fort's had a couple of games now... I'd like to see Tom Fullarton given a crack in his place. He'll be able to cover the ground much better, and on the basis that Fort has taken 1 mark both games combined, I don't think we'll lose that much aerially. I'd like to see him start against Richmond, and then play him as the sub against West Coast. Similar to how we played Fort these last 2 games.

One thing that hasn't been discussed here is the number of times our guys got caught holding the ball. It seemed we fell into the trap of trying to find the perfect option instead of doing what we were all taught as youngsters: give the first option. On Friday night tho I thought we made a number of relatively straightforward scoring opportunities look almost impossible due to this.

I must admit I hadn't really noticed this as an issue in previous games... Indeed, a few of us (not me so much) have often complained about our hurried kicks forward to nobody in particular, which I guess is right at the other end of the decision-making spectrum.

This makes me wonder if the two issues were related: we realised we had a shorter forward line, which meant we weren't able to dump kick the ball forward so freely.

So I guess I haven't been overly convinced by our ability to generate strong scoring opportunities in recent games either with the 3 tall or 2 tall setup, and there probably hasn't been a great deal of difference either way in terms of scoreboard impact.

Essentially, the way Friday's game panned out, I see the 2 tall setup as a relatively conservative option. We concede that we will turn the ball over more often via intercept marks, but we're gonna counter that by being better in defending their resulting ball movement.

On the other hand, the 3 tall setup is more aggressive: we're backing our big men to create a better contest, and then we're backing the smalls we have to apply enough pressure to lock the ball in our forward line. On the flip side, we concede that if the opposition are able to get through that first line of defence, we'll find it harder to defend their ball movement given we have fewer mobile players. Risk vs reward.

That's why I'd like to see Fullarton come in for Fort; this might help determine whether it's personnel or structure which is persuading many of us that the 2 tall setup is the way to go.

Back