Preview Round 15, 2023 - St. Kilda vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could also bring Rayner's marking ability into the game more.

Absolutely. He's basically been a speccy taking fourth tall and not a focal target. Realistically outside of 6-6-6 it will likely be Rayner and one of the other talls competing for a mark while the other players higher. Bring it to ground and the small fleet plus third tall Rayner will be an incredibly high pressure outfit. Hell, even Hipwood is the best pressure key forward and the league this year which can't be underrated!

Why isn't James Madden in the side, I am disappointed and flabbergasted.
753123.gif

Seriously I see Rayner as one of those guys who can come from nowhere and take a screamer but I don't see him as any marking target at all on anything I've seen.

He's a burst/impact player. Sure he can take a grab but he's had plenty of opportunities to take consistent marks throughout his career and haven't really seen it yet.
No need to get gloomy mate.

Maybe he'll lead and present and take some strong marks otherwise. But I don't think that'll ever be a feature of his game. What we lack is a strong marking target . Especially down the wings. I just thought Fort was a no brainer against this opposition at Marvel where you can get it deep quickly . And Oscar has done well there marking wise if he's rested.

Seriously I see Rayner as one of those guys who can come from nowhere and take a screamer but I don't see him as any marking target at all on anything I've seen.

He's a burst/impact player. Sure he can take a grab but he's had plenty of opportunities to take consistent marks throughout his career and haven't really seen it yet.
Yet he plays a role that is not used that way.
He has taken some screamers this year.
With the team we have picked for tomorrow night, it could be Taylor made for him.

Because he’s not really ever been given that role, of course he’s not leading and taking marks as a mid/fwd. That’s like saying “Jack Payne could never be a forward because he doesn’t kick many goals”, yeah no duh.

I will say he was a decent pair of hands in his time in defence at the start of the year, I remember him saving a few goals on the goal line as clean marks.

Maybe he'll lead and present and take some strong marks otherwise. But I don't think that'll ever be a feature of his game. What we lack is a strong marking target . Especially down the wings. I just thought Fort was a no brainer against this opposition at Marvel where you can get it deep quickly . And Oscar has done well there marking wise if he's rested.
Are you Jekyll or Hyde?

Because he’s not really ever been given that role, of course he’s not leading and taking marks as a mid/fwd. That’s like saying “Jack Payne could never be a forward because he doesn’t kick many goals”, yeah no duh.

I will say he was a decent pair of hands in his time in defence at the start of the year, I remember him saving a few goals on the goal line as clean marks.
Maybe. That's a huge difference to being a forward marking target where you're the one being pressured.

I just think the longer the game goes the better off you are with a big marking target up forward. You see it every week ,the second pinner ruckman kicking a goal or two in the last quarter.

Well, this is 2 weeks in a row that contained a little surprise.
I agree with a few posters that Fort is the likely sub this week. Nearly a certainty, i think.

How Oscar is used will be interesting.
He will need bench time as resting forward in the modern game is not really a rest.
They could go radical and just park him in the full forward area like the old days. A two-minute stint each time should be enough.
Gets a rest but his opponent will be free to roam up the ground. Doing this is a risk for both teams but might work for us.
Jo gets ruck relief and i think Hippy does more forward 50 ruck contests.
Or Oscar could do the 2minutes on the bench each time but sometimes you can't get back on the ground.

The selections make us a faster team, but we will need to lower our eyes going inside 50 especially when Jo is the ruck relief.
Rayner and Lohmann are both good marks although a little undersized.

It is an important game. We win and go two games clear of the Saints, but a loss has us equal on premiership points.

A bit of pressure for Lohmann & Fletcher to again perform well. Good to see they get two games in a row.
Fringe players need to keep performing or they find themselves back in the VFL.

Like the younger, faster, gut running side, looking forward to us running the Saints off their feet.... incoming percentage booster.
We might have picked faster and better runners, but I very much question if a lot of our smaller player can gut run. And I very much doubt we'll run the Saints off their feet. As a team, we're noticeably a poorer running team than most oppositions we play.

However one noticeable difference is that many teams out run us for the first half, apply more pressure, etc, but drop off in the second half, where as we just keep on going at the same pace the whole game, until we try and shut the game down in the last quarter.

Well, this is 2 weeks in a row that contained a little surprise.
I agree with a few posters that Fort is the likely sub this week. Nearly a certainty, i think.

How Oscar is used will be interesting.
He will need bench time as resting forward in the modern game is not really a rest.
They could go radical and just park him in the full forward area like the old days. A two-minute stint each time should be enough.
Gets a rest but his opponent will be free to roam up the ground. Doing this is a risk for both teams but might work for us.
Jo gets ruck relief and i think Hippy does more forward 50 ruck contests.
Or Oscar could do the 2minutes on the bench each time but sometimes you can't get back on the ground.

The selections make us a faster team, but we will need to lower our eyes going inside 50 especially when Jo is the ruck relief.
Rayner and Lohmann are both good marks although a little undersized.

It is an important game. We win and go two games clear of the Saints, but a loss has us equal on premiership points.

A bit of pressure for Lohmann & Fletcher to again perform well. Good to see they get two games in a row.
Fringe players need to keep performing or they find themselves back in the VFL.
The more I think about it and just reading your post I don't understand at all why they wouldn't play Fort here.

But I still think they're not going at all well enough to really trouble us. Unless we revert back to our not interested days like 2 weeks ago.

The more I think about it and just reading your post I don't understand at all why they wouldn't play Fort here.

But I still think they're not going at all well enough to really trouble us. Unless we revert back to our not interested days like 2 weeks ago.
Kai Lohmann to have a day out is my tip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you just tell yourself there is no need to get gloomy?

Only evidence of it was the sydney game last year where he had to play as the third tall with Joe subbed off. He contested well but wasn't really a marking threat (but did kick 3 maybe?).

Only evidence of it was the sydney game last year where he had to play as the third tall with Joe subbed off. He contested well but wasn't really a marking threat (but did kick 3 maybe?).
He's one of those guys with enormous potential to do anything in the game but as time passes I see him as a lethal high impact/small burst type player when things go well , icing on the cake in a strong team.

To his credit when we're struggling he's the one guy who actually busts his gut to turn things around with heroic acts.

He's still young so not discounting that he could get it more often more consistently but until he does it he is what he is. Which is still ok.

With that much effort I can only take it that ZoBlitz is assuming Ross isn't fired before he can reuse it next year
I expect AI to improve its meme technology by next year so it won't be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back