Round 16 - Frankston v Box Hill, 15 July 2012, 2.00pm @ Frankston Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Box Hill's second consecutive game away from home sees the Hawks travel down the Nepean to Frankston Oval to play the Dolphins on their home patch.

frankston-vs-bhh.gif

One of two stand-alone clubs in the VFL, the Dolphins have endured a tough time of it this season, chalking up only a win and a draw so far this season and were smashed at home by the Northern Blues last weekend to the tune of 48 points.​
However, the Hawks were humbled by the Cats last weekend and must be wary of the Dolphins on their home patch as the Hawks look to shore up a spot in the finals (Box Hill goes into the round eighth on percentage ahead of North Ballarat).​
The development squad kicks off proceedings at 11.00am.​
I won't be in attendance (and I suspect not many Box Hill Hawks will either) given the clash with the Bulldogs v Hawthorn game.​
Teams to follow...​

I hope both teams play a fair bit better than their last outing. In fact based on this year and the NB and NB results the development squad would have to be odds on to lose. They are far too good for the rubbish they have been dishing up reasonably regularly this year. Hopefully last week will see a turn around in attitude and wins will become the norm

They surely can't put up an effort as bad as last week's again. Depending on team selections, we may see a Murphy or a Cheney back? Possibly even Adam Pattison? I expect a much better showing against the Dolphins, even on their home patch.

I'd like to see a few more Development Squad kids get a run in the seniors, possibly over the likes of Kelly, Litherland & Hallahan. Ironically, three players who didn't get many opportunities last season, Leigh Kitchen, Dylan Van Unen & Jackson Sketcher, all left for more opportunities with Frankston and should line up against us on Sunday. All have been impressive in 2012.

Two to keep on eye on are Khan Haretuku & Kyle Martin. Both likely draft picks.

Box Hill Hawks
B Duryea Gilham Kelly
HB Cheney Boumann Litherland
C T. Murphy Savage Hill
HF Smith Muston Frank
F Lowden Pattison Pratt
R Bailey
RR Hallahan
R Schneider
Int Gilchrist Hughes Johnson
Tobin Northe Graham* Thompson
Lock Jones Purcell X. Murphy Fagan Cust

Pattison, Bailey, Hughes & Muston in. I don't understand how Andrew Boseley was dropped to the DS.
No Wanganeen, Bruce or McCauley for reasons unknown. Still no Bateman or Langford.

Pattison, Bailey, Hughes & Muston in. I don't understand how Andrew Boseley was dropped to the DS.
No Wanganeen, Bruce or McCauley for reasons unknown. Still no Bateman or Langford.

Wang looked like he was with the rehab staff at training during the week.

Bruce and McCauley did train.

Bateman and Langford look close to resuming. Perhaps another week.

Development squad

B: Johns Wilsen Pollard
HB: Boseley Grimley Wood
C: Purcell Phelps Gilchrist
HF: Ralph Fagan Lawlor
F: Scott Gordon Tobin
Foll: Post Cust Northe
I/C (from): Grenda Salopek Otten O'Brien Barnes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Sam Grimley good enough overhead to be a key position option? From the (admittedly) little I've seen of him, he doesn't appear to have many tricks beyond some amazing mobility for a man of his size. If we keep him on for 2013, which wouldn't surprise me, he would go into season four coming off some regular VFL reserves footy. I hope they continue to try him in other positions.

Enough blokes on the bench for a third team.They need some consistency but more than that they need some passion. Skills and passion will see both teams way up the ladder by season end. Play for the team not to get promoted. These blokes could get a least a prelim and a granny if they want it. Do they?

Just realised that some, or all, of Bruce, Wanganeen & McCauley may have missed out on selection due to the VFL's rules on AFL listed players against non-aligned sides like Frankston.

Just realised that some, or all, of Bruce, Wanganeen & McCauley may have missed out on selection due to the VFL's rules on AFL listed players against non-aligned sides like Frankston.
Wierd rule I was not aware of that.

Enough blokes on the bench for a third team.They need some consistency but more than that they need some passion. Skills and passion will see both teams way up the ladder by season end. Play for the team not to get promoted. These blokes could get a least a prelim and a granny if they want it. Do they?

To be honest, I see Box Hill going out in the first week of the finals like they did last season. I think where Box Hill is currently situated is a fair reflection of its season to date - beat up on the poorer sides but get thrashed by the top teams. Box Hill is the definition of 'average'.

Probably a fair comment but I just think it doesn't have to be that way. I could pose a question or two. Are the Hawthorn reserves not as good as other teams? Are the BH senior players not as good as other teams? Should younger blokes get pushed up? Did the big loses of players from last year hurt too much? Do the players want it enough? Is the game plan right?
I do not have the answers but to me these needs to be a little soul searching right about now because otherwise it is going to be a short season

Probably a fair comment but I just think it doesn't have to be that way. I could pose a question or two. Are the Hawthorn reserves not as good as other teams? Are the BH senior players not as good as other teams? Should younger blokes get pushed up? Did the big loses of players from last year hurt too much? Do the players want it enough? Is the game plan right?
I do not have the answers but to me these needs to be a little soul searching right about now because otherwise it is going to be a short season

I think that directions from Hawthorn's coaches as to how and where players should be played has a lot to do with it. Carroll is coaching with one arm tied behind his back and the selection committee are forced to play players in positions they ordinarily wouldn't.

Hawthorn also has taken on a lot of young projects in the past couple of years (Wanganeen, Schneider, Boseley, Hallahan, Kelly, Litherland, Frank, Lowden, Grimley) which take time to mature and become used to VFL footy. We've seen Wanganeen and Schneider in particular blossom this season, but when you see Port Melbourne load up with the best collection of footballers not listed on an AFL list, the distinction is quite stark.

The player turnover year on year also doesn't help. I think Box Hill has been fortunate to retain Muston and Mirra over the last couple of years (even though Muston hasn't played a heap of footy) but the constant arrivals and departures makes it difficult to bed down a style of play. Having said that, this is the lot of a VFL club and Box Hill certainly isn't immune to it.

Agree it must be difficult but as a part of the Hawthorn setup I would presume some input.

On to a better topic the releases to local footy give some clarity to the teams to play tomorrow. Assuming there are a few emergencies kept for Sunday the teams look pretty good on paper and I look forward to two strong wins over the Dolphins

Big fan of Boseley, Grimley, not so much. Great to see Shaun Pollard in for his first game of the year.

Pollard is a deceptive selection.
Retired at end of last year.
Box Hill just playing coy selecting him against his old side :rolleyes:

Got excited to see Bateman selected in the BP for development game only to see it was for the Dolphins :(

And the Hawthorn connection stops the forwards from the development squad moving up I presume. Situation gets a bit clearer but mind you the development squad has its own midfield issues with disposal adn entry into the forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back