Review Round 18: Freo Defeats GWS by 21 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We're still a fair way off it. Skills are poor, too many turnovers, too many goals missed. Otherwise, good debut from Weller. A Pearce looks like he could be anything. Sonny kicks another four goals. Pav's form continues apace. Good to win without Nat in the side.

- We can always trust Mundy and Hill
- Forward line still in trouble
- A.Pearce was an interesting experiment forward, he needs more time down there but I think it's safer to keep him back for now.
- Dawson looked lost at times.
- Sandilands marking :thumbsu:
- Good effort by MDB, really needs full games to get started. He's not an effective sub.
- Weller looks promising, definitely needs to start next week.
- Walters needs to stop acting and have more second effort attempts. Sick of seeing him look at the umpire after most contests while his man and the ball is going past him.
- Sutcliffe honestly needs to be dropped. He's too weak, lazy and always trailing his opponent.

we dominated territorily but our final finishing and turnovers was to a lower standard. midfield won the battle without fyfe so tick! alex pearce got experience up forward and was serviceable so tick! Dawson added some steel, structure and physical presence and allowed Pearce to go forward so tick! shame he will get suspended. the rucks were excellent, Sandi dominant and Griffen did his role so tick! Mayne battled through an early injury to hit the scoreboard so tick! got through without any noticable longer term injuries so tick! won first 3 quarters but to lose the last was a tad dissapointing, but 15-2 (while not in best form) is the biggest tick! we dont look to have the top end talent spread to win a flag but we are going to give ourselves a crack so top marks to Ross and the team's effort

What was with AP's ball drop during his first 2 set shots for goal? It was a completely different action to his field kicks. Hopefully that was just a bit of nerves. He sure can win a ground ball though, better than Tabs in that department.

Positives:
- A.Pearce as a forward. Loved the intent, mobility and marking. Get the same confidence into his goal kicking as his field kicking and he could be a 40 goal+ a year forward. Get him that 5 year deal. NOW.
- Weller. Just a smooth mover, looks like a quicker Mundy.
- Walters in the goals.
- Griffin providing structure.
- McPharlin turning back the clock.
- Won all the key stats.
- Won without Fyfe.

Negatives:
- A.Pearce subbed. BOO!
- Walters playing for free's. BOO!
- Neale had a stack of touches and seemed to do nothing.
- MDB provided nothing in my eyes, bring Weller in and have the Gu as Sub.
- Dawson was average...... But it was his first game back.
- Goal kicking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives:
- We won
- Alex Pearce kicked his first goal
- Weller 8 touches in the time he had and used it well. Crowd cheered every time he had it
- Stephen Hill and David Mundy - all class, don't know where we'd be without them.
- Sheridan did some good things
- Walters - wish he kicked 5 though

Negatives
- Goal kicking
- Ball use was sloppy.
- Zac Dawson, ugh. I'm not even a Zac hater but that was a shithouse game. I know it was only his first game back but he wasn't doing much right all game and will probably now be suspended.
- Thought de Boer and Mzungu were turnover merchants as per usual
- Crozier probably didn't do enough
- Walters playing for frees and doing a Joel Selwood - looking at the ump looking for a free when he should be focusing on the game.
- Were we targeting Jeremy Cameron? We beat the s**t out of him..not sure if like.

Overall, will take an ugly win anyday. I firmly believe we will start to hit our straps soon either next week or the derby. I hope so anyway!

Positives:

-A.Pearce showed way more than Tabs. He just has a natural hunger for the contest, which I think Tabs lacks and if you are going to make it as a forward you need to have a natural aggression.

-Walters - Extremely dangerous around goals. He still ducks his head a bit too much for my liking.

-Weller - Looks like a good player in the making. First game nerves, but he showed he can play with composure and make good decisions.

Negatives:

-Disposal was horrendous. I thought we would have learned our lesson from last week, but it seems we haven't. Turnover city! A decently skillful side does not shank it as much as we did.

-Entries to inside 50 are shocking. We just lack the finesse to hit that final player up for a shot at goal.

-We didn't kick over a 100 points which should be the benchmark for our team.

-Dawson with the people's elbow.

Anyone else get excited and think A.Pearce could of been on track to kick 3 or perhaps more? Him getting the red still confuses me.

Positives: A.Pearce forward and L.Weller

Negatives: D.Pearce and whoever coaches our 'open' ball movement (too many players converging on one another instead of spreading)

Very disappointing performance.

Good to see Weller debut and Pearce play forward and really give us an option, but otherwise it was crap.

We were lucky the umps gave us a few breaks and GWS were even worse than us!

Subbing A Pearce was crazy, apart from the two poor kicks at goal he played very well up forward. Didn't deserve that red vest one bit.

Our field skills are terrible, but credit to the team's effort cleaning up each others mess.

Weller showed a bit in his first game, hopefully he remains in the team for a bit longer so he can settle in.

Positives:

Pleasantly surprised to see Alex Pearce play forward, and he was pretty good.
Hill was great.
Barlow and Neale stepping up in Fyfe's absence
Weller looks like he has some skills.
No injuries.

Negatives:

Zac Dawson's brain snap will probably get him 2 weeks.
Our goalkicking is shocking.
Subbing off Pearce: WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back