Preview Round 22, 2018: St Kilda v Hawthorn, 18 August 2018, 7.25pm @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an opinion, but I'm presenting it as a fact.

There is no chance in hell that Roughead finishes his AFL career at a club not named Hawthorn.

Rough wouldn't want to. Clarkson would never trade him. I believe Roughead, or at least his story, is a key component to the heart of this team - the team Clarkson wants. Regardless of how he's playing, he's a beacon of determination and desire for success for the group as a whole.

He's a hawk.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

He’s the only guy left who pre-dates Clarko

Give Pitto and Nash get another game against a bottom 4 side.

Either give Roughie another week to get his ankle tip top or give someone with a slight niggle a week.

This should be a massive win if we are switched on.
Agree. Give Rough another weeks rest. Great opportunity also to continue building our forward structure.

Reckon we might rest Burgoyne. He is crucial to the Swans game, and to our chances in finals. Last chance to rest him.

He was playing 80%+ game time before the hammy and has played 60%, 68% and 69% in the three games since his return, which suggests all is not right, or concerns re workload-related recurrence.

Pretty amazing to lead the tackles with 13 (next best Shiels with 9, Ablett & Worpel with 8) when only playing two-thirds of the game.

Spot on, this is a great point. This is the week to rest a couple - Burgoyne and Roughead at least.

Gives Nash another game, and allows a couple of ins if anyone is ready.

We obviously need to win, and you don't want to get too cute. But would be nice to give Burgoyne a rest, he always puts in pretty hard against the Swans, and he spent a lot of petrol against the Scats.

Reckon we might rest Burgoyne. He is crucial to the Swans game, and to our chances in finals. Last chance to rest him.

He was playing 80%+ game time before the hammy and has played 60%, 68% and 69% in the three games since his return, which suggests all is not right, or concerns re workload-related recurrence.

Pretty amazing to lead the tackles with 13 (next best Shiels with 9, Ablett & Worpel with 8) when only playing two-thirds of the game.

To be honest i thought the same of mitchell hodge and lewis.

But fully agree that rough should finish his time at the hawks.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think it's the same as those three.

Technically Hodge retired as a Hawk.

This is not meant to be dig at Mitch but I see him as an opportunistic businessman type personality. I regard him as one the best Hawks I've ever seen (best Hawk since 2000 imo), but I don't think he carries the same weight, talisman-wise, as Rough. For the opportunity his trade to WC afforded him, as well as where Hawthorn were at the end of 2016, I think it was an intelligent call.

Lewis is probably the closest to a Rough trade situation. The only argument I could offer is that Lewis was at an age/condition where he could offer a club at least a few more years of service. (Obviously Clarkson and co weren't as convinced :() I don't think Rough is in that condition. I don't really know what my point is with this one :p

If that's the case, give him continuity then.

Didn't realise there was a break pre-finals this year. What is this, the friggin' NFL?

Burgoyne plays even if they manage him to 50% game time / can’t just shut him off then on again while fit —not sure where this all is not right nonsense is coming from. He was enormous against the Cats

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lovell just hasn’t lifted all year. CJ overtaking him on form is bad news for him. Great news for CJ though.

Can we play CJ agains the saints - just to troll the competition and distract them from the fact we are sort of now contenders

(if you think about it with the injuries Port have sustained - the Eagles without Gaff Nic Nat and Kennedy - the Giants are without Greene and now Shaw.......

If that's the case, give him continuity then.

Didn't realise there was a break pre-finals this year. What is this, the friggin' NFL?

You realise this is the 3rd year in a row it’s happened?

The real question is. Does Howe come back in? My answer is no. He’s lost his spot in the 22 on the form the players are in. Howe wasn’t showing great form before his suspension either.

Howe fills an important defensive role in the midfield that releases Shiels. That said - I think Schoey and Ceglar are too important to our current structure to drop them. Sicily would come in for Brand, McEvoy would knock Whitey out and Howe is unlucky.

Worpel and Miles being dropped for Howe would make me angry. I’m a fan of Howe - but those two have earned their spots now.

Can we play CJ agains the saints - just to troll the competition and distract them from the fact we are sort of now contenders

I'd be open to playing him simply because this is the last "easy" game we have before finals. It's the only chance he'll have this year to get a taste of senior football otherwise.

Burgoyne plays even if they manage him to 50% game time / can’t just shut him off then on again while fit —not sure where this all is not right nonsense is coming from. He was enormous against the Cats

Burgoyne’s been huge the last 2 weeks. He pretty much played in the middle in both last quarters, throwing his body around like a 20 year old.
Some great possessions and crucial tackles.

If he stays fit this year we are in with a real chance.

Agreed. He’s building for another massive September. It’s what he does.

What chance is BB? Be good to get him in for a couple of games leading up to finals. We've done well without him, and the weeks off may have done him some good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back