Preview Round 23: Richmond v Brisbane | MCG | Sunday 3.20 (25/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish people would have a bit of self-awareness when downplaying Brisbane's form. Discarding their position by saying they had a soft draw is exactly what we faced in 2017. Records are made to be broken and they're as united as they'll ever be rn. I do think it'll go our way by around 3-4 goals though. Let's hope we come out in force to provide some of that atmosphere from the weekend, it's pretty special stuff when you hear that roar.

I'm not downplaying their form, I just don't think they have the style of play to beat us. On the other hand, the Weagles and the Bullies do (also North goddamit). Pies did last year but I doubt they can now that Cox has gone.

Every loss we've had since 2017 the opposition are able to cut us up by maintaining possession and then hitting up a key forward. Melbourne and Essendon tried that but weren't good enough with disposal and we cut them up on the turnovers.

I like Brisbane's style of play but I don't think it's going to bother us. They either need to dominate the hitouts with a mobile ruckman or have two gorilla forwards to really put pressure on us.

But let's see what they have got!

I'm not downplaying their form, I just don't think they have the style of play to beat us. On the other hand, the Weagles and the Bullies do (also North goddamit). Pies did last year but I doubt they can now that Cox has gone.

Every loss we've had since 2017 the opposition are able to cut us up by maintaining possession and then hitting up a key forward. Melbourne and Essendon tried that but weren't good enough with disposal and we cut them up on the turnovers.

I like Brisbane's style of play but I don't think it's going to bother us. They either need to dominate the hitouts with a mobile ruckman or have two gorilla forwards to really put pressure on us.

Great way to put it about Brisbane...let's see what they have got!

The thing with Brisbane is that they are an unknown for us. We know how we match up against West Coast in Perth, Adelaide at AO, Collingwood with an in form Cox, Bulldogs and North Melbourne play against us. These are team that we tend to struggle with at the named venues.

We know how Fremantle, GWS in Melbourne, Hawthorn, Essendon, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Carlton, Melbourne and Sydney play against us. We know that we have the ends on these teams.

We know how Geelong, and Port Adelaide play against us. Games against these teams can sometimes go either way. Sometimes we beat them, sometimes we lose to them.

Not going to lie, I struggle to compare Brisbane’s style to anyone in the league.

I know one thing about their style though - they pressure teams in their forward line. It’s why they are the number one side for inside 50s tackles.
They put a heap of pressure on teams’ defences. It’s going to be very interesting to see whether they can do it at the MCG though because forward pressure is probably the toughest to master on a wide ground like the MCG. Richmond’s defence really knows the MCG very well so I want to see how Brisbane would perform winning the ball in our defensive 50.

All in all, I think Brisbane and Richmond are quite evenly matched from what I saw of both sides so I expect a close one. It really depends on whether the MCG is too unfamiliar for them. West Coast had to endure a GF loss in 2015 and a bunch of MCG losses while they were good to finally overcome their MCG problem, so I don’t know if Brisbane will go through that as well before becoming good at that ground.

The thing with Brisbane is that they are an unknown for us. We know how we match up against West Coast in Perth, Adelaide at AO, Collingwood with an in form Cox, Bulldogs and North Melbourne play against us. These are team that we tend to struggle with at the named venues.

We know how Fremantle, GWS in Melbourne, Hawthorn, Essendon, Gold Coast, St Kilda, Carlton, Melbourne and Sydney play against us. We know that we have the ends on these teams.

We know how Geelong, and Port Adelaide play against us. Games against these teams can sometimes go either way. Sometimes we beat them, sometimes we lose to them.

Not going to lie, I struggle to compare Brisbane’s style to anyone in the league.

I know one thing about their style though - they pressure teams in their forward line. It’s why they are the number one side for inside 50s tackles.
They put a heap of pressure on teams’ defences. It’s going to be very interesting to see whether they can do it at the MCG though because forward pressure is probably the toughest to master on a wide ground like the MCG. Richmond’s defence really knows the MCG very well so I want to see how Brisbane would perform winning the ball in our defensive 50.

All in all, I think Brisbane and Richmond are quite evenly matched from what I saw of both sides so I expect a close one. It really depends on whether the MCG is too unfamiliar for them. West Coast had to endure a GF loss in 2015 and a bunch of MCG losses while they were good to finally overcome their MCG problem, so I don’t know if Brisbane will go through that as well before becoming good at that ground.
Good post, this. Worth pointing out that the Gabba is slightly wider than the MCG, so if they can master forward pressure there the MCG should not pose as much of a problem as you suggest.

Last edited:

I think we will win easily TBH, they are dropping off defensively in these last 4 rounds and if they let us win the inside 50 count and have 25+ shots then they are not getting within 30 points of us.

When teams cut us up with possession they had to play 110% (referring to when the eagles smashed us last year and last years loss to the pies), every pass made, every mark taken had to be with laser like precision.
That doesn’t happen often enough but when it does we are found short.

Good post, this. With pointing out that the Gabba is slightly wider than the MCG, so if they can master forward pressure there the MCG should not pose as much of a problem as you suggest.
Oh is it? I didn't know that. Having a look at the dimensions it looks like the Gabba and the MCG have fairly similar dimensions to each other. That may explain why we did not have a problem travelling there during Brisbane's down periods.

It is really the battle between your forwards and our defence that will make the difference in this game by the sounds of it.
I think we will win easily TBH, they are dropping off defensively in these last 4 rounds and if they let us win the inside 50 count and have 25+ shots then they are not getting within 30 points of us.
How have they been dropping off defensively though?
- Conceded 60 points against Hawthorn away. If it's about the scoring shots, then West Coast had a similar situation against Hawthorn yet they still ended up losing by only 6 points against us through accuracy.
- Conceded 80 points against Bulldogs (no shame considering how offensive Bulldogs have become)
- Conceded 53 points against Gold Coast
- Conceded 74 points against Geelong (no shame in this either).

I don't think they are travelling that bad defensively. If you're talking about scoring shots per inside 50, then we are not the most accurate or efficient side inside 50 either. Our best chance to have a comfortable win is in two situations:
1. If they get overwhelmed by the game. Playing a big game at home like last week is one thing, but playing a big game away at the MCG is another.
2. If our forward line is accurate and efficient. Hard to stop us at the MCG when that happens.

They have been looking a little vulnerable in recent games though. Geelong, Bulldogs, North Melbourne and even Hawthorn pushed them in various ways. West Coast were pretty much the only team since St Kilda just after the bye that pushed us. Hence, I think we have a little more stamina left before the bye than they do. I think we'll win, but I personally won't make the call that it will be a comfortable win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane does have a relatively large following (for Queensland) which comes out of the woodwork.
Be wary of Charlie Cee staging for frees.
Pretended to be slung by a "high tackle" from Danger and received a free kick right in front of goal.
Danger knew he had been played.
Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.

Could just be me but I thought Jack R had shrugged off the cobwebs from his PCL enforced absence and was back to the dangerous Jack of old. Mr Mollison might have done him and all of us a favour with that studs out decision. I've never seen Jack so fired up. If Sunday is dry, Jack and Lynch could wreck havoc. I was also amused by Clarkson's comment on Fox to the effect that umpires should continue penalising Jack in this way simply for the post decision theatre.

not sure what your saying there. the most goals they have conceded in their winning run is 12. The last four weeks they have conceded 7, 11, 8 and 10.

I cant see how they are dropping off defensively. on that winning run i think they have lost the i/50 count just twice yet maaged to win.

I would expect only one change this week, Cotchin in for Ross but it will be interesting to see who is named as emergencies. If the Pies lose there could be some more late changes.
Apart from one howler where he didnt get enough on the ball and turned it over i thought he was very good.He only had 55% game time and did more than enough in that time.

Is there a scenario in which after the games that are played that affect our standing, that we finish 4th win or lose? If so, would that affect team selection? Would we rest players with niggles? Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Is there a scenario in which after the games that are played that affect our standing, that we finish 4th win or lose? If so, would that affect team selection? Would we rest players with niggles? Apologies if this has already been discussed.
Pies lose Friday night and we’ll finish 4th most likely, certainly not any lower. 2nd and 3rd also possible if we make up percentage but that’s a stretch.
But if we do lose, Brisbane will finish top which means we travel there week 1.

Why the need to rest players when everyone gets a week off after this round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back