Preview Round 20 v Melbourne MCG Sunday July 30th 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exactly what roll does Mansell actually play as a forward. He averages 8.4 disposals a game as a roaming forward. 2.5 marks a game, 2.8 tackles, 0.8 goals and 0.1 goal assists. He is hard at the ball I'll give you that, but he is not a small forward by any means.

Pickett has been asked to play Cumberland's roll, a bit of a marking target and try and bring the ball to ground, and he is hardly doing that. He is a wingman asked to do a roll, but Cumberland even in the last game where he was dropped in took 5 marks (the total or Jack, Milkler and Ryan combined). Cumberland has had games of 8 and 6 tackles this season, so it is not like he doesn't tackle and pressure.

What tricky spot. You play an in form Cumberland over 2 continually out of position underperforming players any day of the week, especially when you struggle to dominate the worst side in years West Coast, and are 6 goals behind the third bottom side at 3/4 time.

I would have found a way to get Cumberland in; you need to reward VFL form. And I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid if it was for Pickett.

That said, let’s not downgrade the efforts Marlion has put in playing as a pseudo second tall. He has gone up 2v1 on multiple occasions against Sydney, Eagles and Hawthorn and performed very well, flying for marks just to ensure the ball gets to ground.

Cumberland is a very good mark for his size, but it’s mainly 1v1. Across the year in 2v1 situations he is (understandably) not great. I think if you’re replacing Pickett with Cumberland and expect the latter to play the same role, Pickett would play it better.

Whos even leading our goalkicking? Probably a mid. Makes sense to leave a goal kicking forward kicking s**t in the ressies.

Jack 26 (32nd in league)
Bolton 22 (40th in league)
Dusty 18 (59th in league)
Taranto 17 (70th in league)
Ryan 12 (97th in league)
Clarke 11 (111th in league)
Mansell 10 (125th in league)

dismal forward line without Lunchy

I hope someone has had a word to Miller this week that if he marks inside 50 to have a shot. If we play him in the forward line there’s only one way he’s ever going to build his confidence at kicking goals and that’s to have a go. Bloke has all the tools, needs to start owning his position on the ground

I hope someone has had a word to Miller this week that if he marks inside 50 to have a shot. If we play him in the forward line there’s only one way he’s ever going to build his confidence at kicking goals and that’s to have a go. Bloke has all the tools, needs to start owning his position on the ground
Him and Pickett need to actually mark the ball when they get their hands on it. Both of them are obsessed with tapping the ball down to a team mate even when they're in the perfect position to mark it.

Seems like a coaching directive because the coaches are worried about the oppo taking intercept marks on them.

I would have found a way to get Cumberland in; you need to reward VFL form. And I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid if it was for Pickett.

That said, let’s not downgrade the efforts Marlion has put in playing as a pseudo second tall. He has gone up 2v1 on multiple occasions against Sydney, Eagles and Hawthorn and performed very well, flying for marks just to ensure the ball gets to ground.

Cumberland is a very good mark for his size, but it’s mainly 1v1. Across the year in 2v1 situations he is (understandably) not great. I think if you’re replacing Pickett with Cumberland and expect the latter to play the same role, Pickett would play it better.
Not downgrading Pickett, he is taking one for the team and is obviously a better player up the ground, having said that he hasn't been doing much in that role because it is so foreign to him. Cumberland is a natural forward and when in form, which hasn't been great at AFL level, is a good all round forward.

Thought it was Pickett's best game there last week so hopefully he can follow that up. But Mansell's role could easily be replaced with Cumberland because surely with Baker forward, who is a great pressure player and a dangerous one, plus Martin, Bolton etc, we have enough pressure. Cumberland can go in hard as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack 26 (32nd in league)
Bolton 22 (40th in league)
Dusty 18 (59th in league)
Taranto 17 (70th in league)
Ryan 12 (97th in league)
Clarke 11 (111th in league)
Mansell 10 (125th in league)

dismal forward line without Lunchy
That’s so bad. Shows what our first priority is this off-season.

Riewoldt’s output is good for his age and stage of his career, but he shouldn’t be our highest-scoring forward with his current output.

How many years did Stack get?

How many games in a row did Stack get ibefore injury got him dropped? The club was even considering playing him in a GF coming back from injury. If he had played as well as Marlion in the VFL GF, he would have likekly got in over him. Dimma gave Stack SO MANY opportunities.

Cumbo's ride is nothing like Stack. Stack got kissed on the D for the first 2 years of his career. Cumbo was refused games behind Aarts, Parker & a Castagna that was playing so badly, OUR OWN SUPPORTERS, bullied him so badly he quit at 25. Then after all those guys got moved on, he still couldn't get a game.

There has always been a a certain level of double-standards tbh
Stack played one bad game in 2021 and was never seen again, goerge played s**t loads of bad games.
It was not that we hated George, it was that other players were not given a chance to get a game before him.

Hopper's first game was ??????- I could've played better, yet he is always in the team. If you want a ride that's a ride.

Cumbo needs to be managed, I said the same about Stack -wasted opportunity and partly his own fault, yet we played heaps of plodders before them.

they are going to walk it out of our forward line time and time again, we'll bomb it in all day again

jack is gonna be assaulted by may and that other bloke
THATS another reason why I'm baffled why we didn't play Cumbo. Jack is being teamed and really can't expect him to take two to three players.
Doesnt help when our delivery up forward has been average as well. we got pushed by bottom 4 teams, we need a massive uplift to win against the dees.
Which makes the selection all the more baffling, why keep playing the same players and expecting a different result? where is the thinking on selection?

THATS another reason why I'm baffled why we didn't play Cumbo. Jack is being teamed and really can't expect him to take two to three players.
Doesnt help when our delivery up forward has been average as well. we got pushed by bottom 4 teams, we need a massive uplift to win against the dees.
Which makes the selection all the more baffling, why keep playing the same players and expecting a different result? where is the thinking on selection?
they got till 5pm today to pull the trigger on cumbo

get farrken masnell
out of the side and inject cumbo

Which makes the selection all the more baffling, why keep playing the players and expecting a different result? Where is the thinking on selection?
Isn't that the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result that never happens.

So you’d roll the dice on probably our biggest confidence player on a player that bitch slapped him into submission last time out?
Every player gets beaten at least once in their career by someone . Do we drop Ross next time we play Brisbane bc he accordingly to the MC had a stinker against them this time round? That is the most soul and confidence destroying attitude you could impart on a player. My method would be the opposite to yours and say NIWL this guy towelled you up after quarter time last time we met so you owe him one mate. Go to town on him today. Your attitude is too safe, negative , defensive and soul crushing for players and the team. You’re in RFC pre 2017 and pro 2020 mode and it’s non productive and can only take you so far.

Every player gets beaten at least once in their career by someone . Do we drop Ross next time we play Brisbane bc he accordingly to the MC had a stinker against them this time round? That is the most soul and confidence destroying attitude you could impart on a player. My method would be the opposite to yours and say NIWL this guy towelled you up after quarter time last time we met so you owe him one mate. Go to town on him today. Your attitude is too safe, negative , defensive and soul crushing for players and the team. You’re in RFC pre 2017 and pro 2020 mode and it’s non productive and can only take you so far.
MacIntosh played on McCluggage in the main against Brisbane, Ross played well enough, 21 disposals and 9 marks. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back