Preview Round 7 v Gold Coast Suns Marvel Stadium Sunday 30th April 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

This week we head to Marvel Stadium to face a Suns side who have beaten us on the last 2 occasions we've played them, by 2 points at their ground last year and by 10 points at Marvel Stadium in 2021. Make no mistake this game is no walk in the park especially for a side that sits in 15th on the ladder with a 1-1-4 record.

Possible Line Ups
Tigers:
In - Broad Ross
Out - Ralphsmith(omit) M.Rioli (inj) Prestia(managed)

Suns:
In - Sexton
Out - Miller(inj) Rosas

F: Ryan Cumberland Riewoldt
B: Lemmens Collins Macpherson

HF: Cotchin Martin Mansell
HB: Long Ballard Powell

C: McIntosh Taranto Pickett
C: Weller Swallow Ellis

HB: Baker Vlastun D.Rioli
HF: Ainsworth Chol Sexton

B: Young Grimes Balta
F: Holman King Lukocios

R: Miller Hopper Bolton
R: Witts Rowell Anderson

INT: Broad Short Clarke Ross
INT: Humphrey Fiorini Andrew Casboult

As I mentioned at the top, this game is anything but a walk in the park. We've been struggling for form most of the season and have been prone to fadeouts either late in games, through the middle of games or even just slow out of the blocks. The Suns who are coming off a good win over North, will be looking to build some momentum themselves and getting back in the hunt for a finals spot that they seem to have set as a goal for this season.

Down back we're getting yet another piece back with Broad finally returning from suspension and it kind of gets us back to the structure we want to have with Balta Grimes Vlastuin Broad Baker & D.Rioli as the foundation of our back 6 with Young learning the ropes alongside them intially and Gibcus to return soon. Hopefully the return of Broad will see both Grimes & Vlastuin get back to playing at the standard that we've become accustomed to. Both seem to have really struggled in Broads absence as they are seeming caught between playing their game and covering for his absence. The Suns forwards will provide a different challenge to the Demons with Ben King getting some confidence from a 5 goal haul against North, while Chol & Casboult provide good support in the air and Lukocious has shown he can hit the scoreboard when he is up and running.

It was flagged last week that with back to back to back 6 day breaks Prestia might get a rest and as much as I said this isn't a walk in the park, I'd like to see us give him the week off especially playing on the hard ground at Marvel, the flipside to this is it give an opportunity to Ross to possibly step in to the midfield mix and stake a claim as his form warrants a chance. I also didn't mind the idea of playing Cotchin as a high half forward again after the role worked well on Monday night, with Cotchin being an important link between the midfielders and the forwards. Prestia going out also allows the likes of Bolton and Short to also spend some more time through the middle where there creativity and ball use can be quite damaging as they launch away from stoppages around the ground. The Suns midfield is going to take a hit with Miller out but are still quite capable as a unit and if we don't give them respect they could cause us problems.

Up forward we saw how our forward line can work with quick ball movement into our F50 with Jack and Noah hitting the scoreboard for 7 goals against a strong Dees back line. The Suns backs aren't as well known as them, but won't simply allow us to have it all our own way. If our midfield can get on top and provide plenty of supply into our forwards we can certainly kick a score capable of winning the game. The issue is that we're going to need Ryan and Miller to try and work over Witts, who is a man mountain at 209cm & 111kg, which will not be easy.

The heart says that the Tigers should be good enough to win this and hopefully get ourselves back on the winners list, but the head says don't discount the Suns, especially given their ability to beat us the last 2 games. We should win, but I'm not sure it's going to be a comfortable win by any means.

Tigers by 2-3 goals.

Last edited:
Out :M. Rioli (Inj) , Ralphsmith (omitt), Cotchin (rested)
In: Broad , Sonsie , Ross

Tigers 26 points

Lol Cotchin was one of our better players last night?
Why does he need to be rested he was subbed out the week before & started the sub the week before that.

Lol Cotchin was one of our better players last night?
Why does he need to be rested he was subbed out the week before & started the sub the week before that.
Because we most likely wont need him next week and Sonsie , Ross coming into the side allows these 2 to get game time
has nothing to do with Trents performance last night but more giving him a rest and keeping fresh and allowing Sonsie , Ross time in the game

Because we most likely wont need him next week and Sonsie , Ross coming into the side allows these 2 to get game time
has nothing to do with Trents performance last night but more giving him a rest and keeping fresh and allowing Sonsie , Ross time in the game

Cotch didn’t attend one center bounce played as a high half forward and was much better then the other half forwards Mansell & Maurice. He stays.

Sonsie didn’t even play VFL as he was carry over emergency so I would be very surprised if he comes back into the seniors.

In: Ross, Broad.
Out: Maurice, Mansell & Ralphsmith.

Sonsie maybe the sub.

Cotch didn’t attend one center bounce played as a high half forward and was much better then the other half forwards Mansell & Maurice. He stays.

Sonsie didn’t even play VFL as he was carry over emergency so I would be very surprised if he comes back into the seniors.

In: Ross, Broad.
Out: Maurice, Mansell & Ralphsmith.

Sonsie maybe the sub.
How long will MRJ be out with a hammy?

I reckon Broad should take Bakers spot in defence, Play Baker around the ball more. He will combine well with Hopper and Taranto. You then have Hopper and Taranto and rotate Bolton, Dusty, Baker, Short, Cotchin and maybe Sonsie through the middle. I really don't think we need more than 1 of Cotchin, Prestia, Ross in the team anymore though.

Witts will absolutely dominate the ruck here, we really need to start well and have a lead for when our rucks tire again. Their midfield depth without Miller will hopefully be a problem for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would bring in Bauer for either Rioli/Mansell/Clarke. Point of difference mobile tall that can take a contested mark, do not need to bring the ball to the ground on all occasions. If Ryan is on the ball only threat in the air is Jack.

m8888 the yellow and black writing, i mean i love it but IMPOSSIBLE TO READ campaigner
This week we head to Marvel Stadium to face a Suns side who have beaten us on the last 2 occasions we've played them, by 2 points at their ground last year and by 10 points at Marvel Stadium in 2021. Make no mistake this game is no walk in the park especially for a side that sits in 15th on the ladder with a 1-1-4 record.

Possible Line Ups
Tigers:
In - Broad Ross
Out - Ralphsmith(omit) Mansell (omit) Prestia(managed)

Suns:
In - Sexton
Out - Miller(inj) Rosas

F: Ryan Cumberland Riewoldt
B: Lemmens Collins Macpherson

HF: Cotchin Martin M.Rioli
HB: Long Ballard Powell

C: McIntosh Taranto Pickett
C: Weller Swallow Ellis

HB: Baker Vlastun D.Rioli
HF: Ainsworth Chol Sexton

B: Young Grimes Balta
F: Holman King Lukocios

R: Miller Hopper Bolton
R: Witts Rowell Anderson

INT: Broad Short Clarke Ross
INT: Humphrey Fiorini Andrew Casboult

As I mentioned at the top, this game is anything but a walk in the park. We've been struggling for form most of the season and have been prone to fadeouts either late in games, through the middle of games or even just slow out of the blocks. The Suns who are coming off a good win over North, will be looking to build some momentum themselves and getting back in the hunt for a finals spot that they seem to have set as a goal for this season.

Down back we're getting yet another piece back with Broad finally returning from suspension and it kind of gets us back to the structure we want to have with Balta Grimes Vlastuin Broad Baker & D.Rioli as the foundation of our back 6 with Young learning the ropes alongside them intially and Gibcus to return soon. Hopefully the return of Broad will see both Grimes & Vlastuin get back to playing at the standard that we've become accustomed to. Both seem to have really struggled in Broads absence as they are seeming caught between playing their game and covering for his absence. The Suns forwards will provide a different challenge to the Demons with Ben King getting some confidence from a 5 goal haul against North, while Chol & Casboult provide good support in the air and Lukocious has shown he can hit the scoreboard when he is up and running.

It was flagged last week that with back to back to back 6 day breaks Prestia might get a rest and as much as I said this isn't a walk in the park, I'd like to see us give him the week off especially playing on the hard ground at Marvel, the flipside to this is it give an opportunity to Ross to possibly step in to the midfield mix and stake a claim as his form warrants a chance. I also didn't mind the idea of playing Cotchin as a high half forward again after the role worked well on Monday night, with Cotchin being an important link between the midfielders and the forwards. Prestia going out also allows the likes of Bolton and Short to also spend some more time through the middle where there creativity and ball use can be quite damaging as they launch away from stoppages around the ground. The Suns midfield is going to take a hit with Miller out but are still quite capable as a unit and if we don't give them respect they could cause us problems.

Up forward we saw how our forward line can work with quick ball movement into our F50 with Jack and Noah hitting the scoreboard for 7 goals against a strong Dees back line. The Suns backs aren't as well known as them, but won't simply allow us to have it all our own way. If our midfield can get on top and provide plenty of supply into our forwards we can certainly kick a score capable of winning the game. The issue is that we're going to need Ryan and Miller to try and work over Witts, who is a man mountain at 209cm & 111kg, which will not be easy.

The heart says that the Tigers should be good enough to win this and hopefully get ourselves back on the winners list, but the head says don't discount the Suns, especially given their ability to beat us the last 2 games. We should win, but I'm not sure it's going to be a comfortable win by any means.

Tigers by 2-3 goals.

Oh god a home game at the Disney Dome.

team america vomit GIF

Outs - MRJ, Ralphsmith, Mansell,

Ins- Sonsie (needs to stay in for the rest of the year no questions asked), Ross, broad

Really need gibcus back for young. Would much rather see that development happen

Out: MRJ, Mansell (sub) Ralphsmith, Mcintosh (rest)
In: Broad, Banks, Ross

Give graham another week off and he comes in for Prestia/ Cotchin in the eagles game

The reality is that we are 17th (only above Hawthorn) in amount of scoring shots this season. Taking away out on the full shots, accuracy overall isn’t even the huge problem as we have more goals than behinds (66 goals, 59 behinds). We’re just not going for goal a lot.

Since Marvel Stadium is a smaller ground than the MCG, I’d like to see us go for goal a lot more this round. It doesn’t matter if we miss a lot, but I just want us to start going for goal almost every single time we get a touch inside 50. We should be aiming for 30+ scoring shots just to get our offensive game going.

Luckily for us, Gold Coast isn’t very offensive either, so we should take full advantage of that. Their midfield is solid, but it’s taken a hit with Touk Miller out. Hence, I think our midfield can get on top.

Basically, our offence will win or lose us this game, so I want to see a lot more goals this round (especially from our midfield).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back