Preview Round 22 v Saints Marvel Stadium Sunday August 13th 3.20pm - Last Chance Saloon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Sunday we play our 2nd straight game at Marvel Stadium, this time against the Saints in what is the final chance we have to keep our finals hopes alive. Being a game and a half outside the 8 with a poor % we will need everything to go our way to be able to make it but it won't happen unless we can defeat the Saints on their home deck.

Like us the Saints have managed only 2 wins from their last 5 games, with their 2 wins being against Hawthorn and North, while they have lost to Melbourne Gold Coast and Carlton. The Saints aren't generally a high scoring team, in fact we've actually outscored them by 100 points this year, the problem is that defensively they are quite solid having conceded the 3rd lowest points against this year. It was only back in round 14 that we beat them at the MCG by 20 points so it's not like we can't beat them but that was also Cotchins 300th and I don't think we were ever going to lose that game.

In that game Taranto led the way in the midfield with 38 disposals 10 tackles 6 clearances and a goal, while old campaigners in Martin (35 disposals & 6 clearances) Cotchin (29 disposals 5 tackles 5 clearances and 2 goals) & Prestia (25 disposals 6 tackles & 7 clearances) wound back the clock to their glory days to provide great support. A few weeks later though and Prestia is probably the only one playing anywhere near that sort of level, with Martin and Cotchin unable to get up for the game against the Dogs and Taranto seemingly slowing down a little after carrying the load for most of the year. We will need to have all 4 of them at the best to be able to match it with the Saints midfield that can rack up big numbers themselves.

What will win this game is which teams forwards can capitalize best on their opportunities. We rolled out a different looking forward line against the Dogs with Bauer & Cumberland getting an opportunity to play alongside Jack and while we didn't get the result against the Dogs it should be given another crack against the Saints to see if they can click. After all it's got to be better than kicking it to Jack 3 on 1 and watching him getting belted in the twilight of his career. At the other end of the ground the Saints have their own concerns with their lack of scoreboard impact. Against Carlton they managed 8 goals for the game despite having 7 goals to half time and our back line will be looking to make amends after having a couple of big scores/bags kicked against them in recent weeks.

Now I know that a lot of posters are calling for us to wheel out the kids, but I don't expect it to happen this week especially given it's effectively the last chance we have to keep finals alive. So I'm expecting to see the likes of Grimes Martin & Cotchin all returning while we're likely to lose Hopper & Rioli to injury while Soldo is a chance to make way to give us a better balanced side to try and go with the Saints after we were unable to run with the Dogs on Friday night.

Possible Line Up:
B: Balta Young Grimes
HB: Short Broad Vlastuin
C: McIntosh Taranto Ross
HF: Pickett Bolton Baker
F: Cumberland Martin Riewoldt
R: Nankervis Prestia Cotchin
INT: Coulthard Graham Banks Bauer
EMG: Soldo Dow Brown Mansell

Heart says Tigers break their Marvel hoodoo and get the win to keep our hopes alive, but the head says the Saints get over the line in a close one to finally put us out of our misery.

Even if we are mathematically a chance to make the 8, I think we just all need to see a response in terms of effort and performance. When we were smashed by the Lions, the boys bounced back against the Swans(after a slow 1st half admittedly). So I am optimistic we will see better effort across the 4qtrs this week. Dogs were allowed to walk all over the ground with little to no pressure in the 1st quarter and the game was over before we knew it.

Honestly can't predict selections, Hopper will go out with concussion, a few may join him. Cotch and Dusty will come back in, I hope Bauer and Banks hold their spots. Bauer showed enough and no doubt allowed Jack to move a little more freely.

I have a feeling we'll see a Tom Brown debut before the seasons out, if it's not this week then it will be the following v the Roos IMO.

Saints by 7 goals.
Josh Battle to kick five.
Wilkie four.

Must lose game. End our season so the North game is meaningless and we can send off our retiring champs at a home game.

Sure, they haven’t retired but surely an ass kicking this week will see it happen
new coach might want em to go on another year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

taranto was in brownlow form until hopper came back now hes a spud

was averaging over 30 touches before round 16 and afterwards he hasn't hit 30 once
hopper should play vfl until he wins the magarey medal

wonder if they will try get us the win this week

AFL would love there to be like 10 teams battling for 7th and 8th place in the final round
Makes sense but Saints always absolutely smack us at Marvel even in our Premiership years.

Speed and footskills needed .... Sonsie is in good form.

Would love to see Graham, McIntosh and Hopper make way for Sonsie, Martin and Cotchin.

Pickett back on the wing, with Bauer and Cumberland in the forward line Sonsie and Banks have the footskills to hit them on the tit. That's what you need to do at Marvel to win ... Marks inside 50.

Should rest all our players so we can scrape past North at the G

Then just dont show up for round 24

I'll be there to watch us get flogged by 10 goals! Game will be done in Q1
I had 3 sips of beer on the couch in the dogs game and the game was over lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back