Preview Round 21 v Western Bulldogs Marvel Stadium Friday August 4th 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week we head to Marvel Stadium for the first of 2 back to back games at the venue. The Dogs will be looking to bounce back after a 'shock' loss to the Giants in Ballarat, while we'll be looking to play spoiler for another side fighting for the 8 and possibly getting our own faint hopes back in track.

We should be strengthened by the return of co captain Nankervis and Jayden Short, while the likes of Bauer and Cumberland are also chances to be selected if we look to bring in some fresh legs coming off a shorter break and running out of puff in the last quarter against the Dees.

It will be interesting to see which way selection goes with regards to do we continue to play the same core group that have featured all year or do we start to reward some more of the youth, that has been pressing for select with solid VFL form.

The Dogs will be hampered by their own injury concerns with a number of their key backs getting hurt against the Giants which could be a blessing for us given our woes with our key forwards not really impacting as we'd like.

We can't really go moving Balta forward again as the Dogs have a good group of marking options up forward so we'll need our back line to be at its best, while our midfield will have their hands full against a Dogs midfield led by Bontempelli and Liberatore, plus the hard running of Smith and Macrae.

Possible changes:
Out: Miller Pickett Cotchin(managed) Mansell
In: Bauer Nankervis Short Coulthard

B: Balta Grimes Young
HB: D.Rioli Broad Vlatuin
C: McIntosh Taranto Ross
HF: Graham Baker Short
F: Bauer Martin Riewoldt
R: Nankervis Prestia Bolton
INT: Soldo Hopper Coulthard Banks
SUB: Cumberland

This week we head to Marvel Stadium for the first of 2 back to back games at the venue. The Dogs will be looking to bounce back after a 'shock' loss to the Giants in Ballarat, while we'll be looking to play spoiler for another side fighting for the 8 and possibly getting our own faint hopes back in track.

We should be strengthened by the return of co captain Nankervis and Jayden Short, while the likes of Bauer and Cumberland are also chances to be selected if we look to bring in some fresh legs coming off a shorter break and running out of puff in the last quarter against the Dees.

It will be interesting to see which way selection goes with regards to do we continue to play the same core group that have featured all year or do we start to reward some more of the youth, that has been pressing for select with solid VFL form.

The Dogs will be hampered by their own injury concerns with a number of their key backs getting hurt against the Giants which could be a blessing for us given our woes with our key forwards not really impacting as we'd like.

We can't really go moving Balta forward again as the Dogs have a good group of marking options up forward so we'll need our back line to be at its best, while our midfield will have their hands full against a Dogs midfield led by Bontempelli and Liberatore, plus the hard running of Smith and Macrae.

Possible changes:
Out: Miller Pickett Cotchin(managed) Mansell
In: Bauer Nankervis Short Coulthard

B: Balta Grimes Young
HB: D.Rioli Broad Vlatuin
C: McIntosh Taranto Ross
HF: Graham Baker Short
F: Bauer Martin Riewoldt
INT: Soldo Hopper Coulthard Banks
SUB: Cumberland

Spot on selections

I wouldn't be dropping Mansell. Played his role up forward beautifully yesterday before getting switched with Balta in the last.
Thought it was one of his better performances.

Last edited:
Putting this one in as an L for the following reasons.

1. Playing at the dump that we suck at continuously.
2. We aren't very good even away from the dump.
3. 5 day break
4. Must win game.

Dogs by 38
you forgot to mention the biggest reason of them all

the umps

Putting this one in as an L for the following reasons.

1. Playing at the dump that we suck at continuously.
2. We aren't very good even away from the dump.
3. 5 day break
4. Must win game.

Dogs by 38
Suspecting (and maybe even hoping) the dogs will just put us out of our misery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody Marvel. Couldn’t even beat Bulldogs at the MCG, so I’m not waiting for us to win there. And this game will probably start and end in the midfield.

Only hope is if their forward line miss a lot of set shots. Bulldogs by 35 points.

This game is must win if we want to play finals, but I keep asking myself, what is the point?

I hate that we're currently a team treading water. You either want to be contending or on the rise, and right now it just feels like we're bobbing around waiting to drown.
make finals and get pies umpiring for 3 weeks and we win the flag

This team might be a bit extreme, but I'd love for us to just use the last four weeks to put time into kids that we think could be best 22 in the future (with maybe a Jack/Cotch farewell game thrown in against North).

B: Broad Balta Young
HB: D.Rioli Vlastuin Short
C: Ross Taranto Banks
HF: Baker Bauer Graham
F: Coulthard Ryan Martin
IC: Trezise Hopper Mansell Cumberland
SUB: Clarke

In: Nankervis Cumberland Ryan Bauer Short Trezise Clarke
Out: Soldo Cotchin Miller Pickett McIntosh Grimes Riewoldt

• McIntosh a little bit stiff, but I want us to pump games into Banks + see how he goes on the wing, given Rioli and Short aren't going to be going anywhere for a while and I don't want him stuck in the twos. I'd like to see what Trezise can do down back too.
  • Soldo incredibly unlucky, but with Ryan coming into the team (mainly to play up forward), we'd be too tall and slow with all three of them. I'd sooner go with the smaller player in Cumberland, who deserves a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back