Preview Round 3, 2024: Hawthorn v Geelong, 1st April 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pleased to see Hustwaite get a chance, hopefully he impresses. It will be interesting to see where he plays when he's not running through the midfield.

Can't see Morrison being the sub, I don't think he's the kind of player that would have an immediate impact. I'm guessing it will be Breust or Watson? Hopefully Morrison plays on one wing and offers some composure.

It was the right call to drop Reeves after what was obviously two poor games.

Will Simon Crawshay get an apology for daring to suggest that something like this could happen?

Pleased to see Hustwaite get a chance, hopefully he impresses. It will be interesting to see where he plays when he's not running through the midfield.

Can't see Morrison being the sub, I don't think he's the kind of player that would have an immediate impact. I'm guessing it will be Breust or Watson? Hopefully Morrison plays on one wing and offers some composure.

Will Simon Crawshay get an apology for daring to suggest that something like this could happen?
Of course not. The 1 hit out to advantage hard to replace. Wait…Chol had 2.
Excellent selections really surprised credit to the match committee. good to see Stephens and JOS back for Box Hill.

I think he's someone that can have an impact with his run and carry. I think id rather a runner as the sub to take advantage of tired legs. He'd be far more involved in the game than bringing on a fwd.

I think he's someone that can have an impact with his run and carry. I think id rather a runner as the sub to take advantage of tired legs. He'd be far more involved in the game than bringing on a fwd.

Morrison isn't really someone who runs and carries though - he's had 8 running bounces in his career.

He finds space, marks it and then stops and assesses his options. He's a relatively low metres gained player for a wingman and isn't a line-breaker. To that end he could provide some balance to Weddle.

Agree that he could be more involved. He's a smart player and gets to good positions so could hopefully sneak forward for a few shots or at least help pull apart defensive structures.

You cant say anything bad about our Lord and Savior Reeves, you will be crucified!

Morrison isn't really someone who runs and carries though - he's had 8 running bounces in his career.

He finds space, marks it and then stops and assesses his options. He's a relatively low metres gained player for a wingman and isn't a line-breaker. To that end he could provide some balance to Weddle.

Agree that he could be more involved. He's a smart player and gets to good positions so could hopefully sneak forward for a few shots or at least help pull apart defensive structures.
I like him playing that defensive wing role as you say dropping back to cover for weddle CJ Seamus BMac whoever runs up the right side. See D’Ambrosio doing similar once we have a similar left side speed setup!

I wonder if Ramsden comes in for Gunston with Breust as the sub.

Didn't look too bad round 1 with Gunston + Lewis + Chol w/ Watson, Ginnivan, Moore, Breust as smalls. Actually worked well besides the goal kicking.

Ramsden can be second ruck so Chol doesn't have to get subbed.

Finn wasn't brought on to hard tag, as Sam clearly wanted to give Finn the opportunity to provide some run(which he did) and make a go of another role in the side. It didn't really impact at all, which happens.

Doesn't make Finn a favourite.
It was a stupid decision by Sam.

Finn one of the fittest players in the AFL was used as a sub in round 1 on a hot day when every player would cramp, how people think it's a bad sub decision is beyond me.
The bold is exactly why he shouldn't be sub. He should be able to run his opponents off their legs and go further. Then you bring on a fresh player who has better skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not against giving Finn the opportunity to play with a bit more freedom, but let him practise that at VFL level first before AFL level.
Prior to tagging his VFL roles were primarily about learning other positions iirc
I'm ok with Finn to learn to play better whilst tagging, similar to Sewell and Ling.

I'm hoping ramma gets a crack with gunners out, pending weather.
It was when the rain came down last year that we started to get torched, so I'm hoping it stays dry

Hoping the cats are predictable and go to Hawkins constantly in his 350th and we DBL team him - need to effectively lockdown on Jezza as well which is gonna be tough

It was a stupid decision by Sam.
Just because it didn’t work or you don’t understand what was behind it, doesn’t make it stupid.

Just because it didn’t work or you don’t understand what was behind it, doesn’t make it stupid.
When it was announced prior to the game I thought it was a stupid decision. And now listening to the rationale, it's even more stupid.

When it was announced prior to the game I thought it was a stupid decision. And now listening to the rationale, it's even more stupid.
What was the rationale you’re listening to?

What was the rationale you’re listening to?
People are saying that he is extra fit or that we are giving him an opportunity to have more freedom to show his wares. Or there might be some secret squirrel reason that I am not aware of.

He hasn't improved his disposal. As others have said that is better learned at Box Hill. I'm all for him tagging and learning to become damaging like Ling and Sewell (and other taggers). But if he isn't tagging then skill wise there are others who should be in the team before him. Especially as sub.

I like Ramsden but I don't think he's ready. I didn't see the entire BH game last week but he still lacks poise with ball and drops too many marks. I think that needs to start dominating at BH. He is that type of player. Then we'll know he's ready. And then we can sit back and start smoking cigars.

I like Ramsden but I don't think he's ready. I didn't see the entire BH game last week but he still lacks poise with ball and drops too many marks. I think that needs to start dominating at BH. He is that type of player. Then we'll know he's ready. And then we can sit back and start smoking cigars.
I don't mind Ramsden just worry about Chol, Lewis and him

We might be way to slow in our forward 50 but at least we swapping the magnets around after 2 horrible weeks

Meeky had a great game, and was reportedly competitive against Draper the week prior, but he was against a combination of Fullarton and a first gamer. I'd probably give him another week at BH to back up the performance.
Doesn't say much for Melbourne's ruck depth than seeing as Fullarton IS Gawn's backup. He's not a rookie been in the system a while and got beaten easily as he's clearly IMO not much chop. We seem to have some rucks that are in that inbetweener level. Very good at the lower grade but can't make the transition to AFL as of yet. Particularly in Meek's case. Needs to throw that big body around alot more. Cause some chaos around the stoppages.

Doesn't say much for Melbourne's ruck depth than seeing as Fullarton IS Gawn's backup. He's not a rookie been in the system a while and got beaten easily as he's clearly IMO not much chop. We seem to have some rucks that are in that inbetweener level. Very good at the lower grade but can't make the transition to AFL as of yet. Particularly in Meek's case. Needs to throw that big body around alot more. Cause some chaos around the stoppages.
We have an ordinary ruck contingent as things stand, would rather someone who competes and gives us something outside the square. Let’s see if he can do that and can take this opportunity. Otherwise Tim English works…😉

People are saying that he is extra fit or that we are giving him an opportunity to have more freedom to show his wares. Or there might be some secret squirrel reason that I am not aware of.

He hasn't improved his disposal. As others have said that is better learned at Box Hill. I'm all for him tagging and learning to become damaging like Ling and Sewell (and other taggers). But if he isn't tagging then skill wise there are others who should be in the team before him. Especially as sub.
Finn as sub was a bad call that made little sense and will hopefully not be repeated

You can only play against the opposition that's thrown at you. He had to dominate Fullarton and did

Granted Meek may not be the answer but I still think he will be better as a solo ruck being around the ball more, not playing 2nd fiddle in the 22

What do we have to lose? If Meek spuds and Reeves regresses we will know that we need to hunt for another option on the trade table (someone like Moyle from GC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back